B'twin Tilt 940 - there are none, now going for a Brompton. I am far too excited about it.

Discussion in 'Folding Bikes' started by Pro Tour Punditry, 22 Jan 2018.

1. MossCommuter likes this.
  2. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Legendary Member

Summat about rider weight.

Drago likes this.
  3. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Legendary Member

But seriously, I would.

Pro Tour Punditry likes this.
  4. Crackle

Crackle Pah

14 Kg. Pretty heavy for a folder, what does an equivalent Brommie weigh?

5. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Like that. Especially the easy way it rolls when folded. At that price not much to dislike.
    You thinking of getting one @Marmion ?

6. OP
    OP
    Pro Tour Punditry

Pro Tour Punditry Guru

Possibly, I have a number of meetings I need to get to that are a few miles apart or a short cycle from stations, so looking at the options - this one is looking a possible winner

Fab Foodie likes this.
  7. smutchin

smutchin Cat 6 Racer

Not an awful lot less, actually. ISTR my old M3L was over 12kg. I had use of a 'Superlight' S2L recently and even that weighed over 10kg, including mudguards and fitted lights (10.24kg to be exact). You could knock a bit off that if you went singlespeed, but not much.

Lightest folder I've ever ridden is the Hummingbird (7.3kg), but that costs nearly nine times as much as the Btwin.

Weight is only really an issue if you have to carry it up a long flight of stairs, but you also have to consider the size and shape when folded, which makes a big difference to how comfortable and easy it is to carry. If you don't need to carry it much, it might not matter at all.

8. OP
    OP
    Pro Tour Punditry

Pro Tour Punditry Guru

I wasn't able to find a Brompton with nexus, belt drive, dynamo, but did find a Birdy which came in not much lighter

9. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

The use of a belt rather than a chain means there won't be excess lube dribbling onto the drive side of the hub and helping to keep water out so the hub internals will die sooner if not actively maintained.

You may only get 15 years out of the hub instead of 25 ;)

Fab Foodie and Pro Tour Punditry like this.
  10. Crackle

Crackle Pah

It seems a bargain then if the folding suits you. Are you sure you remember which way around to sit on a bike?

11. Mort

Mort Interstellar Overalls

I saw a decent YouTube review of this and I can't for the life of me find it again, but the conclusion was everything about the bike is good apart from it being a bit heavy, and the brakes weren't much cop (a familiar complaint on Btwin bikes, though). If I find it I'll post it.

12. Drago

Drago Guru

Being rather weighty myself the mass of the bike is very, very low down my list of worries. Max payload would be of much more interest.

That aside, looks OK for the money. Could be just what @Marmion needs for short local trips as he describes.

13. simon.r

simon.r Person

What’s the maximum saddle height? It doesn’t look as if it’s very high and no mention of a telescopic post.

14. OP
    OP
    Pro Tour Punditry

Pro Tour Punditry Guru

The blurb says up to 2 meres height but that might be lazy writing of the specs

15. OP
    OP
    Pro Tour Punditry

Pro Tour Punditry Guru

Given that nobody seems to have identified anything glaringly important I think I'll pop into Decathlon en route home later this week and have a look and a try out :okay:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice