BT Broadband, Experiences, Views And Opinions

• Thread starter Deleted member 1258
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
We are supposed to be getting FTTC here soon. Although I've been getting about 13 Mb/s most days, I'd certainly like to get nearer the kind of speeds that some of you are getting. Mind you, I'm not sure how the change will affect me because I am only about 500 metres from the exchange anyway. I don't know how much copper cable my signal actually passes through to get here.

Whiskey88

I had a letter from BT yesterday, a fishing trip, fishing for business, but the offer sounds good and would save me a fair bit of cash compared to my present o2 set up, I've been with o2 for a while now and its been mostly good, the broadband has been very good but when I have needed their customer services its not been so good. I've looked at BT on the internet and its been a mixed bag, I'm using Lubuntu with Firefox for the internet. So what do you people know about BT?

Don't do it. We're currently on BT, the broadband and TV services regularly drop out with no reason or warning. They're very slow in our area, only reaching speeds of 3mbps and customer services? Don't be daft, they take forever to respond to an issue. Just don't!

D

Deleted member 20519

We are supposed to be getting FTTC here soon. Although I've been getting about 13 Mb/s most days, I'd certainly like to get nearer the kind of speeds that some of you are getting. Mind you, I'm not sure how the change will affect me because I am only about 500 metres from the exchange anyway. I don't know how much copper cable my signal actually passes through to get here.

I'm 650m from the exchange, Speedtest.net shows that I'm getting 18mbps (on a good day) but when I'm actually downloading something, it goes at anything from 100kbps-1mbps.

ColinJ

I'm 650m from the exchange, Speedtest.net shows that I'm getting 18mbps (on a good day) but when I'm actually downloading something, it goes at anything from 100kbps-1mbps.
Are you sure the download speeds are not in kB/s or MB/s (bytes not bits)?

I just downloaded a large test file from thinkbroadband.com and achieved 520 kB/s. (Slower than it should be, but much faster than the figures you quoted.)

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 1258

Does anyone know if the BTsports on BT is included in the usage allowance of option1 which is 10gb per month.
Cant see much uptake if it is. I have an offer atm for bb plus evening/weekend for £5.25pm.

You've got the same offer I've got. I'm still waiting for them to reply to my E-Mail.

D

Deleted member 20519

Are you sure the download speeds are not in kB/s or MB/s (bytes not bits)?

I just downloaded a large test file from thinkbroadband.com and achieved 520 kB/s. (Slower than it should be, but much faster than the figures you quoted.)

At times like this, I tend to get a good speed and what BT have told me. At peak times (Friday night, Saturday night, etc) it sometimes drops to really low speeds and pages take a while to load.

137010834223099115176.png

2745945076.png

The 512mb test file downloaded in 4 minutes and 10 seconds, I'll try it again later on tonight and see what speed I get - going to get my downloading done now since it seems to be going fast :biggrin:

ColinJ

So is HB getting fibre colin.

Currently getting 52.81mb Down and 15.4mb Up, Can't wait till we get full fibre:hyper:
Apparently, the RFS (Ready For Service) date is 30th June! Hmm - it is roughly double the price that I am paying now ... (About £50 a month rather than £25.)

I need the upload speed more than the download speed and I'd like shorter 'ping times'. I'm only getting about 0.55 Mb/s upload and pings are normally about 45 ms.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Apparently, the RFS (Ready For Service) date is 30th June! Hmm - it is roughly double the price that I am paying now ... (About £50 a month rather than £25.)

I need the upload speed more than the download speed and I'd like shorter 'ping times'. I'm only getting about 0.55 Mb/s upload and pings are normally about 45 ms.

Is that price for the phone as well or just BB ?

ColinJ

Oh ok I was going to say, mine is about £40 inc all calls at anytime of day.
That's pretty good! Is that including VAT, and who is it with? I would probably make a few more calls if they were free. At the moment I let my friends and sisters call me, or I ring their numbers and let them ring me back because they have free call packages.

I think I can only get superfast BT, Sky or TalkTalk BB from my exchange and I am tied in to TT for a few months yet. (I can't remember when I signed up with them, but it was for 24 months. I have been ill for nearly a year and it was before I got ill. I could soon find out by checking my bank statements.)

I'll probably leave it 6 months or so anyway, and perhaps prices will start to come down by then.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
That's pretty good! Is that including VAT, and who is it with? I would probably make a few more calls if they were free. At the moment I let my friends and sisters call me, or I ring their numbers and let them ring me back because they have free call packages.

I think I can only get superfast BT, Sky or TalkTalk BB from my exchange and I am tied in to TT for a few months yet. (I can't remember when I signed up with them, but it was for 24 months. I have been ill for nearly a year and it was before I got ill. I could soon find out by checking my bank statements.)

I'll probably leave it 6 months or so anyway, and perhaps prices will start to come down by then.

I am with Plusnet, yes that includes VAT and you get a discount if you get other people to sign up so I have got it down to just over £37 at the moment for Unlimited Fibre with all uk non mobile phone calls which is nice considering I work from home and make hundreds of phone calls a month.

I use my mobile for any mobile outgoing call as that is on the T-Mobile Full Monty package.

I guess that is the problem with where you are not all the providers will have equipment in the exchange.

When I swapped last year the same deal I went for on Plusnet was £23 per month more expensive on BT.

ColinJ

I am with Plusnet, yes that includes VAT and you get a discount if you get other people to sign up so I have got it down to just over £37 at the moment for Unlimited Fibre with all uk non mobile phone calls which is nice considering I work from home and make hundreds of phone calls a month.

I use my mobile for any mobile outgoing call as that is on the T-Mobile Full Monty package.

I guess that is the problem with where you are not all the providers will have equipment in the exchange.

When I swapped last year the same deal I went for on Plusnet was £23 per month more expensive on BT.
That's a good deal!

No, according to this, our exchange only has TalkTalk and Sky racks as well as BT.

At times like this, I tend to get a good speed and what BT have told me. At peak times (Friday night, Saturday night, etc) it sometimes drops to really low speeds and pages take a while to load.

137010834223099115176.png

2745945076.png

The 512mb test file downloaded in 4 minutes and 10 seconds, I'll try it again later on tonight and see what speed I get - going to get my downloading done now since it seems to be going fast :biggrin:

This is what i get all the time. Can be at peak times and i still get it. Boody fantastic service and excellent customer service too. I've not yet managed to reach 100GB per month yet. I dont however stream video very often.

2746126687.png

137011477886993930347.png

Top Bottom