Building a bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yashicamat

Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

I am going to build a winter commuter bike out of an old frame my dad has given me. It's a 1972 (we think, give or take a year or two) Dawes Galaxy, in a dark metallic tobacco brown. The frame itself is fine (a few scratches) given that it was involved in a serious collision with a motorcyclist in 1995. The rest of the bike (except the brake levers, callipers and the bottom bracket) was written off, fork included.

Anyway, I have managed to salvage an old CroMo front fork for a fiver so that's the first bit sorted (1" stem required I think, which this fork is). I'm intending to take the bike down to the local bike shop to get that bit sorted out.

The intention is to set it up as a relatively trim and agile single speed (not fixed though) initially and perhaps add a 5 speed rear at some point in the future if the bike proves to work well. Simple, functional and effective are the key objectives really.

My questions really are over what people reckon to this for the parts line up, specifically if anything appears to be wholly unsuitable:

Shimano R500 Clincher Wheels (seem relatively cheap, but with 20/24 spokes be strong enough on a commuter? - not intending to carry anything more than a small rucksack with butties, pump & inner tube in)

Note: the rear wheel appears to come with a freehub, so would I just need one of these to convert it to a single speed?

Shimano 105 Brake 5501 (using existing levers? They seem to be functional enough, but a set of Tektro's can be had for about £18 . . .)

I would probably need a new bearing for the bottom bracket as the existing one is a bit rough, would the old "arms" (sorry, I am a bit poor at the terminology:laugh: - the bits the pedals screw into) fit onto it, or would I need new ones anyway to fit a single speed front chainring? The latter by the way I do have a 26T one from the Galaxy that survived, but that'd need a new spider too I would assume . . . .

Cheers folks, bit of a project this one but I hope to get a quick and agile commuting machine. Better than seeing that lovely old frame just sitting up in the loft for ever more.:smile:

Rob

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Rob, for a wheelset I'd consider Spa Cycles and built around Rigida rims, they're a cheaper option than Mavic rims and seem rated quite highly. For an Open Pro style go with a Chrina rim wheelset, heavier duty touring would be the Sputnik, similar to the Mavic A719. All are double eyeletted and available as 32 or 36 hole, silver or black options.

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s178p0

price varies on hubs selected, but something like Tiagra at £129 for the pair is a pretty good deal. It also means that lost local shops can maintian them easily for you, if need be.

OP
OP
yashicamat

yashicamat

Cheers MacB, they look good. A touch more expensive mind, but if it's worth it for the extra quality.:smile:

One thing I note is the lack of any mention of rim width? I was looking to use pretty narrow tyres on these rims (probably 23mm or slightly wider perhaps).

Cheers

Rob

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Decathlon do a rigida wheel £19 front and £29 for the rear 700c though is your frame 27" wheeled? although you can use 700c you may need to splay the forks and chain stays a little as well as checking brake calipers will reach. I did on my winter hack project.
picture.php

OP
OP
yashicamat

yashicamat

Those Decathlon ones seem very cheap . . . but what about the old adage of "no such thing as a free lunch" . . . there must be a corner cut somewhere, surely?

I am actually warming to those Spa cycle ones though, they look very nice. With those on and some 23mm tyres, should be a pretty quick machine.

Any thoughts on the other components folks?

Ta.

Rob :smile:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I've done about a thousand miles on the ones on mine true as the day i put them on and light for such a cheap wheel. About 1800-1900g the pair Rigida who make the rims are good and they take a standard shimano 8sp cassette. But you will get a better wheel the more you pay.

gbb

Legendary Member
If you go for the R500 Tiagra wheelset Yashi...i have them on my winter commuter.
The one thing i noticed when i got them (and probably only because someone mentioned it)..was they flex a little when cornering. It just doesnt occur to me anymore. Otherwise they've been fine wheels for the price (£68 pair, 18 months ago) No buckles, broken spokes, going out of true...nothing.

gbb

Legendary Member
Hacienda71 said:
I've done about a thousand miles on the ones on mine true as the day i put them on and light for such a cheap wheel. About 1800-1900g the pair Rigida who make the rims are good and they take a standard shimano 8sp cassette. But you will get a better wheel the more you pay.

I had Rigida wheels on my Raleigh Chimera....they were spot on. Dont know which ones they were mind ;):blush:

gbb

Legendary Member
yashicamat said:
Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

I am going to build a winter commuter bike out of an old frame my dad has given me. It's a 1972 (we think, give or take a year or two) Dawes Galaxy, in a dark metallic tobacco brown. The frame itself is fine (a few scratches) given that it was involved in a serious collision with a motorcyclist in 1995. The rest of the bike (except the brake levers, callipers and the bottom bracket) was written off, fork included.

Anyway, I have managed to salvage an old CroMo front fork for a fiver so that's the first bit sorted (1" stem required I think, which this fork is). I'm intending to take the bike down to the local bike shop to get that bit sorted out.

The intention is to set it up as a relatively trim and agile single speed (not fixed though) initially and perhaps add a 5 speed rear at some point in the future if the bike proves to work well. Simple, functional and effective are the key objectives really.

My questions really are over what people reckon to this for the parts line up, specifically if anything appears to be wholly unsuitable:

Shimano R500 Clincher Wheels (seem relatively cheap, but with 20/24 spokes be strong enough on a commuter? - not intending to carry anything more than a small rucksack with butties, pump & inner tube in)

Note: the rear wheel appears to come with a freehub, so would I just need one of these to convert it to a single speed?

Shimano 105 Brake 5501 (using existing levers? They seem to be functional enough, but a set of Tektro's can be had for about £18 . . .)

I would probably need a new bearing for the bottom bracket as the existing one is a bit rough, would the old "arms" (sorry, I am a bit poor at the terminology:laugh: - the bits the pedals screw into) fit onto it, or would I need new ones anyway to fit a single speed front chainring? The latter by the way I do have a 26T one from the Galaxy that survived, but that'd need a new spider too I would assume . . . .

Cheers folks, bit of a project this one but I hope to get a quick and agile commuting machine. Better than seeing that lovely old frame just sitting up in the loft for ever more.:smile:

Rob

I may be wrong...The R500 wheelset will require you to set the dropouts wider. I wouldnt have thought you'd get a 5 speed cassette to go on those wheels. You'd perhaps need different wheels again.
If you reverted to a 5 speed wheelset later (screw on freewheel)...your dropouts would then be too wide.

Perhaps it can be done...but i'd be dubious

PpPete

Legendary Member
yashicamat said:
It's a 1972 (we think, give or take a year or two) Dawes Galaxy, in a dark metallic tobacco brown. The frame itself is fine (a few scratches) given that it was involved in a serious collision with a motorcyclist in 1995. The rest of the bike (except the brake levers, callipers and the bottom bracket) was written off, fork included.

The rear triangle will be sized for 27-1/4" wheels - and clearance for mudguards. Spreading the drop-outs is no big deal, but you will need very long drop brakes (57-75mm) if you are going for a modern 700c wheelset. Alhonga are best value, or Tektro R556. Both come with the old-style nut fitting you will need for this age of frame.

Is the new fork sized for 700c wheels? Drilled for Allen-key brakes or nut-type?

I'm thinking you may need the front of one set of brakes and the rear of another....

Lovely frame by the way...we have one that colour...pictured here

OP
OP
yashicamat

yashicamat

Thanks for the continued input everyone.

The new fork is a modern 1" fitting, so yes it is designed for 700c wheels (but only with small tyres on - it was on a racing bike in a previous life).

I'm thinking now a R556 or Alhonga at the back, and a Shimano 105 Duel pivot on the front (how would I know if it's drilled for allen key or nut-type fittings? - it just has a threaded hole in it at the moment so I'm guessing a nut fitting . . .). Only problem is the long reach brakes are evidently uncommon enough to only come in pairs so I'd have a spare front brake unused. . . hmmm.

Googling for 1" stems, I have come across this: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Sturmey-Archer-Sturmey-Archer-Stem-Forged-Alloy-2972.htm which I assume would be the sort of thing I'd be looking for?

Looking at bottom brackets, what would be the correct fitting to look for?

Sorry I'm asking all these questions, my bike mechanic knowledge base is showing some weaknesses . . . I should think it will be much improved though by the time I've finished this project!:eek:

Cheers

Rob

OP
OP
yashicamat

yashicamat

Here's some photos / measurements if they're of any use (note: the frame hasn't been cleaned up yet!):

The frame & minor damage from the crash (the frame is straight despite the dent, so I think it'll be OK):

frame1.jpg

note that on the below one, the damage is just the painwork on the bottom tube, the "mess" around the stem is just dust.

frame2.jpg

frame3.jpg

The new used fork:

fork1.jpg

Measurements taken from the centre of the centre brake hole (see the first photo for how I have taken it) directly to the axle line (using an old QR as a guide):

framemeasure1.jpg

framemeasure2.jpg

forkmeassure.jpg

What do we reckon?

mossy

quest como

Hi Rob

I built last year .Great fun but fixing gears was fun.
You won't have that issue.

Try looking at Quest como wheels.
They are amazing for the money and worth every penny.Reviews are on here but they are a well kept secret.
Google quest cycles .I am pleased with mine.
Good luck,

Top Bottom