BSO

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I there are 2 definitions. That's not uncommon with words.

Cyclist, n.
1) A person on a bicycle, no matter how often they ride it
2) Someone who habitually cycles, be that professionally, as a hobby, or for regular transportation.

The thing is, hardly anyone in group 1 would describe themselves as a cyclist, but most people in group 2 would.

So maybe we can differentiate between the definitions by saying that someone who only cycles occasionally to the pub is only a cyclist during that journey. Someone who cycles a lot and loves it is always a cyclist.

Anyway, will you kids stop bickering! ;)
Apollo, you do seem unnecessarily touchy about this.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I disagree with you. If I have trainers on and run for a bus I am not a runner am I. I am someone engaged in the act of running for that moment. To me a POB is like the person who runs for the bus. A cyclist someone who runs on a regular basis with end goals and ambitions.
Wearing trainers and then running for a bus is different than actively lifting your leg over a bike and pedalling down the road to the pub.
Is someone that only drives to the supermarket not a motorist?

apollo179

I can extrapolate based upon person experience and the experiences of others that my statement is true. If / when I am proven wrong I will happily admit it.

The issue of judging the state of mind of "Someone who only uses the bike to get to and from the pub" is further complicated by the fact that obviously his state of mind will be different before and after going to the pub.
Does your reseach take this into account?

Mad at urage

Ahhh, Benb, :hello: :thumbsup: differentiate, yes :thumbsup: . As in:

differentiate
1 [+ obj] : to make (someone or something) different in some way
"The only thing that differentiates the twins is the color of their eyes."
2 : to see or state the difference or differences between two or more things
:thumbsup:

As opposed to:
snobbery
disapproving : the behavior or attitude of people who think they are better than other people : the behavior or attitude of snobs
:angry:
snobs
disapproving : someone who tends to criticize, reject, or ignore people who come from a lower social class, have less education, etc.
:angry:
elitist
disapproving: giving special treatment and advantages to wealthy and powerful people

Some people like to make out that these are all the same thing though ... I'm not sure why! :whistle:

apollo179

I there are 2 definitions. That's not uncommon with words.

Cyclist, n.
1) A person on a bicycle, no matter how often they ride it
2) Someone who habitually cycles, be that professionally, as a hobby, or for regular transportation.

The thing is, hardly anyone in group 1 would describe themselves as a cyclist, but most people in group 2 would.

So maybe we can differentiate between the definitions by saying that someone who only cycles occasionally to the pub is only a cyclist during that journey. Someone who cycles a lot and loves it is always a cyclist.

Anyway, will you kids stop bickering! ;)
Apollo, you do seem unnecessarily touchy about this.

Unnecessarily ?
People are happy to slag of human rights lawyers until they get there doors kicked in by storm troopers at 3 in the morning and shipped of to guantanamo.
Good definition btw.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Unnecessarily ?
People are happy to slag of human rights lawyers until they get there doors kicked in by storm troopers at 3 in the morning and shipped of to guantanamo.
Good definition btw.

WTF has human rights lawyers and Guantanamo got to do with definitions of cyclists?

apollo179

i was reading this earlier and i decided to register to say my 2 cents

i have a bike which some of you may label as a "bso" but i am very happy with it. it got me into cycling and now i will most probably upgrade to a better bike. bsos arent all that bad.

Welcome aboard.
Great first post btw.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
i was reading this earlier and i decided to register to say my 2 cents

i have a bike which some of you may label as a "bso" but i am very happy with it. it got me into cycling and now i will most probably upgrade to a better bike. bsos arent all that bad.

Good for you, that's fantastic.

For every person like you, there are 10 BSOs rusting in a shed, the owners having given up on cycling due to their heavy, uncomfortable bike.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
WTF has human rights lawyers and Guantanamo got to do with definitions of cyclists?
Apollo has pretty much invoked Goodwins Law. This is the time to walk away from this thread.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
@benb yes i know alot of people who have brought bikes and hardly ever rode them because they are uncomfortable. these people think they are buying a great bike. unlike me who knew the bike i was buying wasnt that good and knew cycling would be hard on it. i decided that if i liked it only a little bit i would carry on and buy a new bike.

They you get a big thumbs up.

What I think a lot of people don't realise is that you can get a decent cheap bike that is not a BSO - that is, it is perfectly servicable and will last for a good few years. And by cheap, I mean sub £200. Probably not as cheap as a crap BSO, but not very expensive. For riders starting out, I would recommend a decent second hand bike, where you can get a good bike for £150.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
@benb yes i know alot of people who have brought bikes and hardly ever rode them because they are uncomfortable. these people think they are buying a great bike. unlike me who knew the bike i was buying wasnt that good and knew cycling would be hard on it. i decided that if i liked it only a little bit i would carry on and buy a new bike.
That was my rationale when getting my Vikin road bike.

apollo179

Apollo has pretty much invoked Goodwins Law. This is the time to walk away from this thread.

Ha Ha.
I was just trying to convey the message that for the furtherance of a decent society we all have a responsibility to speak up in the furtherance of good.
Wasnt it edmoind burke that said all it takes for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing.
Anyway it seems im in a minority so im taking your advice and beating a hasty retreat.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Wearing trainers and then running for a bus is different than actively lifting your leg over a bike and pedalling down the road to the pub.
Is someone that only drives to the supermarket not a motorist?
Why. I actively choose to move my legs at a speed an gait inconcistant with walking.
Many motoring forums will answer your question as no they are not drivers. I have no opinion on that subject.

Top Bottom