Budget touring wheelset for heavy rider

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zorro

Veteran
Ahoy hoy,

Question for all of you bike geniuses out there. I need a new wheelset for my road bike and would like some recommendations. My criteria are;

• Strong rims and construction I am 115kg and carry 5-10kg with me when riding
  • Spokes 32 or 36 - will 32 be strong enough for me or should i plum for the 36?
  • Budget - up to £200 as I am saving my cash for my next bike and these wheels will only be a stopgap until that point.
  • Hubs - need a 10 speed Shimano compatible hub but not too fussed on brand (run a shimano 105 at present)
  • Where can I get them from? I would like to get them in the next week or so (by end of March latest).
Looking forward to your responses. Many thanks in advance

36 spokes is the first priority for a heavyweight wheelset.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Is the 4 cross lacing pattern just a stronger configuration? And will it be the same price as a standard pattern?
Yep it's stronger and more 'flexible' due to longer spokes so it absorbs bumps better giving less localised shock loading, it shouldn't be any more expensive (mine weren't) but it does require quite a large flange hub or things can get a bit 'crowded' at the 1st cross

OP
OP
Zorro

Zorro

Veteran
Yep it's stronger and more 'flexible' due to longer spokes so it absorbs bumps better giving less localised shock loading, it shouldn't be any more expensive (mine weren't) but it does require quite a large flange hub or things can get a bit 'crowded' at the 1st cross
Thanks, very insightful. I will definitely ask for that

Yep it's stronger and more 'flexible' due to longer spokes so it absorbs bumps better giving less localised shock loading,

That doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps you can explain?

Top Bottom