BSA Tour de France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I’m struggling with the headset now, I have a washer that I don’t know where it goes.

I’m going to take it down the lbs in a minute, hopefully they’ll tell me where to put it, I need some bearings for it anyway.

EDIT: It seems I had the foresight to photograph bits of the headset when I was taking it apart, I found where the washer goes.

IMG_6895.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
More progress this afternoon, I got some bearings and bits n bobs from the lbs, and put the fork back on, had a bit of a faff with the handle bar stem, I didn’t know there was some kind of nut device EDIT (Expander plug according to Zinn & and the Art of Bike Maintenance) that splays the stem stem out to keep the bars in place. It was only when I was poking around the head tube that I found it . Cleaned it up, greased it and now it’s installed.

8D06DB79-AD81-45F7-937B-3C32E72A4295.jpeg

I was about to put the chain ring back on, but when I offered it up, the gap between the rings and the edge of th BB looks big. @biggs682 , @SkipdiverJohn , @midlife your opinion please?
A6681C32-84C7-481C-B882-000CD2AAAA56.jpeg

Last edited:

davidphilips

Veteran
Measure from the centre of your down tube to the centre of the chain wheel this is the measurement that needs to be right, https://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html

As long as you are using the bottom bracket spindle that you removed then as long as both pedals are same distance from down tube you should be correct.

With more modern bikes as far as i remember measurement from centre of down tube to centre of chain wheels is 43.5 mm for correct chain line.

PS Yes lots are still interested in BSAs progress keep posting, ttfn.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Measure from the centre of your down tube to the centre of the chain wheel this is the measurement that needs to be right, https://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html

As long as you are using the bottom bracket spindle that you removed then as long as both pedals are same distance from down tube you should be correct.

With more modern bikes as far as i remember measurement from centre of down tube to centre of chain wheels is 43.5 mm for correct chain line.

PS Yes lots are still interested in BSAs progress keep posting, ttfn.

That makes sense, thank you. It is the same spindle, and i'm sure its the right way round it's just the gap looked big.

Does it fit know ?

yes, thanks, though I've not put the cotter pin in yet, I've run out of time to today.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I’ve been a bit extravagant, these came in the post today.

816B9426-1B81-4016-A360-16C5073E6B21.jpeg

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
HELP! Any idea why I can't get the rear wheel into to the drop outs? Have I bought the wrong wheel? Do those inner nut have to come off? do I need to pull apart the chain stay a bit? HELP!

new wheel.jpg

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Measure the distance between the frame dropouts, I guess it's 120mm.if the hub is new it might be 130 mm

How to measure is on this famous Web page

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

You're correct! Bol and may i add for good measure Locks! The drop outs are 120mm and the wheel is 130mm, but the front wheel and drop outs are 100. Feck Feck Fecckity feck feck. It was all going so well today.

EDIT: WOULD YOU RECOMMEND SPREADING THE FRAME AS PER THE LINK?

AND, I can not find for the life of me my brake levers, I spent hours cleaning them up and now I can't find the feckers! I have two plastic boxes, one for stuff that needs cleaning the blue one and the red one for stuff that's clean and the levers are not in either. Where the blumen' blast feck are they! grrrr.

Top Bottom