B'Twin Triban 3 - Any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlastairS

Hi, I'm thinking of buying a Triban3, but I have just a couple of questions which I hope you can answer.
Can it take fixed mudguards - not the ones you strap on?
Can it take a pannier rack - I'll give a small rucksack on the back a go, but I might not like that ?
User above upgraded entire chain drive because couldn't change gear when hands in drops - which gear changer did this rider choose (a link to compare original and new would be appreciated). I suppose upgrade improved gears too?
Alastair

AlastairS

oh, forgot , T3 in my size is out of stock online. Anyway to know when it will be available online again. an't seem t be able to contact Decathlon for this question? Alastair

Edwards80

Über Member
Hi, I'm thinking of buying a Triban3, but I have just a couple of questions which I hope you can answer.
Can it take fixed mudguards - not the ones you strap on?
Can it take a pannier rack - I'll give a small rucksack on the back a go, but I might not like that ?
User above upgraded entire chain drive because couldn't change gear when hands in drops - which gear changer did this rider choose (a link to compare original and new would be appreciated). I suppose upgrade improved gears too?
Alastair

I fitted SKS Raceblade longs onto mine and they were fine, I'd say there's clearance for a more permanent set but it depends on the guards I guess.

It has the lugs to take a rack. I fitted a rack to mine over winter last year to carry my work stuff, fortunately switched to a rucksack now as I have less equipment to lug around!

Being unable to change gear from the drops is irritating sometimes but I don't think it warrants changing the entire drivetrain. I've done a few road races on mine and it didn't cause me any big issues. Just push the pedals a bit harder/spin them a bit faster until it's safe to shift your hand :biggrin:

discomixx

This is well covered elsewhere on this forum.....but basically the new white cheaper Triban doesn't have the carbon fibre fork or as good gears. If you can still get the red Triban it is a brilliant bike for the money. The new version is still good value - but not as competitive.
sheet i just bought the white thinkin it was same as red, just upgrading my trusty old hybrid-is this still best bike around for £300 or should i look elsewhere? many thnx in advance-is red available anywhere 60 or 63?

tudor_77

Über Member
The Carrera TDF at £249 is by far a better deal than the current white triban 3. The TDF is a solid bike which got rave reviews by bike radar a few years back. Its also built to last as my friend has been commuting on one for years without a single glitch. I know the triban 3 (red) has carbon forks but I don't think it would be vastly better than the TDF, especially at such a ridiculously low price.

I'm almost tempted to pop down to Halford's myself.

Sully

Über Member
There are several bikes I'm currently looking at:-
Halfords Carrera TDF, Carrera Zelos or the red T3 all pretty much aimed at the same market
whats your thoughts ?

Just been trawling through the archive posts and come across this:-
http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/carrera-tdf-gearing.137291/
see this is what I mean, this is why I want to put all my efforts into choosing the right bike, I know it's not a fortune but I have to keep a check on my finances as the eldest lad wants a new iPhone 5 !

The triban 3 (and I think the other tribans as well) are triple chainrings on a 50/39/30 teeth combination with a cassette that is usually 12-25. Quite a few of us have changed to 11-28 cassettes to asist on hills, but I was able to manage some of the steep Scottish climbs (15-20%) on the 12-25 cassette, but I was dancing on the pedals and quite fit back at Easter - not the case now and I know that I would be back to struggling/walking...
My OH who is more like a mountain goat was fine with that combination - I am more a a distance/endurance person than he is, so I do get my own back at the end of the day :laugh:

Sully

Über Member
See that all goes over my head....thicko, 11-28 etc etc but I don't really want a T3 then have to start upgrading it, I'm coming from MBT'ing tho so may not be a massive issue.

I am from a mtb & touring background as well.

Most lower end/entry level road bikes have crap wheels, but they will do for initally. I simply used mine until I had literally worn them out, then upgraded them after 9 months (I used the bike all winter in all conditions, wet & dry & ice which didn't help especially as I often had to cycle through deep flood water). I did exactly the same with the cassette, used in til it wore out.

the stock 12-25 cassette does not go as high or as low as the one I replaced it with 11-28. A mtb usually has something like a 11-34 (this is the number of teeth on the cassette range, max-min) so can give you a couple of lower gears. the smaller the chainring at the front, also makes for lower gears.... on the road speeds tend to be higher and therefore you don't (in theory) need as many lower gears.. (T3 is on 50/39/30 - I am in the process of replacing it with a 52/42/30 combination after wearing out the chainset as well very recently) This new combination will keep me with some really low (granny gears) but also extend my upper range as well because the largest front chainring has more teeth.

how good you are at climbing will make a lot of difference as will where you usually cycle - and that is the important one. For me, it is a variety of places, so once I had worn out my 3rd chain and finally the cassette, I replaced the chain & casette with a different range to assist on some of those short sharp climbs cheshire has so many of in my area and for teh mountains that I often visit (that and a medical condition that prevents me from gaining muscle mass).

Hope that roughly explains it to you

Tcr4x4

Veteran
Just phoned the Reading store to ask about buying a Triban 3 red, after the declathon Uk CS team on twitter assured me they could post it out to me.

Possibly one of the most unhelpful and uninterested people I have ever had the displeasure of talking to on the phone, so they have lost a sale from me.

Shame as the twitter team answered all my questions within 5 minutes and found out all the info I asked quickly and comprehensively.

Top Bottom