Builder wants deposit for materials ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Did he come to you via Ratedpeople.com? If so do you have any come back on them? you can obviously leave bad review if it doesn't go well

Slick

Guru
Tradesmen need to protect themselves, I would agree to pay on site delivery to give you both a chance but I would never go off an online review. A recommendation is only really worth listening to if you know exactly who it's coming from.

£2,200 for a 3 bed semi is very cheap, does this include dry ridges or cemented ridges and new or the same ridges; at that price I am assuming it will be over cladding as opposed to ripping out wood and fitting plastic. Also do you require guard-eves to keep rubbish, dirty and little critters out?

I am also assuming he is working off a ladder? Are you happy to accept this risk or would you feel safer and happier with the insurance risk if he used scaffolding?

We were quoted for our kitchen extension to be refelted and the back to be redone with plastic cladding and new guttering about £2,500 so I’d expect the same again for the front.

irw

Quadricyclist
I am also assuming he is working off a ladder? Are you happy to accept this risk or would you feel safer and happier with the insurance risk if he used scaffolding?

Surely that's not for the OP to worry about? I'd expect a roofer to carry their own insurance!

Kingfisher101

Über Member
No chance, pay when the job is complete.
No way would I give any workman anything upfront. Get someone else, you should be getting at least 3 quotes anyway before you decide anything.
Have you checked all his insurances, his address, qualifications and registrations etc as well?

Last edited:

MntnMan62

Über Member
It really depends on the size of the job. For larger jobs, it is typical that the intial deposit covers the cost of a large portion of the materials. But for smaller projects such as yours, the material costs don't relate to the amount of the deposit, which is typically a percentage of the entire job. Anywhere from 10% and 33% is appropriate. And on small jobs that run lesss than $1,000 there typically isn't a deposit at all. I would add that for even some small jobs I will get more than one estimate. This way you know what different contractors are asking for. I know it's tempting to just get one estimate but then you really don't know if you are paying an appropriate price for your project. It's like houses. I laugh when I hear people say they only spoke to one broker before listing their home. And even funnier, the broker they go with is a family friend who may have just gotten into the business a short while ago. :laugh:

I wouldh've probably done such a small job without a deposit, but never off a ladder. Not only is it not safe but I don't think you would be able to do a quaity job standing on a ladder, it's tiring. My main business used to be kitchens , bedrooms and joinery. 50% deposit balance on completion, no deposit no job simple as that.

I personally don't trust any of these trade bodies that you, the trader pay to belong to. I would never join any, prefered to be refered by previous customers.

D

Deleted member 26715

Is he totally removing all the roof tiles, lifting the lats, replacing all the underfelt with glass reinforced felt, putting the lats back on, then re-tiling, then doing soffits & guttering, or is he just lifting the bottom 3 or so rows?

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Is he totally removing all the roof tiles, lifting the lats, replacing all the underfelt with glass reinforced felt, putting the lats back on, then re-tiling, then doing soffits & guttering, or is he just lifting the bottom 3 or so rows?
remove top 3 rows then work up relathe and underfelt moving existing tiles up as he goes as i understand it

Drago

Legendary Member
It's not uncommon.

Conversely, you could ask what he newds and order it yourself. Not only does it give you some security, but it removes the opportunity for him to add a 10% mark up.

Slick

Guru
Surely that's not for the OP to worry about? I'd expect a roofer to carry their own insurance!
For business to business contracts the client does retain a lot of the liability which is why cowboys don't work for larger clients as they have to jump through hoops to prove competence. A small domestic job like this theoretically could leave the OP liable but it's unlikely in reality.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
It really depends on the size of the job. For larger jobs, it is typical that the intial deposit covers the cost of a large portion of the materials. But for smaller projects such as yours, the material costs don't relate to the amount of the deposit, which is typically a percentage of the entire job. Anywhere from 10% and 33% is appropriate. And on small jobs that run lesss than $1,000 there typically isn't a deposit at all. I would add that for even some small jobs I will get more than one estimate. This way you know what different contractors are asking for. I know it's tempting to just get one estimate but then you really don't know if you are paying an appropriate price for your project. It's like houses. I laugh when I hear people say they only spoke to one broker before listing their home. And even funnier, the broker they go with is a family friend who may have just gotten into the business a short while ago. :laugh:
we are getting another quote from the builder who did the house behind us 3 years ago for £2500 just for the roof

Slick

Guru
It's not uncommon.

Conversely, you could ask what he newds and order it yourself. Not only does it give you some security, but it removes the opportunity for him to add a 10% mark up.
If they are worth their salt at all they will be on a discount with the supplier and put on their mark up and still be cheaper than the client going to a merchant.

Top Bottom