Budget home security

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldspice

But if the dog bites an intruder, he might catch something.
Poor dog:sad:

400bhp

Guru
Remember, a camera is a deterrent. It won't slow a thief down.

If you're on a budget, forget about cameras and lock the bike up using as many locks as possible and lock to as many immovable objects.

You could even remove one or more parts and leave them somewhere else in the house too. E.g, remove one or both wheels and lock them somewhee else. You could even let the air out of the tyres.

Clearly all of this needs to be balanced with the hassle factor of actually using your bike.

Big boy

if you havea local maplin , go take a look at the cctv deals that they have.
i picked up a 2 camera one at a bargain price., 2 more cameras can be added to it.
spy cameras generally give quite a poor image, look for something with plenty of tv lines.
A pc cam is a good idea , providing they dont nick your pc.
My first camera was a wireless one, cost me 30 quid, it works ok.
Now i have fitted it to my wired cystem that has motion detection, every bit of interference triggers the motion detection.
The wireless camera came with no way of storing the video, i just connected it up to a video recorder.
Worked a treat but took an age to look through the recordings.
the new cystem is the nuts, should anything be caught on camera i can record it to a flash drive and pass that on to mr policeman.
It wil also send a smart phone any motion detected images.
I dont bother with that as it can be quite sensitive, pics of my cat in the garden are of no use :o)
cctv images will get the police to actually come se you should something happen.
Bar that they normally just give you a crime no.

Drago

Legendary Member
There is no evidence to substantiate that CCTV actually deters offenders.

In terms of crime detection for every £800,000 spent on CCTV Nationally there is one crime detected.

Apart from giving some misplaced reassurance CCTV is useless as a crime prevention tool and next to useless ad a detection tool.

Oldspice

I live in a small block of six flats. So far i have seen 8 crimes (attempted breakins) It's funny as the council has put a sign in the doorway that there is CCTV (even though they have not installed any) the funny part is the last lot of chaps came in attempting to kick a door in then one of them stood infront of my window to smoke (poor mite was tierd) looks up sees camera then goes tells
his other friends who intern look head on at the camera then they cover there faces.

Big boy

im glad i have cctv.
there has been enough cctv images on tv. crime watch etc.
i have seen enough on mine. already to know it is a plus to home security.
it may not prevent a crime thats taking place but is used by our police.
when my bike was stolen from a supermarket.
the police would only come if there was a cctv on the bike racks.
just my luck as the place i locked my bike to had no cctv coverage

400bhp

Guru

In terms of crime detection for every £800,000 spent on CCTV Nationally there is one crime detected.

Apart from giving some misplaced reassurance CCTV is useless as a crime prevention tool and next to useless ad a detection tool.

^^Listen to this man^^. He has form so to speak. :thumbsup:

Big boy

I know who he is but can still have my say.
our police (bedfordshire) will not come out if there is A no cctv or B no physical evidece blood etc.
I have first hand experience in both.
Firstly with the theft of my bike.
And then with my car being broken into, luckily the low life had cut himself on the car lock and left blood allover the car door.
After i said i had collected the blood and bagged it, the next day a plain clothed police man turnud up and took it away.
It was the low lifes dna that caught him, he was also ordered by the court to pay for the damage.
I wouldnt be a copper for all the tea in china, they are under staffed and under paid.

Crosstrailer

Question - I can understand this with high street TV Drago but is there any stats in relation to home CCTV ?. I have seen these home CCTV kits in Costco etc and did think they would at least make a thief look at a house without CCTV - am I right or wrong ?

Drago

Legendary Member
Question - I can understand this with high street TV Drago but is there any stats in relation to home CCTV ?. I have seen these home CCTV kits in Costco etc and did think they would at least make a thief look at a house without CCTV - am I right or wrong ?
I believe it's a stat accounting for all cameras. Johnnie Spottiebum only needs to don hoodie and it's defeated. There's one make of hoodie even comes with a built in facemask type thing.

I'd have CCTV as a cherry-on-top thing, but if I'm on a budget I'd divert my funds to the physical security first.

Top Bottom