Build your own Road bike :O

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Cheers for the update mate... these things are sent to try us, and at the end of the day you live and learn...

Sittingduck said:
Hehe not quite!

Had a few problems with the back tube - punctured when I first put it in and the patches didnt seem to stop the multiple snakebite punctures :biggrin:
Have since got a replacement tube but the pump doesnt seem to want to inflate it much past about 80psi (as per the pump blow offs thread).

Also I need to get some new forks - the ones it came with are a bit dodgy (drop outs are more horseshoe shaped and the wheel becomes stuck so its hard to slide it out. Also I cut the stearer a bit too short and the position is too agressive.

Apart from all of the above its perfect! :biggrin:

Get paid Tuesday so I will get a new pump and forks then! Should be completed by next weekend I would have thought. Will post the final pics and give a reprt when it's done... watch this space!

Cheers
SD

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Thanks Ian. Well, it's certainly been a learning experience so far :biggrin:

stevevw

Guru
I enjoyed it so much I am now building a MTB. I must try and take some pictures this time.

Will you be going to the Hampshire ride on the new bike? Not certain I can get away with it as it is our wedding anniversary.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Know what you mean Steve. I haven't even really finished this one yet and am already thinking about an MTB sometime in the future xx(

Can't make the April or May rides to to work commitments ;)
I need to get this bike finished within the next week or 2 and get used to it then. Put some miles in before I try long rides on it!

Cheers
SD

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
alecstilleyedye said:
just do it for the experience, it will cost more than buying a new bike, but you'll learn a lot and the bike will be more yours than one just bought from a shop.
It doesn't have to, you know.

The smart way to do it is to buy a good frame 'n forks, then get a top quality old bike that's been poorly listed on ebay, and cannibalise it. I ride a Vitus 979 frame 'n forks bought for £91 including delivery to my door, which came with headset and bottom bracket, then added, from an old racing bike I'd bought for £32, two Mavic CD4/Shimano hub wheels, chain, a Shimano 600 rear mech and Suntour front, 105 chainset, 105 brakes and brake levers, all cables and housings, and Modolo handlebars and stem.

Even after adding a Campagnolo seat stem (£10), Bontrager saddle (£7) Cannondale SPD pedals (£5), Dura Ace levers (£12) and tape (£7), all from ebay, the whole lot barely scraped over £160. So far I've ridden it 15 miles every working day, in all weathers, for about 18 months, and the only things I've had to replace are tyres, brake blocks and one cable.

If you're on a budget, cannibalise. You know it makes sense.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Yeah - it was a toss-up between these ones and some from CRC for 1 pound more :smile:
Preferred the look of these though and they keep to the colour-scheme (Black/Silver as main colours, with red and white details) :wacko:

Will need to organise a larger spacer and another star nut or expanding one!
I was thinking about this for the additonal spacer, as it is a little more interesting looking and adjustable in height. There are already about 35mm worth of plain carbon spacers installed but I need to add something either chunky or conical shaped to sit directly above the intedgrated (zero-stack) headset, as the headtube is so short!

headset.jpg

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
It's finished :biggrin:
Frame is a tad too small and the headtube is way too short - as agreed by the dude in my LBS. Got the issue with the wobble in the headset sorted by them this morning... I had left the crown race on the old forks! :ohmy: (much to the guy's amusement, lol)

Anyway it will do until I get round to sourcing a better fitting and better quality frame (rest of the components will be just fine and transferred). Frame came with a stem (now sold) and stock forks, I thought it was worth a punt at £80 brand new... lesson learned!

Here he is - check out the fugly spacer combo (caused by the weird headtube dimensions and zero stack headset):
09042009038.jpg

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Rides nicely... I think (don't really know what a road bike is supposed to feel like) :biggrin:
Budget is waaaay over my initial one of £400 though! Looking like it's going to be even more when I have changed to a more suitable frame.

Still, I've done mucho weekend overtime the past 3 months so I can just afford to take the hit :tongue:

Do you have a plan of action for the Hack build yet CoG?

bonj2

hmm, quite nice
you can have a bottle cage and a pump on the same bracket on the downtube you know - do you not find it easier to grab the bottle on the downtube than the seattube?

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Cheers

Yeah I do but I have a pair of 3/4 shorts that always get caught on the cage or bottle if I mount it on the downtube. Busted up 2 cages last year from this :tongue:

Top Bottom