Building up the miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for the advice.

I’m busy increasing the distance I ride by going in a loop and either taking the next turn so I do more distance or doing another lap of the loop. Not too far away from where I used to work there are quite a few hills so I’m thinking about aiming to cycle there and do a loop up and down the hills.

What are the best things to eat when going out for a little while? Would a bit of flapjack or a banana be ideal?
Yes or eat a proper balanced meal before you go out 👍

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
portion cups are pretty handy if you can't be bothered to weigh stuff. But even then it's a faff - common sense really is a good indicator of what the right choice is....unless you struggle with common sense.
I either use cups or kitchen scales to measure how much rice, pasta, muesli (whatever) I am going to eat. It isn't that I don't have common sense, more a case of poor judgement. I tried guessing 100 g portions of rice and when weighed they turned out to be anything up to 150g!

What are the best things to eat when going out for a little while? Would a bit of flapjack or a banana be ideal?
They would be ok. I don't bother eating anything extra when riding up to about 40 hilly kms (25 miles) though because...

Yes or eat a proper balanced meal before you go out 👍
... I don't need to, having eaten a good breakfast a few hours earlier! (Usually a fairly big bowl of muesli with semi-skimmed milk, 5 or 6 grapes, a banana and 50 g of Greek yoghurt.

Hudson1984

Über Member
I either use cups or kitchen scales to measure how much rice, pasta, muesli (whatever) I am going to eat. It isn't that I don't have common sense, more a case of poor judgement. I tried guessing 100 g portions of rice and when weighed they turned out to be anything up to 150g!
banana and 50 g of Greek yoghurt.

Oh wasn't directed at you, or the weight thing really (sorry I really should use clear punctuation lol) it was more based around the moderation point i.e. common sense would tell you a pie for breakfast is a bad idea - I think the OP needs a bit of normal common sense approach at this stage before really getting into anything too over the top, I mean 5 a day and not exceeding a suitable calorie intake will do all it needs to, then it can easily be tweeked for future targets.

OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

Does drinking water cause weight loss or weight gain?

I’ve read a case be made for both.

I drink a glass of water as soon as I wake up. I drink a glass of water after I have been out for a ride (always in the morning and sometimes I go for a longer ride in the evening). Also, I drink a few small glasses of water during the day.

Am I drinking too much water which will cause me to gain weight?

vickster

Legendary Member
Yiu should have 2-3 litres a day, more if exercising and sweating. If that’s all you’re drinking probably not enough. Your urine should be very pale (except first wee is probably darker).
Water contains no calories, you won’t gain weight if you sweat, urinate and defecate :scratch: (as well as expelling other bodily fluids normally)

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

Yiu should have 2-3 litres a day, more if exercising and sweating. If that’s all you’re drinking probably not enough. Your urine should be very pale (except first wee is probably darker).
Water contains no calories, you won’t gain weight if you sweat, urinate and defecate :scratch:

“However, the body has a limited capacity to handle water. If water taken exceeds this capacity, the body can no longer flush out the extra water and it will cause weight gain. This is known as, ‘water weight”.”

https://www.newtimes.co.rw/section/read/209589

vickster

Legendary Member
“However, the body has a limited capacity to handle water. If water taken exceeds this capacity, the body can no longer flush out the extra water and it will cause weight gain. This is known as, ‘water weight”.”

https://www.newtimes.co.rw/section/read/209589
But it sounds like you are not drinking much at all, there are around 2 pints in a litre, so you should be having 4-6 pints of liquid minimum, more on hot days or if exercising. Are you also doing a physical job? If so, you're probably sweating more.
So are your small glasses, pint pots?

Just stop overthinking (obsessing)...read the advice given especially around looking at NHS resources (not the Rwanda times ffs :wacko:)

Last edited:
A balanced diet.
Moderation in everything.
The very occasional pig out.
Homo sapiens is an omnivore. We are designed to eat and drink everything.
Dont do anything to excess and you will win whatever you are trying to win.

Stop being an obsessive.

As Rohan Dennis says in this summer issue of Cyclist been a perfectionist will destroy you, wear you out and drive you insane; it was part of the reason he bailed at the Tour de France and then why he made a gesture when he won at the Tour de Yorkshire later in the year.

I agree with him, @LemonJuice, if I am totally honest and don’t mean to come across as rude, you seem to unsure of everything you are doing wanting reassurance and/or comprehensive advice and appear “needy”. It’s a little bit exhausting for everyone.

Please relax, enjoy your bike now it is back on road and like everyone says eat reasonable portion sizes of reasonably nutritious food and don’t be scared to pig out every now and then as it’s actually good for your body, it stops starvation mode kicking in and fat building up.

Last edited:

tommaguzzi

Über Member
In the past I have burnt off my body fat to sub 10%. Here I am at 11st View attachment 532069

CH]
It is only possible to do this at
at 2 pounds per week. So 2 st will take 14 weeks.
Since a pound of body fat contains 3500 cals you need to generate a calorie deficit of 7000 per week that's 3500 by on food (minus 500 per day) and 500 cals of exercise. You also need to do weight training using heavy weights and low reps 3 time per week to stop your body burning muscle instead of fat.
Set goals train hard eat properly and you will succeed. Good luck from me

Attachments

• IMG_0041.JPG
    IMG_0041.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 2

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Does drinking water cause weight loss or weight gain?

I’ve read a case be made for both.

I drink a glass of water as soon as I wake up. I drink a glass of water after I have been out for a ride (always in the morning and sometimes I go for a longer ride in the evening). Also, I drink a few small glasses of water during the day.

Am I drinking too much water which will cause me to gain weight?
Neither gain nor loss.

CXRAndy

Guru
Some of the questions lemon juice is asking, are politely saying, silly. I read them wondering is this a piss take. The water question is a classic. example.

Just eat a little less of a balanced diet, drink plenty of water and do exercise most days of the week. Two pounds per week will gradually come off. That is it

Top Bottom