BSA Tour de France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JuanLobbe

Über Member
HI all

I've managed to get hold of a BSA Tour de France that was abandoned on waste ground near my work. I'd like to restore it to working order (perhaps even get it powder coated, who knows). I was wondering how to find out the parts I'll need. I know a bit about about the wheels, chain and cassette, but where can I find out about gear levers, derailleurs, cables, bottom bracket etc etc?

Any advice much appreciated. I have had a look at Veterans Cycle Club Library but not much joy. Also can't see a serial number on it anywhere - thought it'd be underneath but no joy.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Looks in great condition for its age. No rust on the frame I can see so best left alone. Unmolested as one of our contributors regularly says. Check the BB by wiggling it side to side to check for play. Can't see the chain set or gear cassette so look for 'hooked' or sharp teeth. Its possible its seen little use in which case just replace the cables, grease bearings in BB and hubs. New brake blocks. Might need new tyres and inners and should then be ready to ride.

Great find.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Is it a steel or alloy rim?

The T de F label is a bit of a misnomer as this was a basic 'cooking' model so don't expect any great performance from it. It dates I would guess from the seventies, although someone will come up with a more accurate time line.

Just seen your powder coating comment. DONT DO IT!

One more thing check the headset bearings by holding on the front brake and pulling the bars back and forth, you'll feel any play. Raise the front wheel and make sure the bars go from lock to lock smoothly without binding.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjr

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I thought for a moment it was sporting fulcrum racing 5s, but they are just positioned behind it!

If the hubs are fine then suggest getting the wheel rebuilt by LBS or wheel builder to keep the period look.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Looks like a later model, the chainwheel has been modified - the inner ring looks different. Great to see this old model.

Top Bottom