Building the perfect GrumpyBike for GrumpyGregry's Winter Audax

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
By the magic powers of CycleChat that which was lost is now found and awaiting collection from a local newsagent's shop.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
And of course there is one "standard" screw on bottom bracket I don't (yet) have the tool for, and thus cannot remove.
IMG_20180915_182557.jpg
IMG_20180915_182617.jpg

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I've been audaxing on SRAM 1x for a couple of years. Generally works well - I don't really miss anything in terms of range, but in long flatish sections, I sometimes feel like I'm missing a gear or two in view of the larger gaps. I'd probably go for regular ultegra compact if the bike were only to be used on the road, but I do a lot of off-road riding where the 1x works great.
I meant to ask, what gear range to you use and do you vary it by swapping chain rings at all?

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Nice wheels at a keen price. DCR gets first refusal though.

Absolutely, as long as you go for quality proven component manufacturers....

I looked at the given link and.... I don't recognise the components but something tells me they are cheap components ;) there's so much BS talk in the description...unbelievable lol

For the price they are asking... I wouldn't recommend them.

I'm building some wheels for my new bike with only proven quality components, Hope pro4 hubs, H+ Son rims and DT Swiss spokes for £350... the cost of the front Hope hub is equivalent to a dynamo hub.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Morning tool delivery, lunch time workshop, old BB out, new BB in, we haz crankz fitted. Chain fit and RD setup tonight after work.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
42 up front with 10x42 at the back. Haven't tried swapping chain rings.
I'm currently running, albeit in the work stand only so far, 11- 36 with 38T. This should be good enough for immediate short term plans but may be a little low geared over all. 10 - 42 with a bigger front ring is the best of both worlds. Out of interest what rear wheel are you using with what I assume is SRAM XD freehub.

Any handy hints and tips for setting up a SRAM one by road mech? I love how SRAM's written instructions are at odds with what everyone else says in online videos. I may just do it a la Park Tools as if it was a 'normal' mech ;)

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I thought you were looking at the SP Dynamo SV-8 hub in which case I was giving you a point of reference as to what total figure you could be looking at for your set of wheels. Trying to be helpful on an area I know a little bit about ;)
Reckon our dynohub wires are crossed...

The build referenced

Is with a SON dynohub which is pretty much the only brand I'll consume these days (though I have a legacy Shimano one on The Tank.)

U

User169

I'm currently running, albeit in the work stand only so far, 11- 36 with 38T. This should be good enough for immediate short term plans but may be a little low geared over all. 10 - 42 with a bigger front ring is the best of both worlds. Out of interest what rear wheel are you using with what I assume is SRAM XD freehub.

Any handy hints and tips for setting up a SRAM one by road mech? I love how SRAM's written instructions are at odds with what everyone else says in online videos. I may just do it a la Park Tools as if it was a 'normal' mech ;)

I have the Hunt 4 season Gravel disk wheelset with an XD free hub - I don’t think there’s any other choice for the 10X42 cassette.

Can’t help on set up I’m afraid - it was all part of a complete bike I bought and ongoing derailleur fettlage is done by someone else.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Won't be going stage three. a bit of mucking about with a mate's 650B wheel and a tape measure shows the chain stays to be rather too narrow in the sweetspot needed for wider tyre to work well. Ride real nice ride on 32mm tyres on the Halo Devauras though.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I think 32 or even 28c are plenty big enough for audax. Most people used smaller tyres until a few years back when larger tyres became more mainstream.

If not going further than 200 I wouldnt use a dynohub . battery lights are so good now and even the full value rider like me only needs 3 or 4 hours worth in winter.

Your bike looks great. I am very tempted by a 1x whatever set up but being a weak climber it would probably have me spinning out too soon or nasty big steps in the cassette.

Top Bottom