BT Broadband, Experiences, Views And Opinions

• Thread starter Deleted member 1258
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
That's a good deal!

No, according to this, our exchange only has TalkTalk and Sky racks as well as BT.

Put you number into the can I get plusnet BB thingy on their website and see.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 1258

Plusnet isn't showing the fibre option yet but it is supposed to be another month before FTTC arrives here so I'll check back later in the summer, by which time my TalkTalk contract should be nearly up. :thumbsup:

Whats you experience with TalkTalk been like Colin?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Whats you experience with TalkTalk been like Colin?
It has actually been okay.

They didn't send me a wireless router when I signed up but I wasn't using a wireless connection at the time so it didn't bother me. After I got ill, I could no longer sit at a desk so I started using a wireless laptop and Android tablet and needed a new router. I got in touch with them and they sent me one free of charge.

I had one connection problem which I narrowed down to either their network or the line connection. They said the network was okay and booked BT Openreach to check my connection. The engineer took one look at my ancient wall socket and fitted a new one. That was free too. Apparently if anybody in the UK has not got a new wall socket, BT will fit one free so get in touch and book a visit if you need one. The new socket fixed my problem.

The signal has been pretty reliable. I generally get 12-14 Mb/s and spend about £32/month on BB, line rental and a few calls. It does sound like Plusnet would be a superior choice though when my TT contract expires.

For me it has always been the Router, and the cons with that.

At the moment I have a network...

Use Apple's Apple TV you need to reset the router
Use either of my two printers - reset the router
Try using the storage disc - reset the router
Connect the Ipads or Kindle - reset the router

BT replaced with a HomeHub 2 that had the same problem, and was then told I am not entitled to a HomeHub 3 as I had only renewed my contract and was not a new customer!

Even when I pointed out that I was paying more than a new customer they were adamant that if I wanted an upgrade I would have to pay.

Eventually got an engineer visit who said the new HH2 was also faulty (and notorious for this) and gave me a new HH3 which worked for two weeks. I am now back to having to reset the router if I want to connect anything on the network

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 1258

It has actually been okay.

They didn't send me a wireless router when I signed up but I wasn't using a wireless connection at the time so it didn't bother me. After I got ill, I could no longer sit at a desk so I started using a wireless laptop and Android tablet and needed a new router. I got in touch with them and they sent me one free of charge.

I had one connection problem which I narrowed down to either their network or the line connection. They said the network was okay and booked BT Openreach to check my connection. The engineer took one look at my ancient wall socket and fitted a new one. That was free too. Apparently if anybody in the UK has not got a new wall socket, BT will fit one free so get in touch and book a visit if you need one. The new socket fixed my problem.

The signal has been pretty reliable. I generally get 12-14 Mb/s and spend about £32/month on BB, line rental and a few calls. It does sound like Plusnet would be a superior choice though when my TT contract expires.

Cheers for that Colin, since starting this thread I've been looking at other broadband providers that people have mentioned, Plusnet would work out about the same as I'm paying now once the offer period is over, TalkTalk could work out slightly cheaper than I'm paying now even after the offer period is over, BT is the cheapest one so far but I'm well aware the cheapest is not always the best, if I get no reply or an inadequate reply to the E-Mail I sent to BT I'll be looking seriously at Talktalk.

Doseone

Guru
(such as idnet who i have worked for since way before adsl existed)

I'm with IDNet and have found them excellent. When my exchange enabled ADSL2 I tried going via BT to get my line speed increased, and that experience put me off using BT for life. They were clueless, India was no help and everyone I was put through to just wanted to pass the buck.

One phonecall to IDNet support and it was leave it to us, we'll sort it out, and they did. Honestly, the customer service was excellent. The only thing I would say is that they are not cheap, and as the kids get older I can see the download limits being a problem, but you get what you pay for.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 1258

A quick update, at the moment I'm waiting for a mac code from o2, my present provider, when I get it I'm moving to plusnet and a broadband only deal. Looking at the broadband caused us to look at the landline phone, it was costing us £24 a month and was hardly being used, when BT phoned me in response to my E-Mail I told them I was no longer interested in the broadband and phone offer then had her change our phone package to phone line only, this will drop our monthly bill to £15.

Dan B

Disengaged member
As there is bt wholesale kit in the exchange you can get Plusnet (who are owned by bt wholesale) and any other provider that uses bt wholesale kit. Sam Knows only shows the wholesalers at an exchange it doesn't show all the ISPs that are available.
Plusnet isn't showing the fibre option yet but it is supposed to be another month before FTTC arrives here so I'll check back later in the summer, by which time my TalkTalk contract should be nearly up. :thumbsup:
We're currently going through the "fttc from another isp[*] using bt wholesale kit" process. One thing to be aware of (in the case of recently activated lines and possibly also at other times) is that the public database of which phone numbers can get what services apparently lags the internal BT database with which it is supposed to be identical. So, we had our landline activated on Tuesday, it showed up as OK for FTTC on the BT site yesterday, but would not show as available using the checker tool on any other ISP until this morning

[*] goscomb.co.uk, of whom you've probably never heard, but they're small and clueful and Mrs B works for them.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 1258

I have just signed up to Plusnet, I've taken their unlimited broadband package, the full price is £10 a month but I will get the first 12 months at half price, our o2 broadband was £15 a month, theres a charge for joining but I went through Quidco and the cashback from Quidco will offset the charge, now I will wait and see how it pans out.

http://www.quidco.com/

mchunt

We're currently going through the "fttc from another isp[*] using bt wholesale kit" process. One thing to be aware of (in the case of recently activated lines and possibly also at other times) is that the public database of which phone numbers can get what services apparently lags the internal BT database with which it is supposed to be identical. So, we had our landline activated on Tuesday, it showed up as OK for FTTC on the BT site yesterday, but would not show as available using the checker tool on any other ISP until this morning

[*] goscomb.co.uk, of whom you've probably never heard, but they're small and clueful and Mrs B works for them.

There are 2 databases provided by BT Wholesale one based on phone number and one on address. the telephone number database gives accurate reliable information and is what most isp's use on their websites (as ofcom insist accurate speed information is given to end users at point of sale) but the telephone database is only updated a day after a line goes live. The address database is fairly accurate but cannot be guaranteed, BT could offer you a service based on the address search and later have to say sorry due to a technical issue you can't have the service. I know at work we will provide FTTC and a phone line as a simultaneous order over the phone or via an email enquiry but will make it perfectly clear we can't totally guarantee that the order will go through or speed you may get - the address database even works for properties without phone lines.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 1258

Plusnet have given me next Saturday, 15th, at midnight as a go live date.

Nebulous

Guru
dave, bit too late now - but out of interest as an O2 subscriber didn't you get the sky offer? Or did you decide not to go with sky?

It seems almost too good to be true but I think I'm going to sign up for it.

StuartG

slower but further
This is what i get all the time. Can be at peak times and i still get it. Boody fantastic service and excellent customer service too. I've not yet managed to reach 100GB per month yet. I dont however stream video very often.

2746126687.png

137011477886993930347.png
Yes if its fast reliable broadband with sensible people who know what they are talking about then Zen is pretty well No 1. Reassuringly not too expensive but with no filtering and no traffic shaping its never going to compete with the bargain basement offers if that's what you want. Been with Zen nearly a decade and apart from a couple of BT infrastructure failures - rock solid whilst all about me flounder. Before that I was on BT Broadband. Oh, what a difference!

Now on fibre at 50/15 Mbps day and night. And no worries about my ISP selling my data to the US ;-)

Top Bottom