Build your own Road bike :O

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
And you'll receive them ;)

Oddjob62

Been keenly watching this thread. I've got a Spec Globe Sport (yeah nothing special) that i would like to make a little nippier. Have been looking at maybe getting a proper racer, but the globe takes full mudguards and rack which i need for commuting, so was thinking of getting drops and a new groupset and reusing everything else from the old bike.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Hi Oddjob

I also have a Globe and did initially wonder about putting drops on it but from what I had read this can be v costly and also I fancied the idea of having another bike as a spare etc.

Obviously it would cost much less to covert your Globe to drops than purchasing the list of all components to build a new drop bar bike though! ;)

RedJedi has a post on here giving details of how he is converting his Flat bar road bike to drops - check it out. What ever you do I wish you good luck and offer my condolences to your bank manager :tongue:

p.s. I spent yet more money Today on this project (Bar Tape and cable guide for under the bottom bracket).

costs.jpg

Oddjob62

Sittingduck said:
I also have a Globe and did initially wonder about putting drops on it but from what I had read this can be v costly and also I fancied the idea of having another bike as a spare etc.

Obviously it would cost much less to covert your Globe to drops than purchasing the list of all components to build a new drop bar bike though! :biggrin:

RedJedi has a post on here giving details of how he is converting his Flat bar road bike to drops - check it out. What ever you do I wish you good luck and offer my condolences to your bank manager :evil:

I've already got a spare (old raleigh turned converted to SS), and am not "allowed" a third :biggrin:. Replacing the globe would mean losing my commuting mule. I've already scoured the forums and found RJs thread along with a couple of others. TBH if a was going to buy a new racer i'd want to get a reasonably decent one, and it would probably cost 3x what it will to convert the globe.

stevevw

Guru
Sittingduck said:
Hi Oddjob

Obviously it would cost much less to covert your Globe to drops than purchasing the list of all components to build a new drop bar bike though! :smile:

RedJedi has a post on here giving details of how he is converting his Flat bar road bike to drops - check it out. What ever you do I wish you good luck and offer my condolences to your bank manager :biggrin:

p.s. I spent yet more money Today on this project (Bar Tape and cable guide for under the bottom bracket).

costs.jpg

I wish I had the guts to do a spreadsheet of my Ribble build. Oh and Halfords are doing the 08 Comp for £499 I think we are both mad. Great fun and sense or achievement make up for it though.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Yup - I had seen road bikes that I liked the look of for 500 or slightly less but by the time I had swapped the tyres, stem & pedals etc the total spend would be about the same I think.

BTW - I have also now ordered SPD pedals (same as on my hybrid so i can use the same shoes etc. It's probably a cardinal sin but I will be putting Shimano M520's onto the Campag cranks :biggrin:

Can always "Magic marker" the Sh*mano logo on the ends if needed!

stevevw

Guru
Any chance you can come out to play next Saturday with your new bike? Or do you still have to work.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Still have to work :blush:
Looks like I will be working for the April and May Saturday rides too but no matter... will be a very fast roadie by the next time I am on a CC ride :biggrin:;)

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Gradually beginning to take shape. Groupset & pedals arrived Today ;)

The place I ordered the wheels and stem from had to order them in so they might be a few more days yet :biggrin:

04032009019.jpg

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I am enjoying doing this CoG, pretty satisfying to see it gradually getting closer to completion.

Today's update:
Bottom bracket installed, Crankset on, remaining 3 cables done & bars taped.

Not quite a pro finish with the tape and it was made slightly harder by the fact that I stupidly chose 2-tone tape to match the forks. This made it tougher to do, as I had to ensure the grey section finished in the middle and was pretty much the same for both sides of the bars!
Anyway this pic is a little blurry but it gives you the idea...

06032009020.jpg

Now I just need these flamin' wheels to arrive. I am at home Today and it would have been ideal had Parcel Force shown their faces :laugh:

Might need to get a Lockring too and skewers but waiting for the wheels / stem / tyres to arrive first ;)

Top Bottom