Builder wants deposit for materials ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Is this normal ?
We have had a good quote from a recommended builder to refelt and relay the roof tiles along with soffits and guttering for £2200 for a 3 bed semi , the builder is asking for £500 up front for materials

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
A solvent builder should be able to stand the £500 material costs, I would pay on the day the work is completed to your satisfaction. Be careful.
Edit - just to add, reputable builders usually have accounts at builders merchants therefore they wouldn’t require immediate payment for mats anyway.

Last edited:
It's not unusual. If the builder is reputable, and the amount is comparatively small you've nothing to lose. The materials will be on site even if the builder does a runner.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Speaking as a builder I would say give him the deposit as soon as the materials have been delivered , you know you’ve got something to show for your money and he’s more assured he ain’t out of pocket if you turn out to be an arse - everyone’s a winner
I got stitched up by someone who had £1000 materials then didn’t pay for ages - it hurts , now I always write all materials are mine until payment received

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Is this normal ?
We have had a good quote from a recommended builder to refelt and relay the roof tiles along with soffits and guttering for £2200 for a 3 bed semi , the builder is asking for £500 up front for materials
Two points for me, it sounds too cheap and a good builder who is solvent should not need to ask for a deposit. I've been in my house for 37 years and never paid a deposit for building work which happens to include having all the graduated slates removed, new battens, felt and slates reinstalled.

sheddy

Legendary Member
There are crooks who ask for cash up front. Guess what happens next.
As above, wait until work has started.

Gunk

Guru
We had a big kitchen refit including removing some walls two years ago, total was around £40,000 both the builder and kitchen company asked for stage payments, as long as you know and trust them it’s not a problem.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Got to be a bit of trust on both sides - just as there are bad builders , there are horrendous customers
On saying that , for a 3 bed , it does sound very cheap

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
The last two major building works we had done; an extension and paving to the front and rear of the house, had stage payments. Some work was done, the builder asked for payment for the work done.

Reactions: DRM

berty bassett

Legendary Member
a good builder who is solvent should not need to ask for a deposit
Probably he doesn’t - but if they don’t know each other it may ease his mind a bit
It’s ok saying a builder doesn’t have to pay his account for 60 days - but he does have to pay it - even if he has been stitched up
Works both ways , maybe he’s a smaller builder so can do it cheaper but needs the cash flow quicker , I don’t know
If in too much doubt maybe go for a bigger company with bigger reputation and bigger costs
Any way of finding out a previous customer if worried
But still don’t think builder is wrong to ask for material money - buy it yourself and get him to do job ?

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
Paying a deposit up front is financially risky. Is it possible for you to pay for the materials yourself? We did this with a gas boiler which was installed by the plumber. I think this was his plan to stay under the VAT threshold.

Is this normal ?

I had exactly the same when i had my roof done 2 years ago i immediately said er what now! anyway I didnt pay anything upfront he still turned up and did an amazing job, I paid in full within minutes of him completing the job.

Top Bottom