Build your own Road bike :O

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Sittingduck said:
Probably go for the Tiagra Triple :smile:

:ohmy: Go and wash your mouth out now, if you are going down the shimano route than 105 would be a better bet

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Cost is something of an issue :smile: The leap up to 105 is probably out of my range. TBH I would have thought Sora would be okay. Checked out Xenon in Decathlon again Yesterday and it does seem a bit "Plasticy". Scared of a Compact though... need a triple! :ohmy:

02GF74

Über Member
I did that with my racing Bianchi mtb. Ended up getting a few bits - wheels, brakes from CR but most of it was from ebay. (frame, seat post, forks, saddle etc.)

It is a fun thing to do that everyone should do once. If you hang around ebay or spot the sales items, you can save money too.

stevevw

Guru
Sittingduck said:
Probably go for the Tiagra Triple xx(

What size tube does the front mech fit on? I have one I bought for my build that is 34mm ish but I should have got a 31.8mm. So if it fits yours you are welcome to it. Oh forgot to say Tiagra 9 speed triple.

I can see that this bike building lark is going to get stupidly expensive ;)

I bought a very nice blue leather Selle Italia seat for mine the other day and have already replaced it with a Fizik Arione Team Edition in metallic blue because it is a better match to the frame ;)

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Hi Steve

The seat-tube is 31.8 too but thanks all the same ;)
Know what you mean about expenses... have already gone over my overdraft limit this month and don't get paid for over a week (oops)
Will be investing in my groupset, wheels, stem, seatpost, tyres, saddle etc on pay day though! ;)

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Well it's been a looong 2 weeks but I am pleased to announce I get paid at Midnight! :biggrin:

Been looking around and doing a lot of comparisions, including getting compatible groupset components from seperate sources and shifters 2nd hand off eBay to save some ££.

Spoke to Appolo Cycles and Ribble on the phone Today (I have a day off :sad:) and unfortunately Apollo are out of stock now on all 2008 g/sets. Their webmaster is slacking and hasn't updated the site in 2 months apparently. Ribble have both Xenon CT and Sora CT in stock. Prices are similar but I have found some okay looking wheels (Shimano compatible) on eBay for a decent price so it may force my hand down the Sora route. This would be the slightly cheaper option too. Still, there's just something about the Campag g/set on Ribble... a mix of Xenon/Mirage/Veloce bits from what I can tell and the rear cassette of 13-26 seems more suitable to me.

Might end up tossing a coin at 23:59 and ordering one.... :smile:

stevevw

Guru
PM sent.

Got mine finished Monday evening and rode it for the first time Tuesday. I am now addicted to overtaking cars.

redjedi

Über Member
Sittingduck said:
Might end up tossing a coin at 23:59 and ordering one.... :biggrin:

It's that what it's called these day? :sad:

If it helps have a look at my thread on my drop bar conversion.

http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=28607

I want to use Campag shifters with my shimano wheels and cassette, and have worked out a way to do it, using a 8sp cassette and Shimano deraileur with 10sp Campag shifters.

I also find that Ribbles prices are just as cheap as Ebay, with the added security of ordering from a shop.

Good luck

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
redjedi said:
It's that what it's called these day? xx(

If it helps have a look at my thread on my drop bar conversion.

http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=28607

I want to use Campag shifters with my shimano wheels and cassette, and have worked out a way to do it, using a 8sp cassette and Shimano deraileur with 10sp Campag shifters.

I also find that Ribbles prices are just as cheap as Ebay, with the added security of ordering from a shop.

Good luck

Cheers RedJedi
I just read that thread... pretty informative :biggrin:

I would much prefer the Campag set (I think)... just the issue of finding another set of Campag compatible wheels now.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
The deed is done and I am £203 worse off now :biggrin: (ordered a seatpost clamp too).

Heart ruled the head and went for the Campag! Will be more expensive short term but ultimately the better setup (possibly) and easier to replace / upgrade in the future... plus I always liked the ITALIA style! :blush:

groupset.jpg

Top Bottom