Building a bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

boylucifer

Have been discussing the idea of building a singlespeed with a couple of my mates as a bit of a project - problem is that we know nothing, and at this point have nothing towards the idea, other than enthusiasm.

We are fairly well set that we'd like to build a retro looking bike and would like it have flip flop style hub - we want whatever we build to be as clean as possible - and fully expect to take turns at falling off of it (if we set it fixed)!!!

Can anyone advise of what key points we should be looking at, if there is anywhere that lists all the components we are going to have to look for, and what sort of ballpark prices we'd be looking at for the various bits required.

As I say - at this point all we have is enthusiasm!

Thanks....

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The frame will be an issue - you want (ideally) for clean looks, is an older steel frame with horizontal drop outs, but expect to pay a premium for a quality frame, even in a shabby state.

The rest is sort of simple, but you may need help with the BB axel length depending upon hubs/chainset as the chain line should be straight....

OP
OP
B

boylucifer

Cheers for reply - I had kind of sussed out that horizontal drop outs were going to be a necessity for a clean build - guess i'll just need to keep my eyes peeled!!

Big John

Guru
I have no idea where you live but it's possible there may be a local bike charity near you - we have one in Stafford called Back2bikes. I work there at weekends as a volunteer and it's a bit like a bike scrap yard! You can get near enough all the bits you'd need to make a fixie for a very reasonable price.

Getting an old frame, the right size of course, may not be too big a problem but getting a flip flop wheel might be. You can always get one built at your LBS but expect to pay around 80 quid for a half decent one.

You'll need a seat, seat post, frame/forks with headset, any 700c front wheel, a flip flop back wheel, bottom bracket (getting the right width can be fun), chainset, pedals, front brake caliper minimum, stem, bars, brake lever, chain, couple of decent tyres/tubes and a couple of rim tapes. It all adds up doesn't it?

It may sound a lot but they really are worth the trouble to build. Enjoy.

OP
OP
B

boylucifer

Thanks for the list - will keep you posted on how it turns out.
I'm thinking the collaboration with my mate will just be the first one - I already had it in mind to build one, but was waiting until I've got the new bike I'll be getting next month past the Mrs before starting to gather the required bits...

Top Bottom