Building up a planet x ec130

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dennetti

Hi, I have never built up a bike from bare frame up. I have a planet x pro carbon and wondered if I bought Planet x EC 130 frame, I could simply transfer all the components from my old bike to the new. I guess this is a pretty newbie question, but thought I'd ask anyway. I really like the look of the ec130, but can't stretch to a full bike. From my experience, wheels and brakes seem quite standardised in size for road bikes. Perhaps sticking with the same brand would make it sraight forward to just swop over the components. Too easy? Probably.
Thanks

Last edited:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Most bits will. Certainly mechs, brakes, wheels, bars, stem. You will need to check the bottom bracket is the same or you may need a new crank. You will also need the aero seatpost for the frame and headset bearings. Also budget for new cables and possibly bar tape. Fairly straighforward though and gives a sense of achievment when complete.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Go for it, should quite straightforward and you can learn as you go along. Good way to upgrade. Any probs ask on here.
BTW welcome to the forum.

Tin Pot

Guru
Hi, I have never built up a bike from bare frame up. I have a planet x pro carbon and wondered if I bought Planet x EC 130 frame, I could simply transfer all the components from my old bike to the new. I guess this is a pretty newbie question, but thought I'd ask anyway. I really like the look of the ec130, but can't stretch to a full bike. From my experience, wheels and brakes seem quite standardised in size for road bikes. Perhaps sticking with the same brand would make it sraight forward to just swop over the components. Too easy? Probably.
Thanks

Go for it. I built a carbon tri bike last year - there maybe some helpful hints and lessons learned in there somewhere:

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/building-up-and-maintaining-a-carbon-bike.215939/

Ajax Bay

Guru
I have a planet x pro carbon and wondered if I bought Planet x EC 130 frame, I could simply transfer all the components from my old bike to the new
Most bits will [be compatible]. Certainly mechs,
Uncertain rather than "certainly" for the FD. I think the Pro Carbon has a band-on FD (31.8mm) whereas the EC 130 requires a bolt on FD.
You will need to check the bottom bracket is the same or you may need a new crank.
it has the same threadded BB too
Expanding on what @meta lon has said, I believe you have a Hollowtech II BB and that should screw into the 68mm BSA threaded EC130 BB shell (so all good for the chainset transfer. And :welcome:.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dennetti

dennetti

Thanks all for your advice. Much appreciated. Think I'll go for it. Noticed that the planet-x website have been advertising these frames for £400 with slight cosmetic damage, which would be fine. Unfortunately the black one I was considering has gone, but I'm sure I'll track one down. Thanks for the link to the build of the tri bike, it will be helpful. It's about time I got together a proper set of tools too. Suppose when you have all the required tools to build up a bike, you've then got the right tools to fix and maintain it. Just got to decide on the frame size. I'm 5 10, with 32 inch inside leg.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
You will definitely need some of the thin plastic tubing that comes with the full bike - it's like a long flexi straw which you poke in one end of the internal routing and then emerges from the other end. Then you thread the cable through the middle of the tubing and remove the tubing leaving your cable nicely installed. Some frames also have similar tubes which are left inside to stop the wire rattling.

ricnott

Have you looked to see if there is a community bike project near you? They are great and a mine of information, help, tools and cups of tea.

OP
OP
dennetti

dennetti

Like the toolbox. Thanks for the recommendation. Interesting to hear about the plastic tubing, I was not aware of that.
I like the idea of a community bike project, thanks. I wouldn't be surprised if we have one here in Bristol.

OP
OP
dennetti

dennetti

Hi. Does anyone know if the aero seat post for the Planet X 130 is quite a standard item, and could you tell me the width please? Thanks

OP
OP
dennetti

dennetti

Hi. Finally got to buy a Planet X C130 fame. Just need to swap over the parts from my Planet X pro carbon now. Please could someone tell me what crank puller I need to get the cranks apart. I have Campagnolo groupset. Cheers.

Top Bottom