Build your own bike

Self build

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
derrick

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Photo what ?
Store your pics online, then just post the img code

link http://photobucket.com/
bianchi1.jpg

brokenflipflop

Veteran
brokenflipflop

brokenflipflop

Veteran
Store your pics online, then just post the img code

link http://photobucket.com/
Derrick. You have a cool looking bike in pretty colours and a fancy stand nicely positioned next to a Yorkshire stone wall. Very impressive. My picture of my dog and tree can't disguise my home made piece of crap that I've propped up against a rather vulgar radiator. I've made sure the light conditions for the picture is also rather poor and I've not only put an incredibly uncomfortable Brooks B17 saddle on it, I've managed to tilt it to an impossibly ridiculous angle. Also notice the un-racer-like angle of my handlebars. I think you'll agree, what a piece of shoot.....I wish I'd never heard of photobucket. Thanks.

brokenflipflop

Veteran
I've even managed to bugger that reply up. Just in case you're wondering I have been talking to the dog, hence his thoroughly pissed-off expression.

brokenflipflop

Veteran
Yeah, I know. I got this saddle after reading how comfortable they are. Then when it wasn't comfortable I was advised the saddle wasn't adjusted correctly (severe pain between my arse and balls, perenium I think) so that's why it's set at that angle. No doubt I'll slide down it and have an even greater pain when I hit the top tube.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I built my first bike when I was 12, back in the 70s. Proper cutting and rewelding frames and wheel building to make choppers, not just assembling from new parts.
I have recently rebuilt a recumbent trike and updated a folder.

I am planning a recumbent trike build from the frame tubes upwards.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
The problem I have is my own ignorance...I have no idea which parts I need in terms of specifications sizes etc...I only know I have a brian rourke steel frame, it needs wheels, stem, bars, shifters, chainset, bottom bracket..the lot..but when i go on ebay I am baffled because I cant figure out which bits will fit my frame etc. No excuses..jus t ignorance really...

Cyclopathic

Veteran
The problem I have is my own ignorance...I have no idea which parts I need in terms of specifications sizes etc...I only know I have a brian rourke steel frame, it needs wheels, stem, bars, shifters, chainset, bottom bracket..the lot..but when i go on ebay I am baffled because I cant figure out which bits will fit my frame etc. No excuses..jus t ignorance really...

I am familiar with this problem. Until I am more familiar with components on line buying is out of the question. I really need to see the parts and be able to take advice about compatibility before I go ahead and part with cash. I'm currently trying to build a tourer from scratch using second hand and new parts. As yet it's very early days and I am still in the proscess of stripping the frame down. The seat post was virtually welded in and now the sealed bottom bracket unit is proving all but impossible to rmove and my require some brutal drilling.

Without some sage help and advice I would be at the mercy of bike shops, some of whom may want to just sell something rather than ensure that I get the best item for my needs. It's a minefield but I am finding that just going ahead and doing it is the best way of learning what's what. I've always fettled my own bikes and am quite capable but my knowledge is restricted to what I have encountered. By building from scratch I find I'm learning something new with virtualy every job.

Building and fixing and customising ones own bike is half if not more of the enjoyment of cycling. It's good to be on a bike that you've spannered yourself and know that everything is in order.

brokenflipflop

Veteran
Do what I do - buy the parts you think will fit and when they don't, just put them in your garage. I find there are two outcomes to this approach, firstly it costs a fortune and secondly it cloggs the garage up. When mates comes around they think I'm some kind of cycling workshop, eccentric genius when in actual fact I'm just a pillock.:blink:

Top Bottom