BSO

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Indeed. A driving forum I used to post in ages ago used to use the term 'car operator' to define those people who use a car to get from A to B yet have no knowledge of how they work or how to maintain them, or have few driving skills beyond those required to pass the test (or even less due to losing those skills deliberately or otherwise).

Basically to distinguish a person who might use their car/bike/lawnmower/kite/whatever as a means to an end, from those who are enthusiasts.

If you know who sees this as snobbery then I really don't care any more.

I agree mate. I can make myself dinner from scratch but I am not a chef. However the definition of a chef is someone who prepares a meal from scratch.

apollo179

Repeating a post does not make it any more sensible.

If as you said "being a cyclist is more than just riding a bike. It is a state of mind."
How can you judge if anyone is a cyclist - what do you know about anybodys state of mind ???
What do you know about Mr X who habitually cycles down the pub but you say isnt a cyclist.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
If as you said "being a cyclist is more than just riding a bike. It is a state of mind."
How can you judge if anyone is a cyclist - what do you know about anybodys state of mind ???
What do you know about Mr X who habitually cycles down the pub but you say isnt a cyclist.

I talk to people. That is often a good way to discover things about them.

apollo179

Indeed. A driving forum I used to post in ages ago used to use the term 'car operator' to define those people who use a car to get from A to B yet have no knowledge of how they work or how to maintain them, or have few driving skills beyond those required to pass the test (or even less due to losing those skills deliberately or otherwise).

Basically to distinguish a person who might use their car/bike/lawnmower/kite/whatever as a means to an end, from those who are enthusiasts.

If you know who sees this as snobbery then I really don't care any more.

If you cant see that that is snobbery then theres clearly something seriously wrong with you.
Let me be as clear as i can be so hopefully you will understand.
Differentiating car operator from (presumably) driver as you have described is snobbery.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I admit my incorrect presumption and apologise. Acronyms can confuse if you arnt familiar.

Agreed, ever heard the term bso ?

Top Bottom