Builder wants deposit for materials ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

remove top 3 rows then work up relathe and underfelt moving existing tiles up as he goes as i understand it
I thought you had to start at the bottom, as the tiles & the fibreglass sheet, what you are referring to as felt, has to overlap from the top. But I'm not a roofer, nor a builder

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I thought you had to start at the bottom, as the tiles & the fibreglass sheet, what you are referring to as felt, has to overlap from the top. But I'm not a roofer, nor a builder
could have been the bottom i just remember the bit about removing 3 rows at a time :smile: the usual thing in my house of dealing with my family , lack of sleep and lack of anything to de stress atm with the weather being so cack

Skibird

could have been the bottom i just remember the bit about removing 3 rows at a time :smile: the usual thing in my house of dealing with my family , lack of sleep and lack of anything to de stress atm with the weather being so cack
Hubby is a very well sought after builder, and one of the things he is always surprised about, is the lack of information other builders leave out on their quotes, which leaves an opportunity to 'add things on'. His quotes basically state EVERYTHING he is going to do, and he always get's told this by clients. If your quote is not clear on what work is going to be done, that could be a worry, although it does seem to be the norm.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Hubby is a very well sought after builder, and one of the things he is always surprised about, is the lack of information other builders leave out on their quotes, which leaves an opportunity to 'add things on'. His quotes basically state EVERYTHING he is going to do, and he always get's told this by clients. If your quote is not clear on what work is going to be done, that could be a worry, although it does seem to be the norm.
nothing is in stone yet all i have is a written quote done in a few mins whilst he was here i can always ask for a full one and ensure we get a contract before i hand over any moolah

Agreed, I would much rather have a comprehensive quote including everything on it then a price and a brief description otherwise I end up going back and forth asking questions.

To do the work Cyberknight is asking I am assuming having never seen his house is tiles off, batons off, felt off, ridge tiles off and then redo felt bottom to top with overlaps, new batons (or existing if ok) then replace tiles bottom to top and finally redo the ridges.

If there is any lead this might need repairing/replacing as it will be mess with when lifting tiles. Any tiles broken in lifting will need replacing too.

Fascia and guttering is pretty much what it says on the tin but added complications can arise if the cladding meets a window and a new strip is needed as they are often glued onto the window frame. Fascias which are not in the best of conditions ideally need treating before overcladding to prevent rotting from the inside and consider retaining the unvented or vented fascia style so as not to cause problems with damp and condensation at a later date. Choice of guttering is interesting (black, white, square, half round, guards or not etc) and it is a skill in pitching it correctly so it drains.

I would also while the roof is off if not insulated consider adding in extra insulation.

Last edited:

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Seems cheap to me.
Off a ladder I’d guess.
Like has been said, it’s a bit of trust on both sides if he doesn’t know you.
As a tradesman I always supply previous customer numbers if people want them to attest to a good job done ( I dont give them the grumpy sods’ numbers who were never satisfied😀)

D

Deleted member 26715

Probably at this time of year doing it piecemeal is a good way to do it, normal way in summer is to remove the lot in one go & start again.

D

Deleted member 26715

Off a ladder I’d guess.
Might have his own tower.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Is this normal ?
We have had a good quote from a recommended builder to refelt and relay the roof tiles along with soffits and guttering for £2200 for a 3 bed semi , the builder is asking for £500 up front for materials

In my experience, not unusual to be asked for deposit for "materials", but, personally, I would not use any tradesman who wanted cash up front. If the materials for a job were a significant cost (from the itemised quote), I would be willing to consider stage payments. IMHO, in your example, the materials are not a significant cost.

MntnMan62

Über Member

True. Some builders/contractors purposely leave stuff out so they can charge stuff later on. But it also depends on the job to be done. Some jobs you can't know what you will find until you start removing and demoing. Especially on a roof. You start to remove the old roof and expose the subroof/underlayment and you find rotted wood that needs to be replaced. No way to know what you will find. For stuff like that, the price for stuff found later should be quoted on a a sq. ft. basis. I have always tried to get at least three quotes for most jobs. And if one contractor mentiones things others don't, I use that as part of my evaluation process and helps to make the decision as to who to hire.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
£2,200 for a 3 bed semi is very cheap, does this include dry ridges or cemented ridges and new or the same ridges; at that price I am assuming it will be over cladding as opposed to ripping out wood and fitting plastic. Also do you require guard-eves to keep rubbish, dirty and little critters out?

I am also assuming he is working off a ladder? Are you happy to accept this risk or would you feel safer and happier with the insurance risk if he used scaffolding?

We were quoted for our kitchen extension to be refelted and the back to be redone with plastic cladding and new guttering about £2,500 so I’d expect the same again for the front.
Our neighbour had his semi done before Christmas. It costs £6500 with a full scaffold.

Top Bottom