BSA Tour de France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
What did you use to clean those hoods? They've come up really well.

Very hot soapy water to clean it all and DD7 rubbed in and left over night and more soapy water. Left to dry in the airing cupboard.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Just as a mater of interest MR Mussel oven cleaner will take years of grime of hoods in seconds, never left it on just put it on and washed it of right away.

looking forward to the build up of the BSA.

I wish I’d thought of that.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Gawd! what bloody faff this was, the front derailleur, easy enough to take apart and clean, but two and a half hours to put it back together, getting it wrong on the way, losing a screw, looking outside for it then realising the screw was in the thing, just in the wrong place. I am never never ever going to take one of those apart ever again.

IMG_7078.JPG

IMG_7079.JPG

IMG_7080.JPG

IMG_7081.JPG

A3FCD09C-1D7F-4153-BBB4-8B44C05FFDF6.jpeg

5EA7BD4B-935E-4CE3-A03A-F2B84874F070.jpeg

1777DBBD-B989-4C74-81A3-3BB8731D8A31.jpeg

E59720DA-A687-4604-BF3A-3CABCA2A5E7A.jpeg

There is a spring underneath the right hand top screw, that flicks the arm to left and up, trying to get that down and to stay while refitting the screw took some Heath Robinson style clamping, then i put the wrong feckin screw in and had to start again. Gah! knowing my bloody luck the sodding thing won't work now.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
And yet another update.

Cleaned up the down tube shifters and some other bits n pieces today, including the seat clamp for the brooks saddle which was brown with rust, another 3 hours work, still, its a nice day set up the bench outside and did whilst listening to the iPlayer radio.

IMG_E7091.JPG

Before.

IMG_7101.JPG

IMG_E7103.JPG

After. Took them apart cleaned them up as best I could.

IMG_E7094.JPG

IMG_E7095.JPG

IMG_E7097.JPG

IMG_E7098.JPG

Seat clamp, that was in a right 2 n 8.

IMG_E7092.JPG

IMG_7100.JPG

I've just realised that I think I've threaded that screw in upside down.

Only about half dozen small thing to clean up now before I start to put it all back together.

davidphilips

Veteran
Thats a lot of time and work, full credit to you and i hope the BSA goes great for you, its some thing you will never forget.

PS Please dont lend it to any one or use it in the rain.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Thats a lot of time and work, full credit to you and i hope the BSA goes great for you, its some thing you will never forget.

Thanks it has been a lot of work so far, it’s an interesting experience, I’m not naturally mechanically minded, but because the bike was free I don’t really have any to lose, I’m learning a lot.

PS Please dont lend it to any one or use it in the rain.

Fair enough, I’m not evem sure if it’s the right size for me! I’ve measured it, the sums add up, but looking at if it seems small. We shall see. There’s a back story to this bike which I’ll write about briefly when it’s finished.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I’ve just spent a very pleasant hour or so in the garage cleaning the last bits and pieces of chrome, nuts, bolts and odds and sods. Nothing left now but to put everything back on the bike. This will be interesting, cos I’m not sure if I can remember where all the bits go.

I’m not sure if anyone is that interested in this project, but it’s a useful record for me. I’ll be on holiday for a few days next week so it will be a while before it’s complete.

stalagmike

Enormous member
I'm interested. I too am worried that when I go to put my Holdsworth back together I won't remember where it all goes but that's part of the learning curve I guess. I'm only half way through my first rebuild and I'm already trying to persuade the Mrs that she really needs a nice steel framed mixte to complement her Giant hybrid.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I’m not sure if anyone is that interested in this project.

I'm always interested in these sort of topics. A bike doesn't have to be fancy and exotic to make it worth spending time rescuing and sorting out. It just needs to be made of steel and of classic design, even if it was a cheapo new, was given FOC, or dragged out of someone's bin. Whilst we'd all like to own a collection of pristine, one-owner machines with a history from new, the reality is most old bikes of the type we like on here have had a hard life and been through the hands of at least one owner who didn't take as much care of them as they should. That gives us more of a challenge, and I find it very informative reading up on how someone else has stripped and de-rusted their project as I might learn something useful to copy when doing my own ones.

Top Bottom