B'twin Tilt 940 - there are none, now going for a Brompton. I am far too excited about it.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It might be worth £400, and if you're only doing short rides here and there, might be OK, although, for that kind of riding, are 7 gears really necessary?
Depends on the terrain, plus many in the UK still decry 3-speeds because they couldn't set their Raleigh Chopper or Shopper's indexing correctly (despite it being easier than derailleur indexing) and blamed the bike.

OP
OP
Pro Tour Punditry
The terrain would include hilly bits, it seems that historic Jocks liked building settlements on hills

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
The cost of the components you name, without the frame and fold, would be nearly £400. Somewhere, someone has cut some serious corners. Brakes made of cheese? Cheapest possible tyres? A folding mechanism that won't stay shut?

I think the main compromise is the fold, it doesn't go particularly small. The rest you'd have to assess on viewing the bike.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
The cost of the components you name, without the frame and fold, would be nearly £400. Somewhere, someone has cut some serious corners. Brakes made of cheese? Cheapest possible tyres? A folding mechanism that won't stay shut?
I seem to remember a few people being rather ''that much for so little!'' when their Tribans came onto the market. True, the standard tyres were rubbish and the brakes not much better but they were still exceptional value for money.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The cost of the components you name, without the frame and fold, would be nearly £400.
How are you working that out? Retail of the components named in the OP ("Nexus hub, dyno-lights, carbon belt and mudguards"), it'd be about £80 for a Nexus 7, £25 for a low-end dynamo hub (not explicitly mentioned but rather implied), £20 for lights (assuming a minimal 10 lux headlight), £70 for a carbon belt (I'm guessing about exactly which belt) and maybe £15 for mudguards, total £210 and I suspect they've got a stonking volume discount off Shimano for the hubs. The tyres and brakes look low-end but those are relatively easy upgrades if needed and surely someone would stop such a big retailer if it didn't meet the basic safety regs?

chriscross1966

Über Member
14 Kg. Pretty heavy for a folder, what does an equivalent Brommie weigh?

A standard Steelie M6L with dynamo is around 12Kg, but costs 1170... It does fold a lot smaller though... WE have a Tilt get on one of the buses that I regularly catch and it doesnt fit in a lot of places where we can put Bromptons.... That said, having had a chat with the guy he seems to be pretty happy, only thing he's changed are the brake blocks (looked like he had KoolStops in there, I forgot to ask), and he considered it to be a bargain when it was 600 in all ways except the fold... His plan was to use it for two years and save up for a Brompton, by bike and bus commuting he is saving a small fortune over driving, and there is a branch of decathalon basically next door to the bus stop he's using at one end.... He did have one of the other Decathalon folders before and decided he'd rather have the piece of mind of the warranty vs unknown wear-and-tear replacement costs from buying a secondhand Brompton..... and TBF, I can see his point.... I'm happy enough to dive in with the spanners but a lot of folks aren't.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
"Lifetime warranty on the frame, stem, rigid fork, handlebar and seat post 2-year warranty on parts" Assuming the lifetime warranty includes the folding mechanism, which judging by the having all the information listed under 'frame' in the details means it should be, then I would feel more confident. Brakes and tyres are easy to improve.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Just noticed - looks like only Edinburgh has one is stock - so you may need to order online and use their returns policy if it does not suit.

Top Bottom