Budget home security

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
If thieves know that you possess what they want, nothing will stop them.

After one incident 5 years ago I bought some LED's, it's just a plastic holder for a "D" type battery from which is a lead and an LED. They cost a couple of quid from alarm/model shops, I drilled tiny holes in my garage doors and windows and my back house door and inserted them. Been several incidents at neighbouring garages and sheds since but not at mine. they are useless but, along with some "alarmed" stickers, a highly visible deterrent.

sku_142700_1.jpg

hoopdriver

Guru
Get sturdy locks - reckon on about 10% of the bikes value for locks.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Physical security. Alarms - get a cheap shed IR alarm, and maybe those little alarm things that stick on a window - they work and are bloody loud. Our garage was targeted last year, the thief went for weak spotd - the side door, tried to remove some glass, couldn't (internal glaized plus the door is boled shut and can't be opened) then went for side window - wood, external glaized. Spend some time removing whole window (didn't break it), but I had additional perspex on the inside, plus numerous 'bars' secured to the brick work - you just can't get in. He could just peek into the garage, that's it. After that went on more bars, and shed alarms.

The bikes were already bolted to ground and wall anchors.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm lucky. Unless one of my beighbours decides to burgle me you can't access my garden without going through a single point of access, which is covered by an IR beam that sounds a doorbell type buzzer. Ill know about them before they get within 40 feet of my shed, by which time ill already be in the phone to Tony Martin.

jakeagusta

I would recommend an alarm company such as ADT which does a £99 install. The clincher is the monitoring cost which in fairness is relatively cheap and will involve a response from the Police or Fire Brigade. Don't bother with DIY type installs as burglars will chuckle and by the time you've shed out on a basic Yale system for £129 from B&Q you have to question the worth. Burglars are not daft and will recognise a naff system.
In this day and age an alarm is an effective deterrent particularly if it is connected to an Alarm Monitoring Centre. CCTV is questionable as the majority of thieves use hoods or scarfs to disguise there features. A good thought out system incorporating shock sensors will assist to protect you, your family and assets.
Oh and I don't work for ADT either.

400bhp

Guru
I would recommend an alarm company such as ADT which does a £99 install. The clincher is the monitoring cost which in fairness is relatively cheap and will involve a response from the Police or Fire Brigade. Don't bother with DIY type installs as burglars will chuckle and by the time you've shed out on a basic Yale system for £129 from B&Q you have to question the worth. Burglars are not daft and will recognise a naff system.
In this day and age an alarm is an effective deterrent particularly if it is connected to an Alarm Monitoring Centre. CCTV is questionable as the majority of thieves use hoods or scarfs to disguise there features. A good thought out system incorporating shock sensors will assist to protect you, your family and assets.

I was under the impression that the police and fire brigade do not offer this type of service anymore.

400bhp

Guru

And you did read the OP's request for a cheap deterrent didn't you....

Big boy

I'm lucky. Unless one of my beighbours decides to burgle me you can't access my garden without going through a single point of access, which is covered by an IR beam that sounds a doorbell type buzzer. Ill know about them before they get within 40 feet of my shed, by which time ill already be in the phone to Tony Martin.
Tony martin did the country a big favour :o)
common sence comes pretty reasonable :o)
Lock everything.
if u are handy with electronic gadgets, make something.
i played about with a maplin kit, basically it was a light sensor with a small relay.
I used a lazor as a light, break the beam and the relay kicks in turning on whatever you rig it to.
Horn a light both....
you can get a security light for about a tenner with pir.
wire out the bulb rig it to whatever you like..
Just a few ideas if you fancy a diy type device...

SomethingLikeThat

Über Member
Physical security. Alarms - get a cheap shed IR alarm, and maybe those little alarm things that stick on a window - they work and are bloody loud. Our garage was targeted last year, the thief went for weak spotd - the side door, tried to remove some glass, couldn't (internal glaized plus the door is boled shut and can't be opened) then went for side window - wood, external glaized. Spend some time removing whole window (didn't break it), but I had additional perspex on the inside, plus numerous 'bars' secured to the brick work - you just can't get in. He could just peek into the garage, that's it. After that went on more bars, and shed alarms.

The bikes were already bolted to ground and wall anchors.
Crazy! Sounds like a fortress. Fantastic.

jakeagusta

I was under the impression that the police and fire brigade do not offer this type of service anymore.

I still have this service and have not been notified or made aware of any change. The only time the services will stop responding is if the property continually sends out false alarms.

hoopdriver

Guru
If you are looking for security for your bike £99 is not much to spend, although I really don't see CCTV or alarms as effective security. I'd much rather put that money towards a serious lock and floor anchor.

Top Bottom