B'Twin Triban 3 - Any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Robwiz

Regular
Took the plunge and joined the forum (long slippery slope from now on). Started cycling again at the end of sept 12, on my old Carrera subway 2 doing about 20-25 miles a day rides, longer if weathers right (40 max so far). Have been looking at getting a road bike and everything seems to be pointing in the direction of the triban 3. Not having had a road bike for years will the difference be that great between what i'm riding now and the B'Twin.

It's a bike, so you'll pedal, feel the bumps in the road through your arse and lean around corners just like you do on your Subway 2. So it will be an experience you recognise. But, you'll notice how the bike is lighter, spins up to your cruising speed faster and takes less effort to keep up a good speed. You'll cover the routes you do now a fair bit faster. And you'll probably enjoy it more. So yes, you'll notice the difference.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
.....and hills will no longer be a challenge .......errrh well Norfolk hills that is!

skinnerdcfc

Hi, i'm new to the forum, and to cycling really. I am looking at getting the B'Twin Triban 3, but noticed the £20 price difference between the White and Red versions of the bike. This might sound like a dafr question but is their any difference in spec, or simply just different prices due to colour? Thanks.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Hi, i'm new to the forum, and to cycling really. I am looking at getting the B'Twin Triban 3, but noticed the £20 price difference between the White and Red versions of the bike. This might sound like a dafr question but is their any difference in spec, or simply just different prices due to colour? Thanks.
This is well covered elsewhere on this forum.....but basically the new white cheaper Triban doesn't have the carbon fibre fork or as good gears. If you can still get the red Triban it is a brilliant bike for the money. The new version is still good value - but not as competitive.

skinnerdcfc

Sorry, I could find anything else about the bike, just needed a quick reply. Thanks for the information, much appreciated!

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Sorry, I could find anything else about the bike, just needed a quick reply. Thanks for the information, much appreciated!

No need to apologise, this forum is a friendly place where cyclists like to help cyclists (So long as you avoid the helmet debate and current affairs....and under no circumstances whatsoever venture on to the Thatcher's dead thread! :laugh:)

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
that good hey?
Just step away! :smile:

chefjamie82

New to the forum. Had my Triban 3 for about 8 months now and I absolutely love it, it does exactly what I need it to do. Up till now I've had no reason to upgrade any components (except for the tyres after 3 puncture in a week) but now that I've moved from just commuting to longer rides in the countryside (20-30 miles, sometimes longer) I have become more and more annoyed with the sti 2300 shifters.
I find that unless my thumbs grow by about another inch it's almost impossible to shift up whilst in the drops. Yet it seems like there are no shimano shifters for 8 speed cassettes except for the 2300. The rest of the ranges seem to be for 9, 10 or 11 speed.
Is it worth upgrading (meaning I'd probably need a new cassette and derailleur as well) or just sticking with until I (eventually) upgrade and keep the T3 as my winter bike.
Any ideas welcome thanks

D

Deleted member 20519

Replace your chain every 1k miles! I've been quoted £110 to replace my drivetrain on my Triban because I forgot to replace my chain :sad:

D

Deleted member 20519

Are you going to change like for like jaz or upgrade?

I was planning on just replacing it but now that you mention it, it would make sense to upgrade. What would be a sensible upgrade that wouldn't be too expensive?

Billy Adam

New to the forum. Had my Triban 3 for about 8 months now and I absolutely love it, it does exactly what I need it to do. Up till now I've had no reason to upgrade any components (except for the tyres after 3 puncture in a week) but now that I've moved from just commuting to longer rides in the countryside (20-30 miles, sometimes longer) I have become more and more annoyed with the sti 2300 shifters.
I find that unless my thumbs grow by about another inch it's almost impossible to shift up whilst in the drops. Yet it seems like there are no shimano shifters for 8 speed cassettes except for the 2300. The rest of the ranges seem to be for 9, 10 or 11 speed.
Is it worth upgrading (meaning I'd probably need a new cassette and derailleur as well) or just sticking with until I (eventually) upgrade and keep the T3 as my winter bike.
Any ideas welcome thanks
If you are going to keep the wheels make sure you grease them regularly. The standard wheel set up is for want of a better word cr@p. Either not enough grease or to tightly adjusted or a bit of both. I've been looking at some tiagra shifters to put on mine (same prob as you). You can put the nine speed shifters on an eight speed drive train, just have to adjust everything accordingly. I've also put a SRAM pg 850 11-28 cassette on and the difference is really noticeable.

Billy Adam

I was planning on just replacing it but now that you mention it, it would make sense to upgrade. What would be a sensible upgrade that wouldn't be too expensive?
Have a look round I'd go nine speed probably tiagra or something like that. Depends on budget.

Top Bottom