Building up and maintaining a carbon bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
You can get special carbon cutting blades for bikes, but a lot of my friends have just used very fine normal hacksaw blades. A couple have used fibregrit not marketed for carbon fibre and seemed to have good results. Number 1 priority is use a mask, carbon fibre dust is nasty stuff.

To be honest, cutting a very expensive aero bar would be one of the few times to go to my LBS.
I would but the length isnt finalised so I'll be making two cuts. One generous to get it close, the second after seeing my fitter in three weeks.

Hmm.

Well...its not a myth if the manufacturer has written it on the top tube!

You can still use the "clamp" on the top tube.

There's a difference between holding and clamping. Find the right angle, and the balance point and use the clamp set very loosely. So that it just stops it falling off.

After all, are you never going to pick your bike up at any point by the top tube?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I would but the length isnt finalised so I'll be making two cuts. One generous to get it close, the second after seeing my fitter in three weeks.

Hmm.

I would make the first cut using a hacksaw, it should not matter too much if it is a bit rough. Then the final cut can be done properly.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Minor brainwave - my old Alu Deda Parabolica Uno are pretty much the exact size I was going to cut them to.

I'll put them in for now with some assembly paste.

My tips:

1) Use a carbon fibre seatpost if you can. Carbon and aluminium react galvanically and an aluminium seatpost very soon becomes frozen in place, especially if just a bit of sweat of salt gets in there. If not carbon, regularly remove the seatpost, clean it and put fresh carbon paste on it.
2) Whenever you hacksaw a carbon post of sorts, use the finest saw possible. An abrasive blade is best. Reason is that a sawtooth breaks fibres away and the loose fibres travel upwards like a broken sapling branch. It isn 't the end of the world, but it looks crap. The carbon sawdust is worst of the worst, vacuum as you saw.
3) When cutting the steerer tube, measure so that you have a spacer above the stem. Carbon tubes don't clamp well at the ends, it is best to apply a clamping force away from edges. The stem clamp and continuous tugging at the stem quickly squashes the tube and propagates a crack down the tube that presents as a floppy handlebar. Always leave space on top and put a spacer there.
4) Clamp it where you like but use common sense. Never torque something tight when the frame is in a stand. Always support it on the floor, for instance when torquing BB cups, not that your frame will have threaded cups - but similar for pedals.
5) Buy a little torque wrench. It will save you plenty of tears. All torques on the frame will be marked.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
First test on the turbo today...and boy carbon is flexible.

Fixed the chain that wouldn't click into place by forcing the missing link over one of the chain ring teeth with a spanner, then...

Loads of problems.

Switched over the rear wheel and the brakes kept rubbing.

Loosened the brakes to get the wheel on then the brake cable rubbed the crank.

Sorted the brake cable then the wheel started rubbing the frame...!

Sorted that, but putting the hammer down it started again...these rear dropouts are an immense pain.

There's still some sort of regular clicking I can't identify that goes away when examining it off the bike - could be the pedals.

My two alu Cinellis have been easy on the turbo, and solid - this thing you can see roughly double the movement. And getting on the handlebars I can feel it flex!

This is going to be interesting on the open road, I can't imagine descending at speed.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Argon18 E-118 + Campagnolo
IMG_7947.JPG
IMG_7948.JPG
IMG_7951.JPG
IMG_7995.JPG
IMG_8014.JPG
IMG_8017.JPG