Votes: 1 3.2%
  • I would use the Cafe, but would not ride to it

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • I would engage in the orgnised rides and events

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • Cake and Bacon on the menu?

Votes: 11 35.5%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
TIGG STUDIO

TIGG STUDIO

This.... in spades.
Forget all that healthy bowlacks.... ^_^
Seems a consensus has formed! Customer is always right. Especially a hungry one in Lycra.

OP
OP
TIGG STUDIO

TIGG STUDIO

Isn't there already something like this in Derby? Park Bikeworks:

http://parkbikeworks.co.uk/

I've never actually been, just saw the website.
Hi Kalniel, It's not to far, I might ride out and take a look, and see how viable it seems in terms of footfall. It's within the local area but a good 20 miles from the locations I'm looking at, noted that it exists tho, and would be a good place to start in assessing the potential. Thanks for your interest and for the suggestion.

Steady

Über Member
Hi Kalniel, It's not to far, I might ride out and take a look, and see how viable it seems in terms of footfall. It's within the local area but a good 20 miles from the locations I'm looking at, noted that it exists tho, and would be a good place to start in assessing the potential. Thanks for your interest and for the suggestion.

It was previously Derby council owned, but I believe they're now selling the building and renting it, apparently it had no reflection on how viable the business was. Despite the fact it's in a perfect location (ie. A6 returning cyclists) I've never actually stopped. Didn't look to accessible from the outside, unlike your initial design which I can see as a massive advantage.

The balcony is always packed in the Summer months though.

OP
OP
TIGG STUDIO

TIGG STUDIO

It was previously Derby council owned, but I believe they're now selling the building and renting it, apparently it had no reflection on how viable the business was. Despite the fact it's in a perfect location (ie. A6 returning cyclists) I've never actually stopped. Didn't look to accessible from the outside, unlike your initial design which I can see as a massive advantage.

The balcony is always packed in the Summer months though.

Checked the place out, and it very impressive, slick and very nicely thought out. It take your point about the accessibility and general look, it almost seems to formal to be clipping round in road shoes, but in that respect I assume it drags in a wider range of people, non cyclists also. Its got some pretty serious services in there to in terms of full servicing. I suppose given my intent I cant really directly compete, and always had in mind a more informal meeting place, ride start or end, and somewhat alfresco experience, but it is at the mercy of the British weather which might prove problematic. Food for thought, in one way its encouraging such a large facility seems viable in the region, on the other hand, it provides a ider scope of activities..very good heads up tho, as it's a good start to get to grips with whats expected by users.Thansk again for your time and effort. Steve W.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Cyclists are a notoriously tight-fisted bunch (around here at least :tongue: ) - they have been known to bring their own sandwiches into a cafe and share them out under the table :huh: !

The food needs to be
1) Cheap
2) Filling
3) Familiar

Tea should be available in pint mugs if requested and there must be enough inisde seating that people know they will get somewhere to sit - there is nothing worse than arriving somewhere when you are starving and finding the cafe is full :stop:

But, there is the problem that "normal" people as opposed to "cyclists", want nicer food, nicer surroundings and don't really want lycra-clad, sweaty lumps sitting around in silly shoes scoffing cake in huge quantities. It is a very difficult job to marry the two camps, to keep them both happy and both spending money.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Another cafe that seems to do well is the one on the Downs by the water tower, which I think mainly is just food. I've no idea what the split is of cyclists non cyclists, but it attracts cyclists as its near where they cycle, and there are plenty of cycle parking and seats outside where if it's nice you want to sit and enjoy the weather whilst keeping an eye on your bike.

D

Deleted member 23692

I would have suggested Derby in preference to Nottm as it feels more cycle friendly with a much better network of cycle tracked radiating out form the centre.

but Beeston might be a good location
- it's not far from the Uni so there's all the hipster ££££.
- it's well connected to a good network of cycle tracks,which lead to the city centre down the canal, out further along the Trent/Derwent and Erewash valleys, and the Big Track - all of which might tap into the family £££
- it's the right side of Nottm to connect will all those routes running to the Derby's Dales, National Forest etc (for the more serious rider)

Seems a consensus has formed! Customer is always right. Especially a hungry one in Lycra.

Glad to be the one that started it :biggrin:

If you set up in Nottingham, it's a little too far for me to be a regular (would be looking at a 100 plus mile round trip) but would certainly make an effort to make a visit to try things out if you keep us updated here!

Good luck!

OP
OP
TIGG STUDIO

TIGG STUDIO

Glad to be the one that started it :biggrin:

If you set up in Nottingham, it's a little too far for me to be a regular (would be looking at a 100 plus mile round trip) but would certainly make an effort to make a visit to try things out if you keep us updated here!

Good luck!
Superb to know there is support, a 100 miler might be an ambitious summer run but you would be 100 percent welcomed and no doubt a slab of sustenance will be waiting gratis.

OP
OP
TIGG STUDIO

TIGG STUDIO

I would have suggested Derby in preference to Nottm as it feels more cycle friendly with a much better network of cycle tracked radiating out form the centre.

- it's well connected to a good network of cycle tracks,which lead to the city centre down the canal, out further along the Trent/Derwent and Erewash valleys, and the Big Track - all of which might tap into the family £££
- it's the right side of Nottm to connect will all those routes running to the Derby's Dales, National Forest etc (for the more serious rider)

OP
OP
TIGG STUDIO

TIGG STUDIO

Beeston is a good shout, I've set up a meeting fingers crossed with Notts uni to discuss the concept, I've had in mind the lakeside uni boulevard or somewhere close, as if has a fat cycle track, is 10 min from the city and is en route out to long eaton, back road to Kegworth, Out into Leicestershire, Loughbrough ect where a do most riding. We shall se what comes of the conversation I suppose. Gets a fair bit of general footfall and there is plenty of space. Not sure what their own commercial activities would dictate. Suck it and see.

Top Bottom