Building a touring toolkit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Enogeze

I've got to get some tools and might aswell get tools that would be better for going on tour rather for use in a workshop.

Any thoughts on which would be best for touring:
1) combination spanners with same size on both ends but one end open and the other ring ended
2) double ring ended spanners with different sizes on each end
3) double open ended spanners with different sizes on each end

I think that the option (3) might be best as
a) you only have to carry half the number of spanners and can tackle those things that you can't get a ring ended spanner around
Any thoughts on this?

I've seen some posts have referred to a multitool - do these come with a range of spanners on them? Which multitool do you prefer and why? Are these tools of a quality that won't slip and damage your nuts and bolts, screw heads, allen key heads. etc?

I guess that plastic tyre levers are better than metal ones - lighter and less likely to pinch that recently patched inner tube. Any thoughts?

I'm tending towards the Topeak Mini Morph pump (http://www.evanscycles.com/products/topeak/mini-morph-pump-ec007782) as you pump against the ground with a tube leading to the valve - should make for quick pumping and not put any sideways pressure on the valve. The blurb says "Converts between Presta and Schrader" - would this mean it's a Schrader by default and has a little widget for converting to a Presta (or the other way round)? If the former (as I have Presta valves) maybe it's better to forget this pump and get a Presta specific one?

Suggestions for what tools would be necessary for tackling a multi-week trip would also be most appreciated.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
First just check the number of 'spanners' you actually need for your bike. Over the years the switch to allen socketed machine screws has reduced the need for regular nuts and bolts, to the extent that my road and mountainbikes have none!

On the touring bike I still have a need for 8mm and 10mm spanners for some older components and mudguards, but that is all.

I'm not a fan of multitools as I found that a carefully selected range of individual tools to be more versatile and lighter.

Bigtallfatbloke

Tpeak mini morph works for me...it doesnt have a guage but thats not crucial, it does have the tube before the valve which stopped me ripping out the valves from my inner tubes each time I pumped up with another pump. It also fits nicely on my downtube out of the way.

Multi tool...I have a crank bros with a spoke tool and chain breaker on it. It has the usual allen keys , screwdrivers but no spanners. I carry a single multi spanner which also has the right size for th epedal removal at airports (although at montpellier I wasnt strong enuff to remove them!)

I carry a spare tube, spare pannier clickfix clip, spare screws/nuts, cable ties, gear/brake cables, break pads (although not really necessary in civilised countries with bike shops maybe),small bottle of chain lube, brooks saddle treatment stuff, gaffertape, puncture kit, chain links spram things, a rag, chain pins, 2 spare spokes although I dont yet know how to fit them!
I also have some patches for my airmat and ground sheet if they tear.

I guess that plastic tyre levers are better than metal ones - lighter and less likely to pinch that recently patched inner tube. Any thoughts?

Plastic are lighter, but my schwalbe marathon+ tyres needed metal ones (and a knife!) to got on initially. My puncture kit came with some rubbish plastic levers which bent...I got some blue park levers from the lbs which are stronger and not as heavy as metal ones.

I carry my tools in two clear plastic bags (one inside th eother for strength/avoid splits) in the rear pannier pocket. It allows me to find the tools/bits quicker on the roadside because I can see through the bag...I dont need to empty them all out first. They also stay dry and th einside of th epannier pocket remains grease free..

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I'm with Tim: for most bikes you won't need more than 8 and 10 mm spanners - both sizes commonly found on multitools. You will want a small selection of allen keys though. Some things have 9mm nuts, so watch for that. Maybe 15mm for pedals (though many chain whips have 15mm spanners built-in, and lots of pedals have an allen key recess in the bit that shows at the back of the crank), and 17mm ifyou have wheels without quick-releases.

The less cheap and cheerful multi-tools should be hard enough not to take the corners off things - you won't, after all, be using them that often (hopefully!)

One point to consider is: if a part needs a particular tool, are you going to need that tool so urgently it can't wait until you find a garage or somewhere that will have it? Or will a common-or-garden car workshop (the commonest ones) have that tool?

With this in mind, you might want to have and carry a chain whip, cassette remover and a spoke key, plus of course some spare spokes. Or one of these gadgets.

I speak from recent and bitter experience with a previously scrupulously robust wheel that broke spokes all over south-west Ireland...

Plastic tyre levers... hmm. In my experience they break on their second use. I have two steel ones that have never let me down.

A Leatherman-type tool or swiss army knife is very handy for all sorts of things, so it doubles for filing your nails/cutting your cheese/opening tins/getting boy scouts out of horses hooves as well as fixing your bike...

samid

Veteran
I've been carrying/using a Topeak Alien multitool. While of course individual tools are easier and more pleasant to use, the convenience and small size of a multitool outweighs the drawbacks for me. Most of my bikes have quick-release hubs, so the Topeak is pretty much the only tool that I carry, but of course when I ride the bike with tracknuts, I take a spanner for those. If I went on a long tour in a remote area, I would probably rethink my toolset though.

As for tire levers, I also like (good) plastic ones better - I've been using a set of Park ones for a long time now (before that, I had some cheap/noname ones which all broke in a rapid succession).

Edit: regarding pedals, while some do have allen slots, in my experience it is near impossible to unscrew a pedal that's been ridden on using anything but a really big and heavy driver.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Stage one is to go over your bike and identify which tools you actually need, with due regard to what you are actually going to be able to do when on tour. For example, there's no point in taking a BB removal tool unless you are also going to carry a big adjustable to work it with.

Stage two is to consider changing any non-standard fittings you may have in order to eliminate the requirement for a tool. For example, if you use a square taper BB, you may consider replacing 14mm hex headed bolts by 6 or 8mm allen self-extracting bolts.

Stage three is to consider the best tools to do the identified job, with consideration for weight and usability.
I'm like Tim and prefer separate tools. I find that with many multitools the bulk of the tool body makes access to some fittings difficult.

FWIW, the tools I have in my touring toolkit are:
1) Victorinox screwdriver bit holder similar in size to an 8mm allen key, with 2,3,4,5,6,8mm allen bits, crosshead bit suitable for rear mech, flat screwdriver bit.
2) 8/10mm combination ring spanner (Park, for mudguards)
3) chain tool
4) spoke key
5) hypercracker (cassette removal)

plus puncture stuff, spares, gaffer tape, cable ties, and a swiss army knife (mainly for kitchen duties).

PS - remove grease threads and refit pedals at home if you anticipate removal on tour (flight).

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
A multitool.
A leatherman.
Set of tyre levers,
Puncture repair kit.
Two spare inner tubes.
A slack handful of cable ties.
A spanner only if there is something specific with which none of the above can deal.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Andy in Sig said:
A multitool.
A leatherman.
Set of tyre levers,
Puncture repair kit.
Two spare inner tubes.
A slack handful of cable ties.
A spanner only if there is something specific with which none of the above can deal.

I have an identical kit plus a v.small roll of gaffer tape.. My cantilever brakes need the spanner should I ever need to adjust the blocks. Having set the bike up before each tour I've found that I've never needed to use it on the road.

Jugular

- Topeak Alien II (which includes the best tyre levers I've ever used)
- A bike spanner (nearly every size you can think of though it's poor quality)
- Cable Ties
- Gaffa tape
- Proofide for my Brooks
- Cheap mini pump (soon to be replaced with a Mini Morph now I've spotted that Evans sell them!)
- One spare inner (I've got Schwalbe's an I trust 'em)
- Some spare spokes from my crash wheel
The multi-tool is partly because I also live in a tiny untidy house i.e. little space and it's easy to lose stuff. A multitool works best for me!

jags

Guru
i think brooks do a really nice if expensive toolroll as they call it but it has all you need seperate tools ,which really are best.

OP
OP
Enogeze

Enogeze

Some good tips there. Being a newbie I was surprised to find out that nearly everything is done with allen keys these days. I think I'll possibly only need 2 spanners as advised. That hypercracker thingy looks interesting - I would like to be able to replace a broken rear spoke.

Thanks for all the input!

Pongunagu

My 'big trip' toolkit contains the following:

1x full set of Allen keys up to 6mm
1x 'Swiss Army' locking blade knife (with tweezers & corkscrew!)
1x Leatherman Charge (with full set of Allen key bits)
1x Small adjustable wrench
1x 8mm spanner, ring + open-ended
1x 10mm spanner, ring + open-ended
1x 15mm spanner, open-ended only, for pedals
1x 10cm lightweight alloy tube, 15mm diam (extra leverage for 15mm spanner)
1x Torx 20 and 25 keys
1x Chainring tool
1x Chain tool
1x Spoke wrench (multi-size)
2x Tyre levers
1x Topeak Mountain Morph pump.

Spares kit includes:

2x Inner tubes
2x Tyre boots
3x vulcanising puncture-repair kits
3x Sets of brake pads, front & back
2x gear cables
2x brake cables
1x 120ml wet lube
1x Film tub full of Campagnolo grease
1x 10-link section of chain
1x Spare Sram Power-link thing
2x Allen bolt - every size used on the bike
10x Assorted washers
4x 6mm nuts
4x 8mm nuts
4x Philips head screws to fit nuts
2x Chainring bolts/nuts
1x 10ft length of duct tape wrapped around the seat-tube under the saddle.
100x cable ties, assorted lengths/widths
1x old tea-towel as rag.

With that lot on board, I know I'm good for just about anything that can go wrong.

Brock

A set of cheap mole grips. You can do everything from whacking in tent pegs to pulling out bad teeth with a pair of those. Well worth their weight.

Bodhbh

Guru
Bigtallfatbloke said:
I carry my tools in two clear plastic bags (one inside th eother for strength/avoid splits) in the rear pannier pocket. It allows me to find the tools/bits quicker on the roadside because I can see through the bag...I dont need to empty them all out first. They also stay dry and th einside of th epannier pocket remains grease free..
Currently also just storing tools in a couple of plaggy bags, but the approach is beginning to irriate me with the bags spliting and tie-wraps poking thru any holes etc.

Any more elegant storage solution for the tools? Must be some tool wallet or somesuch available.

Top Bottom