B'Twin Triban 3 - Any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Typhon

I guess that all depends on how good your finances are, are you single or attatched and can argue it, and how long before you want to upgrade to a new/higher spec bike? Also what did you buy it for? first road bike, bike suitable to be locked up at work/college/school/home/generally outside, just because you could or because it was a cheap road bike?

From my point of view, extra weight just means that little extra training on a slightly heavier bike, so you get a little fitter faster and use a few more calories. You are talking less that a litre of water, excluding the water bottle (750ml with, at a guess). I can sweat more than that one a rainy day on a 2 hour ride!

Is that weight really worth the £££'s?

I bought it as my first bike since I was a child, with a view to getting fit on it over the winter and then if I was still cycling a lot by spring, buying a full carbon bike. Currently I have to commute 100 miles a day via motorway so I only use it recreationally and never leave it anywhere except locked securely in the garage. In the long term I would love to have a job closer to home so that I could commute via cycling as that would really keep me fit and keep my weight down so it could be a commuter bike in future.

I am a single professional with no kids so I don't really have to worry about budgeting for things. I am hoping to do a few charity runs and eventually join my local cycling club so the extra 1/2 kg or so I could save would be significant. It just feels like a bit of a waste if I then go and buy a 2-3 grand carbon bike. But then as I say it could then be a commuter bike, or an everyday bike. So I'm sure it would still be used in the future.

I bought it as my first bike since I was a child, with a view to getting fit on it over the winter and then if I was still cycling a lot by spring, buying a full carbon bike. Currently I have to commute 100 miles a day via motorway so I only use it recreationally and never leave it anywhere except locked securely in the garage. In the long term I would love to have a job closer to home so that I could commute via cycling as that would really keep me fit and keep my weight down so it could be a commuter bike in future.

I am a single professional with no kids so I don't really have to worry about budgeting for things. I am hoping to do a few charity runs and eventually join my local cycling club so the extra 1/2 kg or so I could save would be significant. It just feels like a bit of a waste if I then go and buy a 2-3 grand carbon bike. But then as I say it could then be a commuter bike, or an everyday bike. So I'm sure it would still be used in the future.

I'd save up and just get fitter riding it personnally. (I have one btw and am leaving wheels alone and the tyres until they need to be replaced) I have however re-trued the wheels because on both mine and my husband's T3's they were not as good as it is possible to get them by eye.

Typhon

I'd save up and just get fitter riding it personnally. (I have one btw and am leaving wheels alone and the tyres until they need to be replaced) I have however re-trued the wheels because on both mine and my husband's T3's they were not as good as it is possible to get them by eye.

Ok, thanks for the advice. How have you got on with the tyres by the way? I had two punctures the other day which was the catalyst for me looking at new tyres and then by extension the wheels also but I haven't had any punctures since so perhaps I was overreacting a little.

Typhon

That's good. Perhaps I was just unlucky with my two punctures. I haven't heard too many stories about Triban 3 owners being visited by a certain fairy so hopefully they are fairly resistant.

Edwards80

Über Member
If it helps - I have lost almost 3 stone since December (when I got the bike, I was 13st 10) I'd hate to think what it would cost to save that much weight on the bike :-)

As for the wheels/tyres. I broke a spoke after 2000 miles on the stock wheels and used it as an excuse to upgrade. I've since used the repaired wheel/tyre again when my replacement (Mavic Aksium) failed. No issues with punctures or grip with the stock tyres.

I've used the bike for commuting, a few imperial centuries, shopping trips, social rides, fast club runs, a time trial and hilly rides.

Stop worrying about a few hundred grams here and there and ride the thing/save up for a huge upgrade later on.

Great Forum this , been lurking for a while, thought I would say hello .

some interesting stuff on here about the Triban 3- I bought one myself after meeting up with some of the lads in the peak district for a few days climbing , walking and cycling - I took along my wifes mountain bike - made of pig iron :dry: boy did I suffer on the 28 miler that day, whilst my mate was grinning from ear to ear on his new triban 3. he let me have a little ride on it when we stopped for a brew after about 14 miles, I nearly cried when I realised how light and responsive it was compared to mine. ( I only took wifes MTB as I thought we were going off road) I was so impressed I bough one a few months later.

Firstly, I couldnt get one anywhere all sold out -Except for Endingburgh Hermiston Gate Branch of Decathlon.
I rang them up and asked them if I could buy it online and get my own courier to pick it up as they dont courier bikes out from that depot - hence why they still had some in stock.
I spoke to some really helpful lads there , Scott and Graham were the lads from cycle dept , who I spoke with, they - boxed my bike up and packed it with foam around tubing , they couldnt have been more helpful, absoloutly brilliant Lads.
They let me know when my courier had picked up the bike and It arrived in one piece after me reading horror storys about the couriers delivering bikes that looked like they had been dropped out of an Airoplane !!! :ohmy:

I have done a few 20 milers up into the hills and its performed wonderfully, I rode my mates lightweight custom built ultegra groupset bike - then my own T 3 - be honest there wasnt much difference - except he paid about 3 grand for his .
End of the day its the pair of legs pedalling the bike that defines how fast it goes, just try some SPD 520 shimano clipless and shave off about 80 grams - but the smooth responsiveness of your pedalling will amaze you.
I may try lighter wheels at some time later - but happy to ride my Raleigh Tourer through winter with all its 15 kg weight - then come summer my T3 will seem like a feather !!

Robwiz

Regular
I have done a few 20 milers up into the hills and its performed wonderfully, I rode my mates lightweight custom built ultegra groupset bike - then my own T 3 - be honest there wasnt much difference - except he paid about 3 grand for his .
End of the day its the pair of legs pedalling the bike that defines how fast it goes, just try some SPD 520 shimano clipless and shave off about 80 grams - but the smooth responsiveness of your pedalling will amaze you.
I may try lighter wheels at some time later - but happy to ride my Raleigh Tourer through winter with all its 15 kg weight - then come summer my T3 will seem like a feather !!

Excellent, valuable common-sense input. The Triban 3 is a remarkably competitive road bike at £300. Any gains derived from expensive components (like Ultegra) are very marginal and can be achieved, albeit with hard work, by improving fitness and not being over-weight!

defy-one

Totally agree with all that has been said about the T3.
Son still using his and won't let me ride it.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
I agree, my Triban is a lovely bicycle and it gives me pleasure just to look at it......which is fortunate, because that's all I'm capable of doing at the moment:sad: Prior to my current shoulder issues I completed a 100 miler on it (just swapped the saddle for my old faithful Brooks and put SPD M520's and bottle cages on it) and it was superbly comfortable throughout.

Typhon

some interesting stuff on here about the Triban 3- I bought one myself after meeting up with some of the lads in the peak district for a few days climbing , walking and cycling - I took along my wifes mountain bike - made of pig iron :dry: boy did I suffer on the 28 miler that day, whilst my mate was grinning from ear to ear on his new triban 3. he let me have a little ride on it when we stopped for a brew after about 14 miles, I nearly cried when I realised how light and responsive it was compared to mine. ( I only took wifes MTB as I thought we were going off road) I was so impressed I bough one a few months later.

Firstly, I couldnt get one anywhere all sold out -Except for Endingburgh Hermiston Gate Branch of Decathlon.
I rang them up and asked them if I could buy it online and get my own courier to pick it up as they dont courier bikes out from that depot - hence why they still had some in stock.
I spoke to some really helpful lads there , Scott and Graham were the lads from cycle dept , who I spoke with, they - boxed my bike up and packed it with foam around tubing , they couldnt have been more helpful, absoloutly brilliant Lads.
They let me know when my courier had picked up the bike and It arrived in one piece after me reading horror storys about the couriers delivering bikes that looked like they had been dropped out of an Airoplane !!! :ohmy:

Welcome to the forum. :smile: 600 miles after purchasing my Triban I am also a very happy camper. I think you're right about the more expensive bikes. It seems like a law of diminishing returns compared to how much you spend. The difference between the Triban and my old 17kg MTB was night and day but the difference between it and a full carbon bike is no-where near that big.

Kev Sp.

I took the Triban out for a 15 mile training loop with my neighbour. Still smile at how smooth it is. I'm (touch wood) having no issues with wheels tyres or hubs. The gears are getting a little sloppy,but that's down to some cable stretch, something i need to look at.
Now my neighbour has the halfords carrera tdf ..... Triban is way way better

Just wanted to add, I've been single-track riding for the last five months and wanted to get a road bike to get some more miles in, happened across this thread from google and this comment is exactly the one I was looking for - comparison of a tdf against a t3.

Not only am I now decided to take a trip "to ikea" at the weekend, but I've taken the time to sign-up - forum looks great - right, off to bike-discount.com for some gatorskins I guess (buy before the bike, not the first time ;-) )

Billy Adam

Took the plunge and joined the forum (long slippery slope from now on). Started cycling again at the end of sept 12, on my old Carrera subway 2 doing about 20-25 miles a day rides, longer if weathers right (40 max so far). Have been looking at getting a road bike and everything seems to be pointing in the direction of the triban 3. Not having had a road bike for years will the difference be that great between what i'm riding now and the B'Twin.

Top Bottom