Votes: 1 3.2%
  • I would use the Cafe, but would not ride to it

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • I would engage in the orgnised rides and events

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • Cake and Bacon on the menu?

Votes: 11 35.5%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 23692

Humm... is the Uni still as unpopular with the citizens of the city as it was a few years ago?

Have you tried Broxtowe Borough Council. They've always been quite forward thinking and keen to get involved with new ideas.

OP
OP
TIGG STUDIO

TIGG STUDIO

Humm... is the Uni still as unpopular with the citizens of the city as it was a few years ago?

Have you tried Broxtowe Borough Council. They've always been quite forward thinking and keen to get involved with new ideas.
I live city but just out of Broxtowe council and oddly I know someone at the council who could possibly assist. It's the power of combined minds, I'd not actually put the link together, cheers for the prompt, it's a big area and there is a fair bit of green space and parks etc. good prompt. Not sure about the opinion of the uni these days, it's very involved in the city, but that doesn't mean people necessarily want to engage. Cheers, Steve.

simon.r

Person
I live just north of Nottingham and regularly stop for tea / cake / bacon cobs when out riding. Some of the cafes I use are:

The kiosk near Trent Bridge (always think this should do more business, especially when the weather's nice, but don't think I've ever seen more than 2 or 3 people there at one time. It may be because it looks a bit shabby?)

Various coffee shops in West Bridgford. Plenty of footfall and lots of utility cyclists about, but also lots of cafes already.

Homemade on the Forest Rec. Good drinks, but a lack of bacon cobs! Often quite busy and is close to Nottingham Bikeworks https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nottingham-Bike-Works/1553682631518660

Cafe in Ruddington, don't know the name.

Caravan cafes in Newark and Loughborough market places. Standard take away fare.

The Broadway cinema also often has quite a few bikes outside. Somewhere in Hockley could have potential?

One thing I do look for when choosing a cafe to stop at is somewhere I can leave my bike in view when I'm ordering. I don't carry a lock and will not use a cafe if I have to leave my bike out of sight. What would be fantastic would be a secure bike parking area (maybe with locks / keys in situ).

Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
TIGG STUDIO

TIGG STUDIO

I live just north of Nottingham and regularly stop for tea / cake / bacon cobs when out riding. Some of the cafes I use are:

The kiosk near Trent Bridge (always think this should do more business, especially when the weather's nice, but don't think I've ever seen more than 2 or 3 people there at one time. It may be because it looks a bit shabby?)

Various coffee shops in West Bridgford. Plenty of footfall and lots of utility cyclists about, but also lots of cafes already.

Homemade on the Forest Rec. Good drinks, but a lack of bacon cobs! Often quite busy and is close to Nottingham Bikeworks https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nottingham-Bike-Works/1553682631518660

Cafe in Ruddington, don't know the name.

Caravan cafes in Newark and Loughborough market places. Standard take away fare.

The Broadway cinema also often has quite a few bikes outside. Somewhere in Hockley could have potential?

One thing I do look for when choosing a cafe to stop at is somewhere I can leave my bike in view when I'm ordering. I don't carry a lock and will not use a cafe if I have to leave my bike out of site. What would be fantastic would be a secure bike parking area (maybe with locks / keys in situ).

Good luck!
In situe Bike locks ect would be an absolute priority, I've found a company in Grimsby which make just the thing and ended up doing a bit of design work for them, as would other touches like shoe lockers and others stuff I have picked up over the last few months to make it encouraging. Location is very tricky as most have forwarded, I hope Nottingham had the right location as it's got much else going for it in terns of it's transport policy, the cracking local clubs, the milk race, gnbr, uni Lincoln run and it's history making bikes. It's also got some great, if flatfish routes which I have enjoyed mutchly and think are worth promoting.

Ern1e

Über Member
Sounds like a mighty fine idea to me now should you feel the need to branch out we sure could use something like this up my neck o' the woods lol.

OP
OP
TIGG STUDIO

TIGG STUDIO

Sounds like a mighty fine idea to me now should you feel the need to branch out we sure could use something like this up my neck o' the woods lol.
Cheers, getting some superb feedback and much to consider. Have engagement from local councils ect and the Local Univerity, so it's a damn good start. Sure if it gets going that you could park halfway and ride in through the edge of Derbyshire even if it would be a fair old treck. I'll get the bacon on! Thanks again for the very positive encouragement. I'll post updates good and bad as I go along, good riding. Steve

OP
OP
TIGG STUDIO

TIGG STUDIO

Thanks everybody for the excellent comments and feedback, it makes a great difference, I ask a favor, a small one, if there are friends and associates on this forum, would it be possible to send them a link or prompt to see if they would be willing to add to the vote at the top of the page, They don't need to comment if they don't want to, or can if they do. Good and Bad! I hope to get a hundred or so responses, which will build a more comprehensive picture of opinion, before I meet with a couple of interested parities over the next few weeks. Thanks all again...

snorri

Legendary Member
The artists impression with its row of lightweight bikes portrays a rather exclusive venue.
Would you be equally welcoming to a touring cyclist with laden panniers or mum and dad with a tagalong?

OP
OP
TIGG STUDIO

TIGG STUDIO

The artists impression with its row of lightweight bikes portrays a rather exclusive venue.
Would you be equally welcoming to a touring cyclist with laden panniers or mum and dad with a tagalong?
Yeah, that has been commented on, I think i need to revise the visual for P2, as I would not want to discourage recreational cyclists. I head out on the roads, but equally I have a 5 year old daughter who is interested in cycling and the fun of the canals and tag along and wouldn't want to feel out of place in an 'exclusive' venue. It's a tricky balance to strike to suit everbody's needs, but exclusivity and snobbishness was never part of the agenda. The fun and experience of cycling is the core ethos, King of the Mountains or not. All welcome as it's the mix will make it work. Thanks, Steve.

Sara_H

Guru
View attachment 91210
View attachment 91211

I am a keen road and off road cyclist looking to fund a Cycle tailored cafe/takeway in the Nottingham area, I have a clear vision of the building and facilitates and have some concept designs and detailed plans. As it's a new project I'm looking for feedback to help perfect the design in view to re-engaging with the Local and City council about a suitable location and support infrastructure. I feel it fits perfectly with the Cities ambitious plans to become a fully integrated transport HUB.

The Vision includes;

Safe bike and Equipment storage whilst at the Cafe including integrated locks and lockers.
Repair facility including component sales and general servicing-while you wait.
Healthy nutritious snacks, great coffee and other sustenance perfect for active outdoor lifestyles.
Live and Recorded broadcast of cycle events, including National and International tours and track events.
Mapping and cycle route info, G.P.S hire, bike hire and organized cycle events.
Special seasonal events and children's activities.

Would love to engage with people about the idea, and hopefully get things moving...
I like the look of it.
An friend of mine opened a cycle themed cafe in Sheffield a couple of years ago (Amici & Bici if you want to look).
They loan locks, play cycle races on a big screen and get involved with local cycle events. They do really good coffee, cakes, sandwiches etc.
It's also on the way out to The Peak for many Sheffielders, so is a meeting/finishing point for a lot of rides out.
Seems fairly busy, though my friend has since sold her share and moved on.

OP
OP
TIGG STUDIO

TIGG STUDIO

I like the look of it.
An friend of mine opened a cycle themed cafe in Sheffield a couple of years ago (Amici & Bici if you want to look).
They loan locks, play cycle races on a big screen and get involved with local cycle events. They do really good coffee, cakes, sandwiches etc.
It's also on the way out to The Peak for many Sheffielders, so is a meeting/finishing point for a lot of rides out.
Seems fairly busy, though my friend has since sold her share and moved on.
Again, it seems I'm somewhat behind the curve!! but still it's encouraging that a similar sized city can support a venture and it be reasonably attended, It's a short blast from work so I will take a look and glean as much as possible from it's approach.

Top Bottom