Bu**er it was wet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wobbly John

Veteran
Just back from the Get Cycling show. It was even windier today, but no rain.

I was the one with the really weird bikes!

Met several forummmmmmmmers.

Yesterday was the preliminarys of the Pedal powered furinture World Championships.

Today I won - Yep, I'm the world Champ!

Here's some video filmed from one of our weird bikes - a Spincycle

If you wonder what is going on at the end - I'm doing 'donuts' while filming myself.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Had a great but windy day today at the Get Cycling show. Met Doctor, Arch, Longers, Joe 24, Mickle, Spandex and some others I can't remember the names of. Saw Wobbly John but never got a chance to talk to him properly.
I spent most of the day with the family bikes, which was so rewarding, and some time with the KMXs which was a lot of fun.

I tried out a few recumbent trikes and also had a go on a recumbent bike and remembered why I didn't get on with them in the past.

I had to leave part way through tidy up time at the end as I was shattered and my sugar levels were low. I had to have a sleep when I got to the M6 services.

bonj2

Wobbly John said:
Just back from the Get Cycling show. It was even windier today, but no rain.

I was the one with the really weird bikes!

Met several forummmmmmmmers.

Yesterday was the preliminarys of the Pedal powered furinture World Championships.

Here's some video filmed from one of our weird bikes - a Spincycle

If you wonder what is going on at the end - I'm doing 'donuts' while filming myself.

that bloke half way through with an affro and a dodgy 'tache on a ... wheeled thing, with two casters for front wheels, trying to reverse, I presme that's mickle?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
My son just watched those videos and said ... "when can I have one of those (spincycle) bikes? ... that looks easy!", he's only 7.

It sounds like it was a great show...

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
bonj said:
that bloke half way through with an affro and a dodgy 'tache on a ... wheeled thing, with two casters for front wheels, trying to reverse, I presme that's mickle?

No, that was Longers;)only joking!
That is a surfbike Bonj. I wasnt too keen on them, i found if you lent too far when going too fast all your speed went and you nearly fell off. The tyres also kept lifting off the ground.
I think i met Doctor today, not sure.
Met Night Train, but only a hi. Oh and Hubgearfreek.
Was very windy today, got some free stuff, best was one of them Kellogs cycle computers. Got a bottleopener keyring aswell, and some water bottles.

Wobbly John

Veteran
summerdays said:
My son just watched those videos and said ... "when can I have one of those (spincycle) bikes? ... that looks easy!", he's only 7.

It sounds like it was a great show...

So long as they can reach the pedals, the spincycle is for kids of all ages.

The oldest kid we had on them on Monday was 86! :biggrin::ohmy::ohmy:

:biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Well, I had a great weekend! Met Longers and Joe and Night Train and the Doc, and of course I already knew Wobbly John and Roger and Mickle and Spandex. Even working, it was fun. Pity about the weather on the Sunday, but the Monday was ok (if a little breezy!). Hi to everyone I met, and apologies to those I didn't manage to say goodbye to...

And it sounds like it could be a goer for a repeat next year!

longers

Legendary Member
I wasn't avoiding you Roger!

I would have loved to say hello. I saw the bikes and wondered if you were there but forgot to try and find you :sad:. Twas great to meet all of you that I did see and also the good people of the C of C.

Cheers for the beer hubgearfreak.

Wobbly Johns bikes were great :smile:.

Despite the weather not being ideal it was great to see so many people enjoying themselves.

It turned out the landlord of the pub I frequented near the campsite is a mad keen cyclist as well, so with riding there and back it really was a wall to wall weekend of cycling.

Do it again!!!

Wobbly John

Veteran
bonj said:
were there any NON-strange bikes?:smile:

Yes - mainly on the stands with no punters looking at them :sad:

Phew! What a relief that (aside from the weather) everything went according to plan. Thank you all so much, Joe24, Longers, Night Train, The Doctor, Hubgear Freak (and party of loonies), Arch, Wobbly John (current pedal powered furniture world champion!) and Hilldodger (sorry I didn't get a chance to speak to you). Joe24 spent both days grinning from ear to ear, Longers looked rather worse for wear on Monday morning after Hubgear Freak got him sloshed, but at least that helped him sleep through the gale of Sunday night in his soggy tent. Hubgear Freak! What a great race! I hope Wobbly John can turn that pile of scrap we awarded him into something resembling an actual trophy for next year. And I never imagined in my wildest dreams that I would ever be required to ban a pedal powered toilet from racing on health and safety grounds! The damn thing needs a kickstand! (fashioned from a toilet brush perhaps?)

hubgearfreak

Über Member
mickle said:
The damn thing needs a kickstand! (fashioned from a toilet brush perhaps?)

it's in parts now, a new machine has already been mooted, over a beer:biggrin:

as for longers getting sloshed, he's a grown up and in control of his own smoking and drinking:tongue:

OP
OP
Hilldodger

Hilldodger

Guru
Wish I could have been there on the second day but I was feeling rough when I arrived on the Sunday and didn't feel much better all day.

Still, it was a great event all the same and I'm pleased the Monday was better attended.

Next year WJ needs some competition in the silly bikes stakes:evil:

hubgearfreak

Über Member
mickle said:
I never imagined in my wildest dreams that I would ever be required to ban a pedal powered toilet from racing on health and safety grounds!

mmmm.. the politically correct brigade gone health and safety mad;);)

Wobbly John said:

here is a video of radiator-john against bog-chopper-john in a race. had he not been exluded on the grounds of 'health and safety' i think we all know who the champion would be:tongue::thumbsup:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Oyxfg3bb0w&feature=user

nicola's put up more than one video, for anyone who wants to see further highlights.

has anyone got a video of the monday race??

Wobbly John

Veteran
I agree - I won by default really.

I'll probably have a video of the Monday race up tonight - (JVC was not talking to PC yesterday)

Read the report on the event, on Velovision and photos on the forum

Mickle - the trophy - Heavy oak base, some upholstery, tastefully mounted scrap, brass plate. Does that sound okay?

What do you want inscribed on the brass plaque?

"World Pedal-Powered Furniture Championship"?

" The MFI Trophy"?

Top Bottom