Votes: 14 19.7%
  • Lager

Votes: 21 29.6%
  • Europiss, via the USA, but brewed in the UK

Votes: 40 56.3%
  • None of the above

Votes: 9 12.7%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Nearly 100 posts in, and nobody has yet mentioned the heathen habit of drinking straight from the bottle (which seems to be compulsory with Budweiser).

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Beck's (you know, the premium German lager that makes a big deal of complying with the Reinheitsgebot?) - the front label makes much of it's German heritage

I’m always amused by the makers of these beers implying centuries-old tradition, when the style of beer didn’t even exist until the mid-19th century (see also Kronenbourg 1664 - first brewed in the 1950s).

Interestingly, part of the reason golden lagers became popular was the rise in availability of affordable glassware that could show off their colour and clarity. Which just goes to show that their success has always depended to a large extent on marketing rather than flavour.

(ETA: it's also interesting to note the way fashion has come full circle and hazy beers are now the in thing.)

Last edited:

slowwww

Veteran
I'm still with Monty Python on this, when they advised that all American Beer is like having sex in a canoe. F**king near water.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I'm a lager drinker, got better things to do...... Speaking of which.
……

upload_2018-6-25_13-29-13.png

An hour in the freezer before heading out, it was still lovely and cold while I drunk it under a huge sky by the Cock Crowing Stone (Crowing, not Growing!)

In fact I am going to cross-post this image in two other threads.....

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Bud tastes awful, but that doesn't alter the fact that lager is a type of beer.
Bitter is a type of ale, which is a type of beer.
Pilsner is a type of beer.
Even, god help us, fruit beer is a type of beer.

All of these are beer.
11437889276_3ea3afa690_z.jpg

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just to answer the original question. Budweiser is IMO a lager, but despite not being fussy I prefer not to drink it even when it is free.

As an example, on a few occasions I have been to summer parties where the 'beer' is stored in big buckets or bins of iced water. This is fine early on as your chance of shoving a hand into the cool treasure trove and pulling out a pearl are pretty good. Unfortunately as time passes the odds deteriorate and it always comes to the point where despite repeated lucky dips I am 'rewarded' with a Budweiser. I then have a decision to make as I am never so drunk that I don't care/notice about drinking Bud. I can either suffer the misery and drink it anyway or call it time on that party and go home. I usually do a combination of the two, drink half the bottle then think 'F'it', let's go home...…

Now, draught Peroni, on a hot day, in a good beer garden..... Heaven!

U

User169

InBev, who owns Stella Artois, also owns Budweiser. If you really want a bad beer, you should try some American beers like Hamms, Pabst Blue Ribbon, and Old Style. Craft breweries and local breweries are getting back going in the U.S., after being closed down and bankrupted by the prohibition of alcohol in the 1920's/30's. I live near one, and their beer(only sampled, as I have the gout,) is quite drinkable.

http://www.destihl.com/

Craft beer accounts for about 10% beer sales and 20% revenues in the US. No wonder the mega brewers are worried.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Just to answer the original question. Budweiser is IMO a lager, but despite not being fussy I prefer not to drink it even when it is free.

As an example, on a few occasions I have been to summer parties where the 'beer' is stored in big buckets or bins of iced water. This is fine early on as your chance of shoving a hand into the cool treasure trove and pulling out a pearl are pretty good. Unfortunately as time passes the odds deteriorate and it always comes to the point where despite repeated lucky dips I am 'rewarded' with a Budweiser. I then have a decision to make as I am never so drunk that I don't care/notice about drinking Bud. I can either suffer the misery and drink it anyway or call it time on that party and go home. I usually do a combination of the two, drink half the bottle then think 'F'it', let's go home...…

Now, draught Peroni, on a hot day, in a good beer garden..... Heaven!

I can drink a Bud, but would obviously prefer not to, as I am a functioning human.
I did get given a Coors Light once, and even though it was free, I just couldn't drink it. Truly revolting.

Top Bottom