Building A Thorn Sherpa

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If I was to buy a Thorn Sherpa frame would I be able to swap the rest of the parts from my dawes galaxy over to the sherpa frame to create a bike ( apart from the wheels)

Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question just curious thats all.

andym

Über Member
Yes, probably. There might be some exceptions - eg the BB or the front mech.

jags

Guru
yip no problem.while your at it get the b/b faced for a perfect fit sjs recommend you do this .best of luck on the build you will enjoy your new sherpa great ride.

OP
OP
roundisland
thanks for the positive responses I will really look into this one sounds like a great solution for me.

Just looking at SJS and it says the thorn sherpa is a Reynolds 531ST is that the same as the 531st on my dawes galaxy if there are differences what would they be?

Jags what do you mean by getting the bb faced, will it be expensive to have done?

P.H

Über Member
roundisland said:
t
Just looking at SJS and it says the thorn sherpa is a Reynolds 531ST is that the same as the 531st on my dawes galaxy if there are differences what would they be?

I don't know where that comes from, the Sherpa is made from Thorn's own double butted chromoly, which they call 969 (Probably the tube thickness) Nothing wrong with that, I have the Raven in the same tubeset. It's probably on a par with 531 though of course how it's designed and built has a larger impact than the precise alloy of the steel. The forks are Reynolds 531. If you're hoping it'll be a better bike than the Dawes you may be disappointed. Unless of course the Dawes is a poor fit, or you particularly wanted 26" wheels. Or you may have a different reason for wanting to change?

Jags what do you mean by getting the bb faced, will it be expensive to have done?
Whether that's needed depends on the chainset and bottom bracket you're using. If you use a traditional square taper BB, it's completely unnecessary as no part is touching the "face" of the shell. If you use a modern type of external bearings BB, the "face" becomes part of the fitting, if they're not perfectly parallel the bearings will not be running true which will lead to premature ware. If you do need it doing most bike shops would do it for a few quid, or free if you're getting them to fit the BB and chainset.
What type of chainset are you swapping over? On a touring bike, square taper is IMO a better option anyway. Parts available anywhere in the world and simple to replace. And still plenty of choice including the excellent (and cheap) Stronglight Impact.

jags

Guru
you will need to take it to your local bike shop ,it's basically a tool fitted into the bike were the b/b goes which take's a skin of steel of the face of it so as the the new b/b fits flush against the frame.
hope i explained that well enough ,shoulden't cost more that a fiver to get it done ,
make sure you use copper grease on all your nut's and bolts,anti seize .

OP
OP
roundisland
P.H said:
I don't know where that comes from, the Sherpa is made from Thorn's own double butted chromoly, which they call 969 (Probably the tube thickness) Nothing wrong with that, I have the Raven in the same tubeset. It's probably on a par with 531 though of course how it's designed and built has a larger impact than the precise alloy of the steel. The forks are Reynolds 531. If you're hoping it'll be a better bike than the Dawes you may be disappointed. Unless of course the Dawes is a poor fit, or you particularly wanted 26" wheels. Or you may have a different reason for wanting to change?

Thanks for the reply. Just read sjs again and it says that the forks are from the 531st. The bike fits me fine, but i do notice when fully loaded a flex in the frame and i wanted a stiffer frame that could do more rough track cycling and from the reviews I have read the sherpa seems to be that bike, at this stage I'm open to any recommendations .

Jags thanks for explaing that will do that should I take the sherpa route. Like lots of cyclists I'm trying to get the best bike on the smallest of budgets. so thanks for the info.

P.H

Über Member
jags said:
you will need to take it to your local bike shop ,it's basically a tool fitted into the bike were the b/b goes which take's a skin of steel of the face of it so as the the new b/b fits flush against the frame.
hope i explained that well enough ,shoulden't cost more that a fiver to get it done ,
make sure you use copper grease on all your nut's and bolts,anti seize .

Please read my post and stop giving incomplete advice;)
You are correct ONLY when using an external bearing BB.
It is completely unnecessary with a square taper BB, Thorn fit hundreds and don't face the shell.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
but i do notice when fully loaded a flex in the frame and i wanted a stiffer frame
Remember that ALL steels have exactly the same stiffness.

The 'stiffness' of any frame is a function of its geometry and the diameter of the tubes used, not the type of steel it is made from.

jags

Guru
P.H said:
Please read my post and stop giving incomplete advice;)
You are correct ONLY when using an external bearing BB.
It is completely unnecessary with a square taper BB, Thorn fit hundreds and don't face the shell.
ph sorry about that ,while i was replying to the post you got in before me:blush:
you are correct of course but when building a bike you need all the info you can get ;)

jags

Guru
roundisland;1187093][QUOTE=P.H said:

Thanks for the reply. Just read sjs again and it says that the forks are from the 531st. The bike fits me fine, but i do notice when fully loaded a flex in the frame and i wanted a stiffer frame that could do more rough track cycling and from the reviews I have read the sherpa seems to be that bike, at this stage I'm open to any recommendations .

Jags thanks for explaing that will do that should I take the sherpa route. Like lots of cyclists I'm trying to get the best bike on the smallest of budgets. so thanks for the info.
i really don't think you would be disappointed with the sherpa ,it's one hell of a solid bike loaded or unloaded,i put a new of tires ( supream's) on it couple months back and it made a hugh difference speed wise there great tires.

Top Bottom