Building a truing stand ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RufusChucklebutty

Über Member
I have a background in metalwork and welding and want to built a wheel truing stand, nothing fancy but must be steel not wood and as good as a basic Park tool one.

Can anyone tell me what features I need to design into it and what makes a good one, especially im thinking about how the alignment of the v notches affects it or does that not matter ?

iluvmybike

Über Member
This one is made in wood but might be useful as to what is required:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91nmBjsZ6s8

As I understand it once you've paid for the book any updates are free. And you can download it as often as you like.
If you want it I'd get a move on; Roger is no spring chicken and one day he will no doubt pack up altogether. He stopped building wheels sone time ago.

weareHKR

At the risk of sounding like an idiot why can't you use an old set of forks upside down in a vice?
Fine for the front wheel, but the rear is a longer length axle!

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I've always just used a cable tie around forks and frame. Bit belt and braces but got it done. Never bost a spoke even when I was very fat. Must have been good enough.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I built the one in Roger Musson's book. I built it out of some old wood that I had lying around and it works really nicely. It has adjustable uprights so you can fit different width hubs in it. You could probably modify the plans to make it out of metal if you so desired.

Top Bottom