Building a fixie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I live by the coast in Hampshire; it's pretty flat and I am toying with the idea of building a fixie to do some commuting on - because apparently they're incredibly fast.

So,

(a) what are they like to ride compared to a hybrid? (which is what I have at the moment).

(:laugh: I would like to have a go at building one around a lightweight hybrid frame. What kind of sproket/chainring size should I use? Should I use road cranks or MTB cranks?

OR ... I would like to just take the back wheel off my current hybrid, chuck in a fixed gear wheel and hub, and see what it is like. Would that work? I have road cranks on my hybrid.

EDIT: Ooops! I'm tired - I should have posted this in the "fixed and singlespeed" forum! Sorry ... could some kind mod please move the thread for me? Thanks :laugh:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
XIS, if running fixed on your existing bike your only concern would be chain tension. Most modern geared bikes have vertical dropouts and the rear derailler provides chain tension. This or a special tensioner(which is like the spring & cogs only of a derailler) would normally be used for a single speed. However a chain tensioning device is a big no-no for fixed, so options are:-

Standard vertical dropouts - perfect chain length, eccentric bottom bracket, eccentric rear hub - these don't seem that popular with fixie afficionados

Horizontal, forward facing dropouts - this would require a new frame or, if your frame is steel then new dropouts can be put on, but pricey.

Track ends or rear facing horizontal dropouts - as per the above

As older bike frames had horizontal dropouts they are very popular for single speed or fixed build projects.

If you do decide a frame is required I have one that could fit the bill, depending on size. I'm in Farnborough, Hampshire and the bike is an old Raleigh Hybrid. I'd like to keep the wheelset(it's a sturmey archer 3 speed and you'd need new wheels anyway) but the rest is yours for £10 if you want. It's a 58cm frame TT and ST and I paid £20 for the bike. I was going to build a fixed but I have 3 other bike builds to complete first and have gone off idea of fixed.

You'd need to pick it up, not worth posting, but are welcome to drop by to have a nose first if you prefer. You could even just select the bits you want and I'll strip off anything you don't need. My estimation would be, new wheelset, new chain and possibly some brake/BB(chainline) fettling and you'd have your fixed complete. If it rocks your boat you could then upgrade bits as you wanted. The BB may be a bit suspect but it's an old square taper and you can get a new one for £8 if need be.....Al

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
(a) what are they like to ride compared to a hybrid? (which is what I have at the moment). Way way faster & a whole different experience.

(:laugh: I would like to have a go at building one around a lightweight hybrid frame.
Don't. Get an old 531 racer off ebay to start with. Holdsworth, Claude Butler, Carlton, something along those lines. You'll never look back. I have a v nice hybrid - there is *no* comparison.

raindog

er.....
As mentioned above, a modern hybrid frame won't work because of the vertical drop-outs. You'll need an older type road frame with angled slots, or better still, a real track frame with proper horizontal axle slots.
Good luck - riding fixed is great fun.

OP
OP
XmisterIS

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
MacB said:
XIS, if running fixed on your existing bike your only concern would be chain tension. Most modern geared bikes have vertical dropouts and the rear derailler provides chain tension. This or a special tensioner(which is like the spring & cogs only of a derailler) would normally be used for a single speed. However a chain tensioning device is a big no-no for fixed, so options are:-

Standard vertical dropouts - perfect chain length, eccentric bottom bracket, eccentric rear hub - these don't seem that popular with fixie afficionados

Horizontal, forward facing dropouts - this would require a new frame or, if your frame is steel then new dropouts can be put on, but pricey.

Track ends or rear facing horizontal dropouts - as per the above

As older bike frames had horizontal dropouts they are very popular for single speed or fixed build projects.

If you do decide a frame is required I have one that could fit the bill, depending on size. I'm in Farnborough, Hampshire and the bike is an old Raleigh Hybrid. I'd like to keep the wheelset(it's a sturmey archer 3 speed and you'd need new wheels anyway) but the rest is yours for £10 if you want. It's a 58cm frame TT and ST and I paid £20 for the bike. I was going to build a fixed but I have 3 other bike builds to complete first and have gone off idea of fixed.

You'd need to pick it up, not worth posting, but are welcome to drop by to have a nose first if you prefer. You could even just select the bits you want and I'll strip off anything you don't need. My estimation would be, new wheelset, new chain and possibly some brake/BB(chainline) fettling and you'd have your fixed complete. If it rocks your boat you could then upgrade bits as you wanted. The BB may be a bit suspect but it's an old square taper and you can get a new one for £8 if need be.....Al

Thanks for all the info!

I think what I will do in the first instance is to find an LBS that has a fixie in stock, and just ask them if I can have a test ride. If I like it, I'll think about building one!

Top Bottom