BSA Tour de France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
First thing I would look at is for any spacers on the axle that can be removed. If so you might be able to just open the frame a bit to get the wheel in rather than actually spreading the frame.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
First thing I would look at is for any spacers on the axle that can be removed. If so you might be able to just open the frame a bit to get the wheel in rather than actually spreading the frame.

There are no spacers as such, unless the two nuts on each side ( the darker one near the cog) are spacers?

new wheel_LI.jpg

midlife

Guru
There might be some spacers between the dark nuts and the cones. Is the freewheel on tight or can you remove it. If removing spacers you have to remove from both sides so the wheel stays in the middle of the frame.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
There might be some spacers between the dark nuts and the cones. Is the freewheel on tight or can you remove it. If removing spacers you have to remove from both sides so the wheel stays in the middle of the frame.

OK, I'l have a look.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
On closer inspection it looks like the real difference is about 5/6 mm, I maybe able to with a neighbour pull apart the the chain stays and fit the wheel. I'll give that some thought. In the meantime I have emailed the supplier of the wheel to see if they will swap it with one the correct size. Can't do much more today, I'm waiting for a replacement pin for my chain tool so I'cant put the chain on yet, plus there other jobs to keep me going for now.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
If not I'm sure companies like Weldtite do replacement solid axles, maybe they do a 120mm one? Usually about a fiver.

Panic Over. The Fragrant Mrs P has just come home and pulled the stays apart whilst I offered up the wheel, it fits!

Many thanks for your help and advice, I was panicking I think. I really do not have any idea about what I am doing, it's all trial and error.

Oh, and I have found the brake levers... they were in the airing cupboard.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Right then, wheels notwithstanding, I've made a bit of progress today, started putting things back on the frame.

IMG_7141.JPG

Short mudguards as supplied by @walkman-man everything else so far as original on the bike, except new cotter pins on the cranks and brake blocks.

View attachment 433887

IMG_7143.JPG

IMG_7144.JPG

IMG_7145.JPG

One of the things I’ve learned today is that you can put a cotter pin in the wrong way round.

2ADB3D4F-E4F9-4660-8B6C-287BDA5760F2.jpeg

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
All coming together :smile: if I was being picky I'd say the saddle clamp is the wrong way round. :smile:

IMG_7230Unicatopsmaller.jpg

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Those of us who insist on riding steel bikes don't need to worry about springing open a frame by a quarter of an inch to make a wheel slot in. It's the carbon fibre and aluminium devotees whose frames may crack or work-harden who are going to have a problem if replacement bits aren't an exact fit.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
There are no spacers as such, unless the two nuts on each side ( the darker one near the cog) are spacers?

View attachment 433863

OK, I'l have a look.

If not I'm sure companies like Weldtite do replacement solid axles, maybe they do a 120mm one? Usually about a fiver.

Panic Over. The Fragrant Mrs P has just come home and pulled the stays apart whilst I offered up the wheel, it fits!

Many thanks for your help and advice, I was panicking I think. I really do not have any idea about what I am doing, it's all trial and error.

Oh, and I have found the brake levers... they were in the airing cupboard.

Before I posted with the wheel problem, I had contacted the company I bought the wheels from; Baldwin Cycles; an eBay seller, they are going to send me some thinner nuts FOC, that should sort out the the problem with out the faff of resetting the rear fork.

Top Bottom