Building leg muscles how long will it take?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

uclown2002

Guru
My trousers are getting tighter around the thighs but I've lost over a stone since the summer. I don't do weights.
Impressive.
I doubt you'd see that much progress if you focused on squats and leg presses.
Perhaps these weight lifters need to ditch the weights and ride a bike more.

Booyaa

Veteran

screenman

Legendary Member
Funny this, when you go on the weight loss section a lot of people say or tell somebody they are not losing weight because muscle weighs more. I have always said, it does but cycling should not build bulk, or not the amount most of us do. I think it is just their kind way of saying you are still eating to much of the wrong food.

brand

Cycling and large leg muscles are opposite no chance. In other words get down to the gym but you will be doing opposites. IE cycling equals stamina muscles, think Paula Radcliffe and weight training equals arnold schwarzenegger you will never be able to be both. So based on what you wrote you could not be an arnold schwarzenegger if you tried.
One option is to pick a hill, pick a gear hit the hill in a gear that wrecks you quickly. ie you are totally exhausted as you would be If doing weight training. You should not be trying to get up the hill. 50 yards up the hill maximum. Mark the spot turn around roll down the hill this is your break as in weight training. Do it again and again each time you will manage a smaller distance. You probably won't manage 10 unless you change the gears (or in weight training reduce the weights)
Over time you will start to pass the mark regularly (50 yards might be to far. So note the time it took, in weight training 2 minutes). So now it is time to use a harder gear. Always do it standing up to work Quads and hamstring equally.
This is what I had to do but on an exercise bike to rebuild the muscles in one leg. An injury resulted in septic arthritis in one knee. I have to do none impact and non weight bearing exercises ie cycling sat down. As I am dependent on a bicycle not that big a problem. Initially, I needed help to get to the toilet so an exercise bike was a necessity. You can obviously use an ordinary bike.
I wander though if you have the genetic makeup to achieve a significant and therefore noticeable increase in your muscle mass.....only one weigh to find out!

Last edited:

brand

It is a myth that muscle size and muscle strength are one and the same. .

Muscles are made of thin fibres visible in some meats from the butcher. Those that are cut across the grain and have very little fat. If you tear more of these fibres than you normal do, your body adds more fibres so that you can lift the new weight. An example would be if you changed your job from a desk job to a hod carrier!!!. This same as increasing the weight in weight training. If you continue in this vein you will continue to increase the amount of fibres Until you reach your maximum based on your genetic ability.
So no it is not a myth.

Last edited:

ayceejay

Guru
I have been cycling just over a year 5 days a week. I have noticed my legs are really toned but I want them to standout when I put shorts on.

How long will it take for me to have How long will it take for me to have powerful big leg muscles??

And any training advice for bigger muscles?

I'm a skinny guy 6"2ft

I had to go back and read the original question to re-orient myself as to what exactly we were discussing here and this is the question "How long will it take for me to have powerful big leg muscles?" which is an impossible question to answer sensibly. I ignored the time factor but what I was driving at with the assertion Brandon takes exception too is the assumption "powerful big leg muscles" when what the OP is looking for is legs that "standout when I put shorts on."

brand

I had to go back and read the original question to re-orient myself as to what exactly we were discussing here and this is the question "How long will it take for me to have powerful big leg muscles?" which is an impossible question to answer sensibly. I ignored the time factor but what I was driving at with the assertion Brandon takes exception too is the assumption "powerful big leg muscles" when what the OP is looking for is legs that "standout when I put shorts on."
If you are not talking about increasing the size of your muscles then I am afraid there is only one way to make your muscles standout and that it is to reduce the amount of fat that covers them. You could have a perfect six pack but it would be invisible if you have a lard bucket belly. I get the impression that you don't have muscles hidden under layer of lard? If so... well that's life. Live with it, you will have to accept ....that you will always look....weedy. The only other option is :training: and think you already know that.

Last edited:

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
Brad Pitt weighed around 155lbs (3% body fat) when he made Fight Club. He looked enormous. Diet, cut down on your body fat, presto - look bigger.

And for those saying cyclists don't have big legs, that's nonsense. Half the peleton have enormous legs. The half that win flat stages. The other half sit in the shade and wait for the hilly stuff. Sagan is an exception who is a very strong looking guy who is decent at climbing, too.

uclown2002

Guru
Brad Pitt weighed around 155lbs (3% body fat) when he made Fight Club. He looked enormous. Diet, cut down on your body fat, presto - look bigger.

And for those saying cyclists don't have big legs, that's nonsense. Half the peleton have enormous legs. The half that win flat stages. The other half sit in the shade and wait for the hilly stuff. Sagan is an exception who is a very strong looking guy who is decent at climbing, too.
3% my arse!

Top Bottom