BT Broadband, Experiences, Views And Opinions

• Thread starter Deleted member 1258
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 1258

Thanks for your input people, its given me some food for thought, it seems that the package is good but if it goes tits up the customer service can be iffy, this thread has got me looking at Plusnet as well and they seem to do a bit better at the customer services, I'm going to have to have a think about this.

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
Its the BTWIFI that keeps me with them so I can use the internet in work. Plus there's now free sports soon think I'll hang around with them for a bit longer. Infinity with three kids is a god send

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I have BT both at home and work and it's very rare to have a problem and when we do it's resolved very, very quickly. My office is very rural but we receive good speeds and a very reliable service. For phones and broadband BT have been excellent at work but I would never give them more.

My one business experience with BT was very poor; several years ago, perhaps 5-6, I was persuaded to switch our ISP, email services, domain etc. to BT. It was a total disaster and left us with zero communications - after 72 hours I had to go back to our previous ISP and ask them to solve the issues, which they did in a matter of hours. We are only a tiny company and our account is worth perhaps £100pa to the ISP. I love those people.

At home we have BT phone, broadband, Vision and soon will get free sport. I probably pay more than necessary but it works ALL the time. Like the poster above I do get irritated by the special offers to new customers but it's the same everywhere from banks to gyms to car insurance.

Customer service is in my experience very good. About three years ago we began to suffer problems with BT Vision. As the product improved and required more speed our received service declined. I called BT, explained the issue and that I needed them to install new equipment, initially I was to be charged but when I pointed out the main incoming socket was stamped GPO BT agreed to send an engineer who replaced all the sockets in the house free.

BT Vision has just had a major software upgrade which has bugs and is taking a little time to get used to. We watch the various iPlayers via TV, laptop, nexus 7 or iPhone as takes our fancy. Following the new upgrade we suffer so much buffering with BBC iPlayer it is unusable on the television - everything else is fine. Our TV is 1000p but the best resolution we now achieve is 720p.

I called BT at 9.00pm Bank Holiday Monday. The "Indian Call Centre" slightly derided above immediately agreed the 1000 / 720p issue is a BT problem and they are working to fix it ASAP - BT admitted the problem which is a big plus for me. The lady attempted to solve our BBC iPlayer issues but could not and offered to escalate this to level two, saying we would have a call back in 24 hours.

The call back duly came inside 24 hours, the technician immediately agreed our view that as we had made no changes and all other equipment still worked the issue had to be with the BT software and probably it's suitability for our BT Vision box. In the same conversation the BT technician organised a new box, FOC, and insisted an engineer be sent, again FOC, to check our incoming sockets, connections etc. All this was offered, no arguing from me.

As a Total Broadband customer I can use BT WiFi virtually anywhere which is great. I travel a lot for work and get sick to the back teeth of all the "free" wifi offers in places which require to spend minutes signing up to a service which is going to spam me when all I want is to check and email or surf for a few minutes over coffee!

If that's not outstanding customer service I don't know what is.

I had a few bad experiences with BT in the distant past so I am not one to sing their praises but the Broadband is very good for reliability and the Indian call centres are very helpful.

The only real bother I had turned out to be a problem at the exchange which would have affected any other ISP.

Also they are bringing out their TV Sports package which is free to broadband customers!

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 1258

I had a few bad experiences with BT in the distant past so I am not one to sing their praises but the Broadband is very good for reliability and the Indian call centres are very helpful.

The only real bother I had turned out to be a problem at the exchange which would have affected any other ISP.

Also they are bringing out their TV Sports package which is free to broadband customers!

yes the sports package is part of the offer, I've E-Mailed them asking some questions so we'll see how we get on.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I am with Sky, just for internet and phone. It probably isn't the cheapest, like Talktalk (supposed to be shite) but I think it is very good service and price for a truly unlimited service. I believe that BT is not truly unlimited as they use traffic shaping for people that use P2P networks. I guess it depends what you want from them, but they are not for me.

mchunt

I'm with b****** telecom,
very intermittent, 'unlimited' download is 'limited', sadly only other option is sky which round my neck of the woods is not much better.

If you can get adsl from bt retail then there are hundreds of other providers you can go with (such as idnet who i have worked for since way before adsl existed) they may share the same bt wholesale and open reach equipment but the backhaul, traffic policies and end connections to the Internet are all very different.

For the big guys to offer unlimited adsl at a low price they need to either subsidise it with overpriced tv packages or phone charges, traffic manage or hope nobody complains (i.e. can be bothered to call an indian call centre) when everything slows down as they have run out of capacity.

Does anyone know if the BTsports on BT is included in the usage allowance of option1 which is 10gb per month.
Cant see much uptake if it is. I have an offer atm for bb plus evening/weekend for £5.25pm.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Does anyone know if the BTsports on BT is included in the usage allowance of option1 which is 10gb per month.
Cant see much uptake if it is. I have an offer atm for bb plus evening/weekend for £5.25pm.
I was looking at a different package with a 40 GB limit and they specifically stated that the sports streaming was not counted as part of that limit.

I am with TalkTalk, not BT, but to illustrate how much bandwidth streaming TV can gobble up - I used about 60 GB watching the recent Giro d'Italia coverage!

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I was looking at a different package with a 40 GB limit and they specifically stated that the sports streaming was not counted as part of that limit.

I am with TalkTalk, not BT, but to illustrate how much bandwidth streaming TV can gobble up - I used about 60 GB watching the recent Giro d'Italia coverage!

I am currently using about 250gb per month watching TV and surfing.

D

Deleted member 20519

My experience with BT Broadband -

We switched over from Virgin Media to BT. After signing up, it took a week for an engineer to come out and install the phone line. After that it took a few days for BT to 'activate it' and then another few days for our hub to arrive in the mail. After we had set everything up, it wasn't working. We called BT up several times and we were being led round in circles until finally someone gave us a date of when our internet would be up and running. They had given us a date which was four weeks since we had signed up for BT.

A month after paying and still no internet, we called them up again - they said there was problems in the area and that an engineer had been booked, they told us the exact same thing week after week until they finally agreed to send an engineer out to our house. The engineer told us that there was problems with our line and that he would have a look at it, fine. We then get a call from BT telling us that it should be working now, they were wrong.

It has now been 6 weeks since we had signed up for BT. We got another engineer round who concluded that it was in fact a problem with our hub so he replaced it. Finally after over a month and a half, we have broadband. We are supposed to be getting "8-18mbps even during peak hours" when in fact, most of the time, we're getting four or five and it even drops down to 2 during peak times.

All in all, we're not happy with them and we plan to switch back to Virgin Media soon since they were offering us 30mbps. BT's customer service was horrible and it seems like they were just stringing us along and telling us that "the problem would be fixed soon" over and over. I've also found that they throttle our broadband at peak times and when downloading large files, we get a maximum of 100kbps-200kbps.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I am currently using about 250gb per month watching TV and surfing.
I probably get through another 20 GB or so a month on this laptop which I don't monitor. I have a nominally unlimited account but it has a fair usage policy, which means that it is limited. (OFCOM should be shot for allowing ISPs to get away with that!) I am actually allowed 100 GB a month but at the moment the limit is not being enforced. It is there as a guideline in case people start taking the mickey, and it could be enforced any time if they chose to do that.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I've been using BT since dial-up and generally their connection has always been good, I've rarely known anyone with a faster home connection, currently on fibre at 320mbit which is plenty silly. There's no usage cap on the big fibre packages, we have several computers, smartphones, games consoles etc and watch TV online daily, also downloading vast amounts (mostly US TV shows) like hundreds of gb at a time. P2P sharing is restricted at peak times, but I don't mind as it seems to keep things fast for tv on demand and gaming.

The customer service is alright for people having basic problems with setting up their email or forgetting a password, but with technical problems you feel very much 'in the system' being bounced around and can take a while to get things sorted. They have problems where departments and systems don't interact so you learn not to make any special requests or package changes if you can help it, the support guys don't log problems, callbacks never happen, but the rest of the time its really great.

Top Bottom