Building leg muscles how long will it take?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I seem to be one of the few whos legs are getting bigger because of cycling . Having said that I did a lot of sport and physical work when I was younger so the muscle may well have been there before , just not used for the last ten years as I have been workshop based and lazy .
I am , like Mr Holder , rather god like though :thumbsup: ( without the dodgy carpets )
your legs are not getting bigger, they are just getting more toned as you use them - you can't build big legs by cycling alone - its a fact

Blurb

Über Member
As has been said, simply cycling will only add a small amount to muscle mass. Go to the gym if you want tree trunks for legs!
Frankly, I'm a mere mortal and I don't want huge legs. What I do aim for is to be as good as I can be on the bike (speed/stamina). That means lots of miles, hills, and the right(ish) diet. High protein , low fat.
My only concession to mass/recovery is creatine supplementation.
For me, I found tweaking my diet made a noticeable difference.
I do about 110 commuting miles and regular weekend rides of between 15 and 60 miles.
As an aside, I went through a short phase after watching a few of the Alpine events online of just climbing my local hills, it's fairly flat round Outer NW London, multiple times to get a feel for what a big climb might be like. Getting out of the saddle realy does work those quads/glutes out!

vickster

Legendary Member
Big legs don't suit skinny jeans...pre accident my calves and thighs were quite toned, muscly but chunky. Couple of changing room moments where struggled to get trousers off :blush:

Now I have one toned calf and one atrophied one :rolleyes:

Di Di

I have trouble with skinny jeans also. I've previously given up and bought a larger size for my calves but then they're baggy everywhere else. #third world problem! Now I say bring it on.

Apparently it's funny to watch me slathering myself in moisturising cream after my shower then fighting with skinny jeans. Personally, I don't quite get the joke :tongue:

Knee boots can be tricky too. Thighs are fine. It's just my calves. Had this problem for a while as an ex fell runner but more so since I ditched the trainers for cleated shoes!

I personally don't see the appeal in Hoy-esque legs. Apparently, he leg presses 650kg.

Chris%2BHoy%2Blegs.jpg

*mouthsick*

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I personally don't see the appeal in Hoy-esque legs. Apparently, he leg presses 650kg.
I think this is the appeal ...

chris%20hoy.jpg

U

User6179

your legs are not getting bigger, they are just getting more toned as you use them - you can't build big legs by cycling alone - its a fact

I have built big quad muscles by only cycling but the overall size has come down as the fat around my quads disappears, so I have went from 29 inches to 27 inches .
My cadence is quite low as I push a harder gear than most so this is possibly the reason for the muscle growth .

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
You want big legs like a track sprinter. You know what you need to do. You might struggle riding your bike for more than a few miles and up any hills though. :whistle: :thumbsup:
upload_2014-5-1_17-3-41.jpeg

My trousers are getting tighter around the thighs but I've lost over a stone since the summer. I don't do weights.

Top Bottom