Build your own Road bike :O

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redjedi

Über Member
Sittingduck said:
Heheh - the cassette and chain are sparkly and nice. Wonder how long it will last this way :smile:

Am slightly dissapointed with the saga of the rear brake and the small headtube means the bars are very low down. Haven't actually ridden it though yet so I will reserve judgement! :biggrin:

Looks good SD :cheers:

Bad luck with the rear brake, but what happened to the long head tube you had? Did you cut it down before trying it? :birthday:

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Well I was working on the basis that The max spacers I could have installed was the 4 that I used. Any more and I thought they may be unstable (carbon spacers). Upon reflection it's probably okay but I just need to get used to the difference in position from a hybrid ;)

Hows you finding yours Redjedi?

stevevw

Guru
SD
I put 63mm of carbon spacers on mine. The seat is now only about 1.5" above the bars so I only knee myself in the belly while on the drops ;)
The rest of the time it is comfortable, when I get rid of a few more pounds and get used to the position I will gradually drop the bars down.

I have a spare rear Sh---o 105 47-57 drop calliper if it will help you out.

redjedi

Über Member
Sittingduck said:
Well I was working on the basis that The max spacers I could have installed was the 4 that I used. Any more and I thought they may be unstable (carbon spacers). Upon reflection it's probably okay but I just need to get used to the difference in position from a hybrid :biggrin:

Hows you finding yours Redjedi?

That looks very similar to how mine is set up, and it took a bit to get used to.

I should be doing mine this weekend. I pick the bars up on Saturday and everything else is teasing me from the corner of the lounge :smile:

I'll probably strip everything off (the frame, not me ;)) and clean it on saturday afternoon, if I can even stand up after the footy at lunchtime.

Sunday is for fitting and fettling, and I've taken monday off to practice before I run the gauntlet of the commute.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Sure would Steve - I have already polluted the bike with Sh*mano M520 pedals :biggrin:

How much would you like for it - is it black? ;)

RE: The bar height, I will probably add more spacers and give myself a more upright position when I upgrade to carbon forks... the steel / Cro-Mo forks this came with were just to try it out really. The drop outs have been filed a lot but still the front hub doesnt slide easily into place. they are more horseshow shaped than a normal U shape and are narrower at the point of entry!

Thx
SD

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
redjedi said:
That looks very similar to how mine is set up, and it took a bit to get used to.

I should be doing mine this weekend. I pick the bars up on Saturday and everything else is teasing me from the corner of the lounge :biggrin:

I'll probably strip everything off (the frame, not me :tongue:) and clean it on saturday afternoon, if I can even stand up after the footy at lunchtime.

Sunday is for fitting and fettling, and I've taken monday off to practice before I run the gauntlet of the commute.

Nice - the build and setup has taken me quite a long time but this was partly due to the staggered delivery of the parts / tools. I have read about folks who have built bikes in 2 or 3 hours but this sounds impossible to me (as a n00b builder) :wacko:

Good Luck - and remember... no fouling in the footie!

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Sittingduck said:
Sure would Steve - I have already polluted the bike with Sh*mano M520 pedals :smile:

How much would you like for it - is it black? :biggrin:

RE: The bar height, I will probably add more spacers and give myself a more upright position when I upgrade to carbon forks... the steel / Cro-Mo forks this came with were just to try it out really. The drop outs have been filed a lot but still the front hub doesnt slide easily into place. they are more horseshow shaped than a normal U shape and are narrower at the point of entry!

Thx
SD

Just a thought though SD are you sure that 105 will work with your groupset as I am sure there is something about cable pull not being compatible between campagnolo and shitmano ? :biggrin:

PS I have some M520 pedals on my mirage equipped bike and removed the shimano logo with some fine wire wool :tongue::wacko::biggrin:

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
Just a thought though SD are you sure that 105 will work with your groupset as I am sure there is something about cable pull not being compatible between campagnolo and shitmano ? :biggrin:

PS I have some M520 pedals on my mirage equipped bike and removed the shimano logo with some fine wire wool :tongue::wacko::biggrin:

Geezer in Evans told me they should be compatible yesterday (mentioned the problem to him when i was in there getting a cassette lock ring). Although the though had crossed my mind too. I was originally looking at sourcing a 3rd party caliper, such as Tektro.

What you think chaps?

These are the cheapest / in stock ones i can find:
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-...p-Allen-Key-Fitting--Front-and-Rear-17974.htm

These come in Black but they would have to order them in and might be a few weeks:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Miche_Performance_57mm_Drop_Brakes/5360040668/

Dunno what to do...
Googled compatibility and there are questions but from what I have read it seems Shimano calipers are infact compatible with Campy Ergo levers but not vice versa! if somebody could confirm or deny that would be fantastic! :biggrin:

p.s. I was thinking about Magic marker on the M520's to hide the logo dunno if this is going to extremes though, lol!

redjedi

Über Member
Sittingduck said:
Good Luck - and remember... no fouling in the footie!

The only fouling will be coming from my mouth :tongue: I won't be playing as it's the Man U vs Liverpool match. I don't think I'm good enough :biggrin:

FFFF - I don't think there is a compatibility issue with the brakes, just gearing, but I'm no expert so I could be wrong.

SD - I don't see any problems with those brakes,
but what do you need a back brake for anyway, just use your foot :wacko:

stevevw

Guru
Those SJC callipers are very long drop 55 - 73mm must be too much for you?

I am using the Miche callipers 47 - 57mm drop they work well with the Tiagra levers. And I paid a lot more than that for them. not the same quality as the 105's though. PM me your number and I will ring later.

Steve

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I got my tape measure out :angry:
Looks like the original ones are about 49mm? Not sure where I should be measuring from or to - I think the replacement caliper needs to be at least 10mm deeper - I can tell this from the position of the block against the tyre at it's lowest setting.
11032009032.jpg

I will PM you now Steve.

Redjedi - I did consider the no back brake option but given my predicted sonic speeds this may proove costly on the old shoe leather :smile:

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Hehe not quite!

Had a few problems with the back tube - punctured when I first put it in and the patches didnt seem to stop the multiple snakebite punctures :blush:
Have since got a replacement tube but the pump doesnt seem to want to inflate it much past about 80psi (as per the pump blow offs thread).

Also I need to get some new forks - the ones it came with are a bit dodgy (drop outs are more horseshoe shaped and the wheel becomes stuck so its hard to slide it out. Also I cut the stearer a bit too short and the position is too agressive.

Apart from all of the above its perfect! ;)

Get paid Tuesday so I will get a new pump and forks then! Should be completed by next weekend I would have thought. Will post the final pics and give a reprt when it's done... watch this space!

Cheers
SD

Top Bottom