B'Twin Triban 3 - Any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
...and another...... 20120904_170239.jpg

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
....and yes I do need to give it a clean....but have been too busy riding it and loving every moment...

DaveFY7

Über Member
If anyone is in need of touch up paint for the Triban 3 (Red), I have used "Bright Red" "Nail Paint" by BarryM (paint code NP 262) bought from Superdrug at £2.99. The paint match is very good. I applied it with a very thin artist's paint brush and it worked a treat on some scratches on the top tube.

Got some funny looks from the lasses stood around the cosmetics displays though as it took a while to pick what I hoped would be the best match. :becool:

stephen.rooke

ha my triban a couple of months and ridden over 800 miles on it now. great bike, tyres are starting to wear a bit but havent had a single puncture, very fast bike and comfy to ride. next steps for me are to fit new tyres and brake pads, nothing else i want to change on it

DaveFY7

Über Member
I've bought some Continental Grand Prix 4000s for the Triban 3 and I am currently getting a wheelset handbuilt based on Shimano 105 hubs and Mavic Open Pro rims. The Conti's were £22.41 each from http://www.bike-discount.de and the hubs from Rose bikes. http://www.roseversand.com/ front hub £15.93, rear hub £27.09. It saves nearly 1kg on the wheels. Also changed the front brake pads for a set of Rose triple compound. A saddle is on it's way from Taiwan.

I've done 700 miles on it since early August and it makes a nice change from my touring bikes. Love it. :smile:

DaveFY7

Über Member
Almost forgot. I managed to get hold of some pepper spray from Rose bikes. Can't wait to use it on the next wolf look-a-like that chases me up the road. Should be good for a laugh. :boxing:

Typhon

I've bought some Continental Grand Prix 4000s for the Triban 3 and I am currently getting a wheelset handbuilt based on Shimano 105 hubs and Mavic Open Pro rims. The Conti's were £22.41 each from http://www.bike-discount.de and the hubs from Rose bikes. http://www.roseversand.com/ front hub £15.93, rear hub £27.09. It saves nearly 1kg on the wheels. Also changed the front brake pads for a set of Rose triple compound. A saddle is on it's way from Taiwan.

I've done 700 miles on it since early August and it makes a nice change from my touring bikes. Love it. :smile:

How much do the original wheels weigh on the Triban?

I've been thinking of changing mine ever since I bought it as I've heard that they are not great and are unnecessarily heavily. This has been brought into sharp focus by getting two punctures yesterday. :sad: So now I am looking at getting some Conintental Gatorskin tyres and thinking I might just upgrade the wheels while I'm at it.

Edwards80

Über Member
I can't remember the weights but it is very noticeable. I assumed it was the placebo "cheap bike must have ludicrously heavy wheels" but when I was switching them out with the aksiums I was amazed at how obvious it was when holding them :-)

I kept the old ones as spares though as there is nothing wrong with them as such.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
The Triban wheels are like rotating bricks!

My gf's runs 650c wheels as it is a small size and they are still bloody heavy! The finishing kit is also heavy.

My wheelset weighs ~1850g and that is pretty heavy, the Triban wheels must weigh more than 2kg!

We have 2 here. both of us have replaced the pedals and on both bikes I have found the rear wheels needed truing - I do this myself so no great deal. I've changed the stem and the brake blocks on mine and added cross levers to improve the braking ability. Oh and both bikes have gained pannier racks otherwise they seem OK for the price. Front derauiler needed some finer tuning on my bike (like moving completely up the seat stay so that there was sufficient clearance to get onto the larger ring), but was fine on my OH's bike.

I too find the stock saddle surprisingly comfortable, but mine will have to be changed soon because it has a slash in the side which I missed when buying it and only noticed it a few days ago.

Tyres will probably be the next thing to be replaced simply becuase of the mileage they are both doing.

defy-one

I took the Triban out for a 15 mile training loop with my neighbour. Still smile at how smooth it is. I'm (touch wood) having no issues with wheels tyres or hubs. The gears are getting a little sloppy,but that's down to some cable stretch, something i need to look at.
Now my neighbour has the halfords carrera tdf ..... Triban is way way better

DaveFY7

Über Member
The figures I have come up with are:

Tyres:
B'Twin 370g (£8.99) replace with continental gp4000s at 207g = weight saving 326g ordered from bike-discount.com

Wheels:
B'twin rear 1253g (£34.99) front 1020g (£24.99) replace with a wheelbuild of around 1800g = weight saving 473g

Total weight saving 799g not including skewers.

Typhon

The figures I have come up with are:

Tyres:
B'Twin 370g (£8.99) replace with continental gp4000s at 207g = weight saving 326g ordered from bike-discount.com

Wheels:
B'twin rear 1253g (£34.99) front 1020g (£24.99) replace with a wheelbuild of around 1800g = weight saving 473g

Total weight saving 799g not including skewers.

Thanks for posting those figures. I've been thinking of fitting some Shamano 501s (£116) which would save 373g. I was going to fit Conti gatorskins as I got two punctures the other day and hear they are very resilient. That would save another 50g.

I suppose the question is - is better to upgrade the existing bike or just put the money towards a carbon one in the future?

I suppose the question is - is better to upgrade the existing bike or just put the money towards a carbon one in the future?

I guess that all depends on how good your finances are, are you single or attatched and can argue it, and how long before you want to upgrade to a new/higher spec bike? Also what did you buy it for? first road bike, bike suitable to be locked up at work/college/school/home/generally outside, just because you could or because it was a cheap road bike?

From my point of view, extra weight just means that little extra training on a slightly heavier bike, so you get a little fitter faster and use a few more calories. You are talking less that a litre of water, excluding the water bottle (750ml with, at a guess). I can sweat more than that one a rainy day on a 2 hour ride!

Is that weight really worth the £££'s?

Top Bottom