BT Broadband, Experiences, Views And Opinions

• Thread starter Deleted member 1258
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

I had a letter from BT yesterday, a fishing trip, fishing for business, but the offer sounds good and would save me a fair bit of cash compared to my present o2 set up, I've been with o2 for a while now and its been mostly good, the broadband has been very good but when I have needed their customer services its not been so good. I've looked at BT on the internet and its been a mixed bag, I'm using Lubuntu with Firefox for the internet. So what do you people know about BT?

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I had a letter from BT yesterday, a fishing trip, fishing for business, but the offer sounds good and would save me a fair bit of cash compared to my present o2 set up, I've been with o2 for a while now and its been mostly good, the broadband has been very good but when I have needed their customer services its not been so good. I've looked at BT on the internet and its been a mixed bag, I'm using Lubuntu with Firefox for the internet. So what do you people know about BT?

Well if you think o2 customer service is bad dont go anywhere near BT customer service.

I was with o2 a while ago and was very happy with the service but wanted fibre BB for the speed, I am now with PlusNet and have 56 mb BB and very happy with them. They were also much cheaper than BT which is odd considering they are part owned by BT, also tech support is very good and located in this country.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 1258

Well if you think o2 customer service is bad dont go anywhere near BT customer service.

I was with o2 a while ago and was very happy with the service but wanted fibre BB for the speed, I am now with PlusNet and have 56 mb BB and very happy with them. They were also much cheaper than BT which is odd considering they are part owned by BT, also tech support is very good and located in this country.

I've heard some bad things about their customer services, how was the broadband itself?

Goldcoast

We went with bt infinity and it's been rock solid. The bt hub 3 apparently doesn't have masses of advanced setup options but apart from setting up time access for the kids devices that's pretty much all I do.

Darcy

POB
I've been with BT since the Internet began, I have recently upgraded to Infinity. I have never had cause to contact customer services as it just works. I have never had a problem with my broadband connection or telephone line.

We went with BT in our new property because there was no existing telephone line and being an IT engineer and knowing where I was moving to I could see 'problems' ahead. The package I secured with BT included free installation of telephone line & broadband and eventually resulted in a lot of new wiring and a new card in our local exchange.... long story short, the broadband here is right on the edge of being able to provide 8Mb and drops in and out a lot but always reconnects - we get around 6Mb which is fine given we are rural and twice what we used to have in our last place. But I am exceptionally glad I secured free installation because it took months to sort out and a lot of work from BT.

BT customer service can be interesting. You have to know how to handle them and if you are an IT Engineer and know what the problem is, you can deal with it. If you are an 'typical' end user and know nothing about computers, I pity you. I am always called in to deal with BT for my family who are with BT.

If I was to change to anyone else, I would happily return to Plusnet. I used to have Waitrose broadband before it was taken over/sold out to Plusnet and the customer support for both was fantastic (including a free static IP address which I needed for work purposes) and all of their support is in the UK - last time I checked. For me it was great, I would simply tell them who I was and they already knew I was an IT Engineer from previous calls and we talked at a technical level as needed. Why didn't I go back to them? well it was simply the cost of a brand new installation in a property with no previous telephone line, plus my OH wanting the BT TV package and a £50 Sainsbury's gift card that one the day.

Broadside

Guru
We recently switched from Sky broadband and TV to BT. We went for BT Infinity and the Youview service. The entire signing up and installation was super slick, equipment delivered when they said it would, engineer turned up at the exact appointment time and all the background stuff in the exchange and BT systems went exactly as planned. The BT service is also fantastic, 30Mb download 10Mb upload and low latency.

I have worked with BT Openreach in a professional capacity and was therefore very wary of how the switchover to BT would go but they amazed me with how efficient they can be, I am very glad to have switched and regret not doing it sooner. I have also slashed my monthly bill in half compared to Sky and we were only on the Sky low end package (no movies or sport).

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
I'm a BT broadband and BT Vision customer and have been for years, never used anyone else. Happy with the service and product. There's probably cheaper options from other companies but BT customer services (in my experience) has been pretty good so I see no real reason to change. When I move into my new flat I will probably upgrade to infinity/youview.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Steer well clear, they will rip you off.

Herr-B

I'm with them for phone, broadband and TV. Initially they were crap, setup issues and router trouble for months, then we added the TV and got the v2 home hub which has proved almost faultless for the last couple of years.

Rural location and no fibre means around 6-700 kbps but that's been fine for TV downloads/streaming and online gaming.

Having used a few other providers in the past I'd say they're all much of a muchness (apart from talk talk - why are my parents still with them?).

Top Bottom