Building a couple of 20" wheel tadpole e-trike from scratch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
@Tail End Charlie
Not seen this thread before. Love the write up. Wow, just wow.

Have you read the other 3 threads !

regards emma

Same reason that Jaguar stopped using drums 60 years ago ( discs are more efficient )
But do you need the extra stopping power of disks vs the almost maintenance free use of drums.
All the write ups I've seen say drums work fine on bent trikes.
I admit that I've got disks on my bent trike.
But that's more due to me only having one hand after my accident so both front brakes need to be linked to a single lever.
If I independent front brakes then I'd have may well gone the drum route.

Then again I don't know how hard drum hubs are find or how expensive they are to buy from the likes of ICE.
And it's probably fairly easy to get/mod a stub axle to work with a disk hub for a home build

Luck ........... :biggrin:

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
@Tigerbiten

E-trikes due to EAPC regulations need brakes on all 3 wheels and since the trikes were originally designed with 160 mm front discs ( these have proved inadequate going down hill at 40+ mph ) and the squeeze pressure to stop starting to get too hard for my old hands , it was decided to upgrade to bigger rotors , an easier route to go as l have the disc hub wheels and only the mounts need extending , currently both trikes are under going local paint renovation as well as new spherical rod ends. They might get new chains as well.

Regards Emma

Do you go both fronts on one lever and the back on the other one or each front on it's own lever and the back on a friction lever so it can work as a drag/parking brake.
The first case is probably the strict interpretation of the law but it takes more strength to get good front brakes.
The second case is probably an acceptable interpretation of the law and on a bent trike you probably have better overall braking from less effort. I've also never heard of anyone being pulled over for using this combo.
I use a mix of both with both fronts off one lever and the back off a friction lever under it. So two independent brakes but it's tricky using both together. I need to keep the fronts on by pressing my leg against the lever, only then I can then modulate the back friction lever. This means Ikeep control on steep downhill runs while I use the back brake as a drag one. That's because I can then let the fronts cool to stop them from overheating.
Then again I have shifted to twin hydraulic fronts off a single lever as I do think they give better braking for less effort.

Luck ........... ^_^

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
We use both front brakes of a single lever on the right and rear on the left as per a standard d/f , These trikes apart from "everyday" transport have always been test beds for new ideas .
The way we have converted them will allow us to return to the pit bike brakes or experiment with 180mm at a later date.
During the conversion l noticed something in the rear tyre , a silver of glass , the next day the rear tyre was flat , not a problem as we are swapping the tyres ( all 3 ) for marathon speeds and replacing the rear rotor with a matching one whilst that is been done we will be repairing and spraying the scratches on the rear triangle.

Later's Emma

I'd try setting your brakes up the other way tadpole trikes can be set up and see if you like it.
Left front off left lever, right front off right lever and the back brake off a friction gear lever.

Advantages ........
On a tadpole trike there's is not a lot of weight on the back wheel so it cannot give you a lot of stopping power before the back wheel skids. So with independent fronts and the back brake only used as a drag/parking brake you may well find that you get better overall braking for less effort.
Easier to setup as you don't need to fine tune the front brakes so they work the same.
You probably don't need it but on silly long type alpine descents with three independent brakes it gives you more options as to how to stop the brakes overheating. You can rotate two on and one off. That's what I really miss with my linked front and independent back setup when dropping down steep twisty hills with a full camping load. To date I've actually burnt out two different sets of front brakes whilst on tour.
Also with the back brake on a friction lever it make it so easy just to twist it on when you stop to stop the trike rolling away. Just remember to twist it off when you set off again. Everybody makes that mistake at least once ........ :laugh:

Disadvantages ............
Probably not strictly 100% legal, but ICE has been building them like that for at least 20 years now.
You may have to be slightly more careful of brake steer when stopping in a straight line if/when you're only using one front brake, but that also can be helpful on corners. You'll probably soon adapt to it anyway.

Luck .......... ^_^

Reading further I found that
in the case of a pedal cycle which is not a bicycle, they comply with the standards for braking systems fitted to a bicycle which comply with clause 4.6.8 of the 2014 BS EN Standard
Now 2014 BS EN Standard also points to to ISO 4210
But ISO 4210 does
not apply to specialized types of bicycle, such as delivery bicycles, recumbent bicycles, tandems, BMX bicycles, and bicycles designed and equipped for use in severe applications such as sanctioned competition events, stunting, or aerobatic manoeuvres.

So as far as I can tell you need two efficient independent braking systems split front /back.
Which both systems are.
But without digging a lot further how strictly legal it is to also split the front brakes on a tadpole trike is ???????

Luck ............... :laugh:

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
but that is not eapc regs.

legally you only need a rear brake on a bent trike as the seat is under 18" ,
eapc regs states braking distances etc .

Tried L&R but didn't get on with it

regards Emma

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
Day 5 on the upgrade , bitten off more than we could chew but starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel, only to find it was some one with a lamp bringing more work .

Mini spray booth made for the small parts .
another few days should see both sorted.
WP_20190109_16_11_32_Pro.jpg
WP_20190109_16_10_07_Pro.jpg

regards Emma

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
Hi Folks

Day 8 on the conversions to 203mm discs and just as a by-product the local respray on mine has turned into a lot more than originally anticipated , Kens is almost done leaving only the brake cables to be cut and fitted, a rear tyre is also on the cards but that can wait a few more days .
I have replaced the tyres on mine for Marathon Speeds using 1.5x20 tyres and the 6 chains ordered earlier this week have arrived , looks like another 5 days before the trikes are finished , Life unfortunately gets in the way with the continuing house clearance .

Photos will follow soon

regards emma

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
Cable wrapping arrived today 5 days on a 3 day delivery , despite being damp and cold ( not by my log fire ) Ken persuaded me to venture outside and do something to the trikes , suddenly remembered I had some spares in the house and returned to the warmth for a few more minutes to locate a pedelec sensor and a replacement ignition switch for mine ( salt water from the coastal path ) Again Ken encouraged me to return to the garage to do some more , well 5 hours later Kens electrics have been sorted and new inner and outer cables fitted . The rear end of mine ( not my bottom ) almost finished with the exception of a little more paint refurb to do . , more tomorrow and photos if fine enough.
regards Emma

Last edited:
Top Bottom