Budget retro looking bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

le_al_khemista

Ok, a bit of long shot, I know:
My partner is looking for a retro looking bike (steel frame?) for commuting. Her budget is around the £800 mark (she absolutely doesn't want/can go over that).

For reference, she found these 2 that she likes:
Tokyobike - CS26 - https://www.tokyobike.co.uk/tokyobike-cs26.html
Temple Cycles - Classic Lightweight - https://www.templecycles.co.uk/products/classic-lightweight

She was originally leaning towards single speed due to budget and ease of maintenance (which IMO makes sense) but I've advised against it for the sake of versatility. Am I wrong? Both the above brands have SS models which are still an option.

Now, with that kind of budge I personally think she should go the second hand route but she's (understandably) quite anxious about all the second-hand market pit falls and prefers to buy new. Also, it's proving quite dificult finding something in the right size and condition withing budget even second hand.

What do you think, any other suggestions?

Many thanks!

vickster

Legendary Member
Genesis Smithfield, although a little over budget if no discount available

https://www.balfesbikes.co.uk/bikes...smithfield-mens-hybrid-bike-2020-in-grey__717

Look at the Velorution website for many retro options

Sharky

Guru
Where are you based? If you fancy a drive out to Bluewater in Kent, Ribble have a store there with quite a few bikes on display.
Their hybrid range might suit. Ring first to check what they have in the store.

OP
OP
le_al_khemista

le_al_khemista

Where are you based? If you fancy a drive out to Bluewater in Kent, Ribble have a store there with quite a few bikes on display.
Their hybrid range might suit. Ring first to check what they have in the store.

We're based in London.

I've suggested the Urban 725s from Ribble which I think is a pretty cool looking bike but she thinks it's a bit too manly 🤷‍♂️

vickster

Legendary Member

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The Temple bike looks good with a reasonable spec but seems a bit pricey for what it is. The Tokyo just looks plain odd with it’s 26” wheels and very long wheelbase and again expensive.
Why not buy a real retro bike? Plenty of them around and your budget could get you a fully restored example. I know @biggs682 on here has several examples available. What size is she?

vickster

Legendary Member
She doesn’t want secondhand
That said, I got lucky in lockdown and got a virtually immaculate 2015 Eq disc for under £600

vickster

Legendary Member
Charge was my first thought too hahaha... apparently they've gone bust. I had no idea. I think someone now bought the brand and is doing electric bikes only. Crazy.
Might be second hand option...how tall is she, the Plugs came up really big...I'm 5'10 and was borderline on a medium

Ease of maintenance was mentioned, for me that means hub gears, and if budget allows, belt drive. I'm a fan of SA 3-speeds myself, but more hills=more gears I guess. V-brakes as a minimum, and disks for hilly stuff. Seen some of them Tokyo bikes over here - look very well put together. Anyways, happy hunting :okay:

Top Bottom