BSA Tour de France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
As mentioned in the other thread I’ve made a start on mine.

The bike is now a box of bits.

From this to this.

82564D5E-EB32-42D3-8512-5A75411DCDF3.jpeg

To this

8D32D283-014D-4A48-862E-BE52B55494C8.jpeg

Can someone tell me if this (below) comes off and if so how ?

27EFF183-A039-4903-B694-46FC17C3F1BF.jpeg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Well done so far. @biggs682 is your man!

Oldfentiger

Veteran
@CarlP either use a spanner that fits across the flats poss 9/16ths size but could be wrong , if it's rock tight then get a big nut and bolt poke the bolt through from the bottom bracket and just keep tightening the nut up and as it gets really tight it should start to unwind the bottom bracket shell , see 1966 Dawes Debonair

The drive side cup is RH thread, isn't it? If so, by continuing to wind when the nut is tight will be further tightening the BB cup.
Apologies if I have this arse about face. :smile:

Oldfentiger

Veteran
It works on all the one's i have struggled to undo due to being rusted etc etc in place and it doesn't do any damage either
The penny has just dropped :idea:
With the nut inside the B.B. and using a socket to tighten it, the B.B. cup will unscrew.
Apologies for the muppetry.

midlife

Guru
Buy some caged bearings from weldtite :smile:. Otherwise use grease to hold them in with the frame horizontal.. Put the bearings in via the hole in the cup. Then slide the axle in. Hold axle and spin bike over, fill other cup with balls held in with grease and screw on

Or buy some caged balls from weldtite,

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Buy some caged bearings from weldtite :smile:. Otherwise use grease to hold them in with the frame horizontal.. Put the bearings in via the hole in the cup. Then slide the axle in. Hold axle and spin bike over, fill other cup with balls held in with grease and screw on

Or buy some caged balls from weldtite,

Thanks for the info

I was wondering why they weren't caged when I took them out, just loose in the bb shell, I can't work out how they stayed in though, I didn't pay much attention when they came out. I wonder if there is still a bearing race on the shell.

Top Bottom