B'Twin Triban 3 - Any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colin w

Regular
Hi,
I have just got my Triban and must say it is even better in the flesh than on the Decathlon website. I am very impressed with the finish and very pleased that it really was an out of the box and ride cycle. The box it came in was huge, because the bike is fully constructed with only the handlebars to turn round and tighten.....using the not too bad little multi tool supplied! Brakes and gears were perfect from the off and I took mine for a 22 mph spin averaging 15.5 mph ....which isn't too bad for for a fat wheezy middle aged bloke! I am 5ft 11 with a 29-30cm inside leg and went for the 54cm (wasn't sure whether to go for 57cm....but it was out of stock, and 54 is spot on for me.
Considering the aluminium frame and 23c tyres running at 100 psi the ride is not too harsh and the carbon fork definitely soaks up some of the lumps and bumps.
If you want an all out racer, you won't get one brand new for £300 (£315 delivered) you will struggle to find one 2nd hand on eBay too! If you want a reasonably light, reasonably specced, pleasant bicycle with scope for upgrading this is ideal.
So far all I have replaced is the pedals - because I like SPD's. The saddle may be next - although with my padded pants on it was reasonably comfortable over 22miles. There are mudguard eyes provided - but the clearance on the front fork would severely limit what you could fit.
For the money I agree with the Cycling Active review and think this is unbeatable value for money!

colin w

Regular
Hi,
I have just got my Triban and must say it is even better in the flesh than on the Decathlon website. I am very impressed with the finish and very pleased that it really was an out of the box and ride cycle. The box it came in was huge, because the bike is fully constructed with only the handlebars to turn round and tighten.....using the not too bad little multi tool supplied! Brakes and gears were perfect from the off and I took mine for a 22 mph spin averaging 15.5 mph ....which isn't too bad for for a fat wheezy middle aged bloke! I am 5ft 11 with a 29-30cm inside leg and went for the 54cm (wasn't sure whether to go for 57cm....but it was out of stock, and 54 is spot on for me.
Considering the aluminium frame and 23c tyres running at 100 psi the ride is not too harsh and the carbon fork definitely soaks up some of the lumps and bumps.
If you want an all out racer, you won't get one brand new for £300 (£315 delivered) you will struggle to find one 2nd hand on eBay too! If you want a reasonably light, reasonably specced, pleasant bicycle with scope for upgrading this is ideal.
So far all I have replaced is the pedals - because I like SPD's. The saddle may be next - although with my padded pants on it was reasonably comfortable over 22miles. There are mudguard eyes provided - but the clearance on the front fork would severely limit what you could fit.
For the money I agree with the Cycling Active review and think this is unbeatable value for money!

colin w

Regular
Hi,

colin w

Regular
Hi,
Hi thankyou very much for more information on this bike its very much appreciated I will be looking for one on there website as I dident know I could order one online I only thought they could be bought direct from there local stores thanks again...colin

colin w

Regular
Hi,
Hi thankyou very much for more information on this bike its very much appreciated I will be looking for one on there website as I dident know I could order one online I only thought they could be bought direct from there local stores thanks again...colin

defy-one

I bought mine a month ago .... Can't get my hands on it as my 6ft 16 year old son takes it for a spin EVERY DAY!!!!!
Great bike for the price. Change the pedals and saddle : job done
Tyres are cheap : change them at first sign of trouble.
My other bike costs 3 times more and yes it's a sweeter ride,but thr Triban is still very very good for a first road bike

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.

Hi Colin, yes if you just type in Decathlon, you will see the Triban appear as a best seller. Click on the link and it will give you the choice of buying on line. You actually have to put in your post code and the bike will be supplied from your nearest store.
When you order on line, they send you a confirmation of your order immediately - but don't charge your card until you get a confirmation that they can supply the bike. First time I ordered I had not heard from them by the following day despite their email saying I would - so I tried to phone them - but couldn't get through.. The following day I managed to get through and was told my bicycle would be with me within a few days, and then got an email the next day saying they could not complete my order as out of stock... I wasn't impressed so sent them an email to complain and got a rather bland sorry reply - but by this time I was set on getting this bicycle so I persisted and re ordered and this time the order was confirmed and my bicycle came 3 days later....although my email confirmation gave me a tracking number and a link to the PDP website although the bike was sent by Parcelforce! So Decathlon customer service is (in my experience based on this purchase) not very good - but the bicycle when it arrived, was even better than I expected (even having read the Cycling Active review) and had been assembled skilfully and fully. So I would encourage anyone who is considering buying a Triban to stop considering and get one!

colin w

Regular
Hi Colin, yes if you just type in Decathlon, you will see the Triban appear as a best seller. Click on the link and it will give you the choice of buying on line. You actually have to put in your post code and the bike will be supplied from your nearest store.
When you order on line, they send you a confirmation of your order immediately - but don't charge your card until you get a confirmation that they can supply the bike. First time I ordered I had not heard from them by the following day despite their email saying I would - so I tried to phone them - but couldn't get through.. The following day I managed to get through and was told my bicycle would be with me within a few days, and then got an email the next day saying they could not complete my order as out of stock... I wasn't impressed so sent them an email to complain and got a rather bland sorry reply - but by this time I was set on getting this bicycle so I persisted and re ordered and this time the order was confirmed and my bicycle came 3 days later....although my email confirmation gave me a tracking number and a link to the PDP website although the bike was sent by Parcelforce! So Decathlon customer service is (in my experience based on this purchase) not very good - but the bicycle when it arrived, was even better than I expected (even having read the Cycling Active review) and had been assembled skilfully and fully. So I would encourage anyone who is considering buying a Triban to stop considering and get one!
Hi thanks again this helps even more will be ordering one for sure thanks...colin.

vickster

Legendary Member
Technical issue, Colin? :whistle:

colin w

Regular
sorry about the repeated answers lads i tried repling from mobile phone and somehow it kept on doing it i will delete the posts

Fubar

Guru
hi fubar im from around same area and thinking of getting the BTwin triban 3 do you still love this bike any reviews[ would like to know what its like on climbs] would be very appreciated mate.....colin fife.ps 5ft 4 and have hybrid but really like the look of this road bike and seen great review in august 2012 magazine cycling active[page58]

Hi Colin, yes I'm still in love with my T3, I also saw the excellent review in Cycling Active - I think that has persuaded a lot more people to order one! As I said I am 5'5" with 29 inch inside leg, the 54 frame is fine for me and all I've changes are the pedals, mainly 'cos I already had SPD shoes. I have read a lot of people on here who have bought one and instantly changed the wheels, saddle, pedals, brakes, etc but to my mind there is no need - to be fair the lights are crap so might as well remove them. Climbs are always hard for me no matter what bike I am on - that is more to do with my level of fitness rather than the bike! However on the downhills I find it easy to keep up with much faster/fitter mates. As I said it's hard to beat as an entry level road bike, I was looking for a while and couldn't believe the price when I found it, has everything I need. Let me know if you need any more info. Regards, Mark

Fubar

Guru
hi fubar im from around same area and thinking of getting the BTwin triban 3 do you still love this bike any reviews[ would like to know what its like on climbs] would be very appreciated mate.....colin fife.ps 5ft 4 and have hybrid but really like the look of this road bike and seen great review in august 2012 magazine cycling active[page58]

Hi again Colin, if you are in Fife you should check out the "CC Informal Rides" section of the forum - there is a Round the Forth ride going on 15 September - all welcome! Regards, Mark

Top Bottom