Builder wants deposit for materials ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Without scaffolding what's he going to do with the tiles that have been removed? I only started roofiing in my fifties on my own projects, but have been helping my friend who's a builder ocasionally on his difficult jobs. Any job involving tile removal, felt and battening he would never do without scaffolding. It's not only safer, but makes the job so much easier when you have a stable platform to store materials on.

Skibird

True. Some builders/contractors purposely leave stuff out so they can charge stuff later on. But it also depends on the job to be done. Some jobs you can't know what you will find until you start removing and demoing. Especially on a roof. You start to remove the old roof and expose the subroof/underlayment and you find rotted wood that needs to be replaced. No way to know what you will find. For stuff like that, the price for stuff found later should be quoted on a a sq. ft. basis. I have always tried to get at least three quotes for most jobs. And if one contractor mentiones things others don't, I use that as part of my evaluation process and helps to make the decision as to who to hire.
Absolutely, and a good builder/roofer will point this out to the client/state it in their quote, if there is ANY possibility that additional work may be required. Also, a good contractor will be in demand, so if yours is available 'the next day' etc, you should ask why (there may be a genuine reason).

screenman

Legendary Member
Thinking about this, if he is anything like the roofers I have called then he is not likely to even turn up to collect the deposit.

screenman

Legendary Member
Being a builder: 2.2 is cheap for the work quoted.
The scaffold alone would be 1500 minimum.

So Iam guessing there is no scaffold to work off
Its impossible to get a good quality job with out it.

I was thinking the same for the scaffold, it is the same as I paid when I built this house.

screenman

Legendary Member
Where is he going to store the original tiles (to replace) whilst he lays the new felt.

I agree, I cannot see how the job can be done well without scaffold. I have some going up here in a few weeks as I have a leak on one of my dormers, I expect the scaffolding to come to £500 just for that.

Skibird

Whatever you decide to do, get everything down in writing and ask about/take into account:

Scaffold - who pays
What felt will they be using - you want breathable
Broken tiles - what happens if tiles can't be re-used (extra cost for new ones)
Skip - who pays for it / site left clean and tidy
Batons - you need treated

Landsurfer

Veteran
Just been chatting to my friend John as we where walking the dogs ... he's a " jobbing" builder ... does everything from plumbing to building extensions .... he loves scaffold on a job ... he reckons he can make a huge profit on it as customers never ask for the actual costs of scaffold, he just trots out the HSE mantra and they nod and accept ... He also routinely doubles the cost of skips ... and he never advertises, he gets all his work from customer recommendations .... and he never asks for money up front.
I'm in the wrong job !!

That does sound awfully cheap for a roof.
If, and only if, I knew the builder would I give him some money up front. On a large job I'd rather do it in staged payments.
Your builder sounds ultra cautious or is just starting out and doesn't have the money to cover the cost of the materials.

Orangey

Too many alarm bells for me! The money up front is the least of it.

My biggest issue - rated people! All these types of 'check my trade' sites are riddled with chancers and a good tradesman would avoid them or have no need to use them. This guy for example - okay, seems nice, good (genuine?) reviews. Oh look, he's done a super kitchen ..... but you want an experienced roofer, not a kitchen fitter!

Skibird

Too many alarm bells for me! The money up front is the least of it.

My biggest issue - rated people! All these types of 'check my trade' sites are riddled with chancers and a good tradesman would avoid them or have no need to use them. This guy for example - okay, seems nice, good (genuine?) reviews. Oh look, he's done a super kitchen ..... but you want an experienced roofer, not a kitchen fitter!
So true, and a personal recommendation is the best route to go down.

Top Bottom