Building my First Fixed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigEvo

I am building a fixed speed from my old Ron Kitching road bike (approx 1979/1980 - 971 Super Vitus tubing = Bocama lugs). I have been out of the cycling scene for a long time and just getting back into it. The thing is i want to re-new the bottom bracket and headset bearings and have no idea what i need from a size or spec perspective. Can anybody give me some ideas of what i will need or do i remove them and take them along to my local bike store to match up some new ones.

Any help would be appreciated as i want to crack on straight after Christmas and get on the road.

irontam

I'd probably take 'em along to my LBS - assuming they know their stuff.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Are you just replacing the bearings (the loose/caged balls)? If so, you're probably best taking them along to your LBS to get replacements of the same size. If doing this, take a few of each along, and make sure you've clearly labelled where each lot of bearings come from. Some headsets use different sized bearings for the top and bottom races, so check this too.

If you're replacing the entire BB and headset assemblies, then you open up a huge array of options.

Headset is almost certainly 1" threaded.

Your BB will need to be the correct:
  • size for the BB shell (width)
  • threading (English, Italian, French)
  • spindle length (to give you the correct chainline for your chainset)

OP
OP
B

BigEvo

Thanks for the feedback. I havent stripped the bearings or BB yet, but i think i will get some advice from my LBS once i have.

Cheers - BigEvo

OP
OP
B

BigEvo

I think i will go for a new sealed unit. They look like they will be easier to set up and fit. Thanks for the info on velosolo, looks like ive found somewhere else to spend my money.

To be fair, the old fashioned kind aren't hard to set up, and they last forever, with the occasional smear of grease and new set of bearings.

I've never met a sealed bottom bracket that coped with being submerged more than once or twice.

Length is really what's appropriate for the crank you're using.

OP
OP
B

BigEvo

Ive removed the BB & its a 3S. To keep it original i might just order a like for like replacement and keep it old school. My spanner skills should be good enough to set it up right.

Radius

SHREDDER
Nice one, and yes you'll never have any money in the bank once you start buying things on Velosolo, but they are extremely helpful and nice people to deal with.

OP
OP
B

BigEvo

New Shimano UN54 68 x 122.5 BB now fitted.
New Tange headset bearings ordered along with alloy seat post for £4.99 from SJS Cycles.
Next to order: saddle, aero bars, new rim brakes and bar end levers, new tyres and tubes, chain, etc.
The list is growing. Might have been cheaper to buy a new bike. I must admit, i am enjoying the planning and searching for suitable parts though.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
68 x 122.5 ??? That axle length may give you an issue with the chain line.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
4F said:
68 x 122.5 ??? That axle length may give you an issue with the chain line.

Yup, that needs reviewing. One of the benefits of fixed is getting a narrow Q measurement (=cranks closer together). And as 4F says, there might be problems with chain alignment.

Top Bottom