B'twin Triban 500 v Defy 3 2014 v Defy 5 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamie678

Regular
So I have narrowed my options for my first road bike for the ride london 100 miler to these three:

B'twin Triban 500 (Not the SE) - £300 - Used but like new and still has the decathalon guarantee
Defy 3 2014 - £399 - Brand new
Defy 5 2015 - Brand New

At the moment im leaning towards the Triban 500 as it has the Shimano Sora's and a carbon fork which is pretty much the same as the Defy 3 but for £100 less. I hear great thing about the Defy frames though.

Any thoughts?

vickster

Legendary Member
Are you sure the decathlon guarantee is transferable? Spec wise it may be the better bike but giant frame and wheels should be better

OP
OP
J

jamie678

Regular
What do you mean by transferable? As in transferable between people or stores ?

Yeah that's my thinking but is it £100 better?

vickster

Legendary Member
Between people. Often warranties on bikes are only valid for the original owner

How do you define better? The best bike is one that you can afford, fits you (this is crucial), meets your needs and that makes you smile when riding it. I assume you have ridden all the bikes and still can't decide? Are they all for sale locally? For a newbie, after sales support can be indispensable as well

If it doesn't fit you, ride 100 will be dreadful. Also consider you may need to spend some money on the right saddle, perhaps getting a new stem that is the right size etc

OP
OP
J

jamie678

Regular
I've ridden the triban and enjoyed it but I haven't been able to ride a giant 3 yet. I can ride a 2015 model tomorrow ... I presume they're quite similar

To be honest I know enough about fixing bikes between me and friends for the after purchase support to be not an major influence in my decision to be honest.

Think I may go with the triban just because it gives me £100 extra... It cost a lot for entry... Plus as you say I may need a new seat. That and I'm a fan of having a cycle computer too and my current one is broken so that £100 can go towards all that. Going to try out the triban again tomorrow and il probably decide then

AAddict

Regular
Youre going for a second hand triban over a brand new defy 3 to save £99 ? :wacko:

Exactly my thoughts, the only deal here is the 2014 Defy 3.

vickster

Legendary Member
Ah the hub is Claris, my bad

That said I don't like willier very much, I'd actually not have any of them but that's me and I don't spend £400 on geared road bikes these days! :biggrin: Nor would I ever buy a road bike with a shimano groupset

If push came to shove, it'd have to be the giant I think

OP
OP
J

jamie678

Regular
Appreciate the opinions, by sounds of it I'll have to try and fit in a defy test ride too. I have a giant store near me so I can probably test out a defy 3 2015 model... Maybe a 2014 if they have one, is there much between them ?

Top Bottom